Turn Your Steam Trading Cards Into Games With Steam's Holiday Auctions

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Doesn't sound like it will be worth the hassle. It just sounds like it will result in a whole lot of effort and still "cost" more than people expect because of the disassociation of the cards and their monetary value. I am also concerned about the gambling component of the whole thing.

But I'm sure it'll be a good time to sell those stupid cards to people who spend far too much money of them.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
SomebodyNowhere said:
EDIT: And it's gone
[Insert South-Park Meme]

Didn't take Valve long that time... Don't worry, I'm sure they'll come up with something new and equally ridiculous.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
Seems like the event is gone now. From the hearsay in the Steam discussion forums it seems like people are exploiting the system (as expected in a free market) and drove the gem price down.

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
VanQ said:
I gotta say that with other digital platforms popping up and challenging Steam's dominance, turning the platform itself into a F2P game is pretty ingenious.
To be fair, I found trying to maximize returns from selling cards last sale a more engrossing game than most games I ended up buying. Like Racettear or something

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
dragongit said:
bloody wish they had this system earlier. I've sold hundreds of cards for like 10-20 cents on the item trade. I could have had a ton more by now. Now I feel dumb.
lol yeh i either sold or just gave away random stuff..............BUT now its gone :( the the hell happend ?

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
Would it be more profitable to wait until after the auction ends?

If a bunch of cards are taken out of the market, it might increase the value of the other cards cause the market won't be so saturated.

Hhhmmmmmmm

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
dragongit said:
bloody wish they had this system earlier. I've sold hundreds of cards for like 10-20 cents on the item trade. I could have had a ton more by now. Now I feel dumb.
Last night, 1000 gems were going for $0.03. If you sold cards for $0.10 each, you made a profit.

I'm just happy I was able to clean up my inventory.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's difficult not to be suspicious of this system. Even if cards are only worth a few cents a piece, that still seems like a more certain prospect than turning those cards into gems whose value is measured against everyone else who's turning their cards into gems for bidding purposes, and then possibly devaluing them further by turning them back into random cards when your bid fails.

I think I would be far more likely to secure the value of a game by just selling my cards.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
a few things to note:
1) I completely question the dates in this article. considering that the start date, and end date of the auction on the webpage (even link given state the 15th for the start, and 18th for the end. I didn't see any reference to the Sale start date.

2) why the F*** hell are we using Gems. I mean really why did they decide to go with the most lazy Freemium super currancey they could see. why could they not just call it Steam points at least at that I could see a uniqueness to it.

Svarr

Nov 2, 2011
esserin said:
Would it be more profitable to wait until after the auction ends?

If a bunch of cards are taken out of the market, it might increase the value of the other cards cause the market won't be so saturated.

Hhhmmmmmmm

Shhh! XD

Haziq Abd Halim

Dec 23, 2014
I has 2014 holiday foil card.When is the best time to sell this card because right now it is really cheap and before the holiday sale(Holiday Auctions) the price for the card foil card is more than a dollar.