TV Shows that Ended Well (A thinly-veiled Chuck post-mortem)

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Thyunda said:
The British series of Life On Mars ended incredibly well. David Bowie has never sounded so...awesome.
I hated the ending for Life on Mars. I just felt cheated, like nothing was explained.

I know that it was meant to end a bit ambiguously, but I hate that in shows.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
The Prisoner.

Nothing is explained and everything is explained. It couldn't have ended any other way.

AudienceOfOne1

Oct 22, 2010
I was happy with the ending to Chuck, after an exceptional first 2 seasons and rather lack luster 3rd and 4th season, I felt it had run its course. The last season helped to give it a comfortable end although the shit with Sarah at the end was a little wtf.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kendarik said:
DustyDrB said:
[ Battlestar Galactica.
Even the producers of BSG admitted they slapped together the ending with no thought. The entire last season was a mess because the two producers weren't talking and were separately producing episodes. They didn't even write the last episode until part way through filming the last season.

That's one of the best examples of a failed final episode that destroyed the series.
The final episode wasn't particularly strong, but it and the lead-up to it worked well enough for me to close things out. I was sort of reaching to name shows that I thought ended well. I admit this one probably doesn't belong.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
WaysideMaze said:
Thyunda said:
The British series of Life On Mars ended incredibly well. David Bowie has never sounded so...awesome.
I hated the ending for Life on Mars. I just felt cheated, like nothing was explained.

I know that it was meant to end a bit ambiguously, but I hate that in shows.
Ashes to Ashes, the spin-off, explains it a little better, so I've been told. I've yet to see that though.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Home Movies, there was a small audio mess up with the ending but a fan fixed it and you can see it in its intended glory.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Sticking to the better series I've watched (avoiding spoilers):

[HEADING=3]THE GOOD[/HEADING]

THE WIRE: 5th season was a dropoff after the amazing 4th season, and I'm glad the show ended when it did, but you can't say there wasn't closure for all the major character arcs, plot lines, and themes.

SIX FEET UNDER: Almost a comical amount of closure. Also, if you've suffered loss, or are just a sensitive person, the last 10 minutes of the final episode are impossibly wrenching.

THE OFFICE (UK): Surprisingly sweet and sentimental ending to arguably the best comedy television series of all time.

EXTRAS: Nothing special to say, but a solid ending.

THE SOPRANOS: People can moan and whine all they like, I thought it was excellent.

[HEADING=3]THE BAD[/HEADING]

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: It got lost in all the shark jumping the show was doing in its latter seasons, but the finale was appalling. Shlocky, meandering, pointless. Almost ruins the show, really.

DEADWOOD: It just...ends. It was clear the show wasn't close to being finished. Firefly fans complain, but y'all got Serenity. Deadwood just falls off a cliff.

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER: Whedon did what he could with the final episode, but the damage had been done. The 6th and 7th seasons are disasters, and most of the 7th is borderline unwatchable.

THE SIMPSONS: END IT ALREADY KILL IT PUT IT OUT OF ITS MISERY FOR GODS SAKE

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
vrbtny said:
DustyDrB said:

Chuck.....sob.... I've only watched the finale two-hour special 10 times.... or more.

The ending was so good, yet left me so.... empty.

Sob.

Chuck, why you have to mistreat me so?
I have been re-watching the whole series with the exception of season 5. Just cant bring myself to watch cause the ending, be it as good as it is, is still an ending for a great show that i love.

And yeah, the ending left me empty as well.
I need some Chuck movie or another season or w/e to fill that void.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Hookah said:
Neverhoodian said:
Star Trek: The Next Generation had a great send-off with its final episode. It was a heartfelt ending to one of the best sci-fi shows in television history.
A fantastic scene, and a great ending. Although it poses one question, if everyone is playing poker, who's running the ship?
the red shirts that normally get killed!

Faulty Towers

always intended to be twelve episodes, twelve brilliant, never to be beaten episodes.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
DustyDrB said:
Battlestar Galactica.
Wait, what?

Along with someone else who mentioned Lost a few posts up, those are two of the worst ended shows ever. Both disregarded pretty much every interesting aspect of the show leading up to their conclusions and either disregarding it entirely, or provided a cop out answer that carried no weight, citing religious nonsense in place of answers.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
the clockmaker said:
Blackadder, espically blackadder goes forth,
"Good luck everyone"
Ah yes Blackadder truly had the best ending ever. It was sad and funny at the same time, it really was perfect.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Despite the legendary hate it's achieved I thought the ending to Battlestar was fantastic. For being unplanned it was surprisingly effective at wrapping up all of the remaining plots in a sensible, satisfying way. The mysticism became the best part of the series once it was allowed to come into its own in season 3, and the finale didn't wimp out on it.

Same thing with Lost, since the series was never about answers. It was about people, and that's what they focused on. If they had explained anymore it would have just felt cheap.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Lost had a fantastic ending.

Chuck's was very good as well; I was surprised, actually, that they were so ballsy with it. Talk about bittersweet.

And it doesn't strictly count, but the end of Michael Scott's era in The Office was brilliant.

Mike Richards said:
Same thing with Lost, since the series was never about answers. It was about people, and that's what they focused on. If they had explained anymore it would have just felt cheap.
I think people forget just how much they did actually explain anyway.