TV shows that hooked you in from the first episode.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
"Lost," "Friday Night Lights" and "Battlestar Galactica" (the reimagined version) were all series I had the luck to watch when they actually premiered, and they had me from day one. I'd also argue the pilots for each are in the series top 10 overall, which you can't say about many shows. "Firefly" would be on this list had FOX showed the pilot first. Alas they did not (still do not care for "The Train Job"), I tuned out, and it took me until I'd watched the series in the proper order on DVD to love it.

More recently, "Hannibal." I think that show either alienates you entirely or hooks you right away, and I was in right away.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Kill La Kill.

I liked how over the top it was right at the very start of the episode and aswell its presentation (the whole Guy Richie/ Kill Bill when introducing the main character names). What sold me was at this scene when the "don't lose your way" song kicked in!

Heh, funny. Blumenkranz (Raygo theme) was somewhat played (not fully) right at the first episode!
Oh yea, this 100%.

Along with that I would have to say Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Awesome action, a lead in to an adventure, and a glimpse of horrible tragedy. All of that along with it being very well written, orchestrated, and paced lead me through all 65 episodes in less than 4 days.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

The moment a giant mech crashed through the ceiling, only to have one of the protagonists jump up on a pile of rubble and unsheathe the longest damn katana ever and threaten the hulking monstrosity with the damn thing, I knew I was in for one helluva an amazing ride. And boy did they deliver.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Texhnolyze, Serial Experiments Lain, Haijime No Ippo, The Shield, The Wire, True Detective, Baccano!, Twin Peaks...

Just to name a few. Great stuff!

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Nielas said:
Justified had me hooked after the first scene.
Oh yeah. How the hell did I forget Justified? I'm a big fan. I've been following the final season too. It's one of the best crime dramas focused on law enforcement in years.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
JoJo's motherflipping Bizarre Adventure! Okay, that's cheating, because I saw the old Stardust Crusaders OVAs before the current show started. Episode 1 of Phantom Blood probably wouldn't have hooked me as quickly.

Also, Kamen Rider Fourze. Didn't even need the full episode. As soon as the main characters personality became clear I was 100% on board. I just wanted to watch whaveter show that character was in :)

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
This is a MUCH older tv show and before my time and is no longer doing reruns on TV but about the time I was in Junior High so I would have been 13 to 16 I think there was a TV show on every morning on the comedy channel called "Wayne and Shuster" it was a comedy show starring two famous Canadian comedians Jonhny Wayne and Frank Shuster. After seeing an episode, I was hooked. I got up early every morning before school just so I could watch it.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
Recently, I'd have to say Deep Space Nine. The way Wolf 359 was used to shape what would become one of my favorite characters ever, along with how he conquered a great amount of pain really pulled me in.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
True Detective, The Affair, Sherlock are about the only recent tv shows that have me hooked. All three of them from the first episode.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Firefly, Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, that's all I can think of offhand. Most of my other shows that I love, had a specific episode somewhere in the middle of the first season or so that sold me. Like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, after about 6 episodes of Joss throwing stereotypical red herrings at me, and totally tricking me with them. "Oh look, it's a helpless girl who is about to be eaten by the monster, yep, she's even walking backward into a crypt in a graveyard, my god, can he be any more clich...*girl turns around, actually BEING the monster, and eats someone else that I was lead to believe to be the monster*.....well played."

Ramus

Nov 21, 2014
TV: Breaking Bad, no real competition here.
Animated: Full Metal Alchemist (Both versions, but the original had a superior introduction.)