TV shows that resonate with you

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
So yesterday I had a break up (amiable, still hurt though) and immediately decided to binge watch ANYTHING and ended up watch "accidentally in love". As a mid 20's English male who loves sport, a Chinese rom-com is probably the weirdest choice I could have made, yet I am so glad I did.

Please do not read spoilers til you get the whole way through if you decide to watch it

The scene where the main male lead, Si Tu Feng, is forced to pick between a girl who he genuinely loves, and a girl who will hurt herself (2 x attempted suicide) if he leaves her, hit me hard. I've been in that situation, with someone who doesn't understand that I don't love them, and that used their only real power over me - blackmailing and guilt - to make me stay with them forever, regardless of my own happiness. The scenes were done well and really showed how unhinged and fucked up the situation is

As well as this, the scene between Feng and his father towards the end of the series
Where his father apologises for his actions - he did not mean to be neglectful or demean his son, but simply did not know how to interact with his son despite only wanting the best for him - was huge as I have had something similar recently. I love my dad, but he did not know how to cope with my lack of motivation, my use of media as an escape, my lack of a future plan. With one hand he would praise me for certain actions, with others he'd belittle me to the point of tears. I was not stable when I was a teenager to begin with, and my dad was horrified with my actions of (very minor) self harm. Looking back, it's obvious that my dad didn;t know what to do, and being a father was difficult for him due to his own family (He was very close to his dad, who abandoned my grandma, my dad and my 2 uncles for a younger woman when my dad was entering his early teens). My dad wanted the best for me, but didn't know how to express it. My dad has since apologised, and on his birthday I gave him a card explaining that I had forgiven him, understood and just wanted to enjoy the rest of our time together. So yeah, that scene/... hit hard.

Finally, on a lighter note after my breakup, seeing one of the secondary characters (Gu Nan Xi) bemoan being too nice to get any interest and having people question his sexuality because of his personality hit very VERY close to home and made me laugh, but at least he got a happy ending.

So what shows resonate with you and just "get" you on so many levels. Also 10/10 would recommend accidentally in love as a post breakup binge.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Gargoyals: AN old Disney Cartoon from the 90's. As a child it just looked cool. As an adult you can better enjoy the good writing, the Shakespearean references, the moraly high concepts like the dangers of irrsponsability with guns, family, what is truth, who are the real monsters, adapting to a whole new world, and so on. Also most of the bridge staff of Star Treck: The Next Generation make most of the voicework.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Doctor Who. As a time-traveling alien with a rotating crew of companions, a rust bucket of a time machine, and multiple lives, it really resonates with me.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
That resonate with me?

Probably the Anime Hibike Euphonium, I would love to pretend that I'm some sort of badass character but in reality my personality is very similar to the main character Kumiko just more apathetic because nothing in my life has ever worked out fine, plus I'm a bit more antisocial, but yes my attitude is remarkably similar to that character to the point that it kind off gives me the chills, I'd probably be a lot more like her if I was from a fisrt World Country and had actually bothered finishing that level of education.

But yeah, to be honest, I do tend to get a bit emotional when I watch it because it astounds how close her reactions are to mine in similar situations, kinda weird because our lives are nothing alike but her personality is pretty much spot-on to an almost eerie degree.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
TaleSpin. Because dogfighting seaplanes and sky pirates in zeppelins are awesome and why does nobody else understand this

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Don't think anything has resonated in its' entirety so far. Maybe Spaced has gotten the closest, followed up by Black Books. Breaking Bad did a pretty impressive job also.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I sorta identified with the guy from Black Mirror episode "USS Callister" up until the part where he was uploading the DNA of his co-workers into his fantasy world and was abusing them. Then I was like "Nope, don't identify with you anymore, you're an asshole."

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Canadamus Prime said:
I sorta identified with the guy from the first episode of Black Mirror up until the part where he was uploading the DNA of his co-workers into his fantasy world and was abusing them. Then I was like "Nope, don't identify with you anymore, you're an asshole."
You totally got me confused for a while there. The actual first episode was the PM being forced to fuck a pig live on the internet. I had no idea how you could identify with that

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
trunkage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
I sorta identified with the guy from the first episode of Black Mirror up until the part where he was uploading the DNA of his co-workers into his fantasy world and was abusing them. Then I was like "Nope, don't identify with you anymore, you're an asshole."
You totally got me confused for a while there. The actual first episode was the PM being forced to fuck a pig live on the internet. I had no idea how you could identify with that
...what? I was talking about the one with the software company and the Star Trek expy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
To me that's Nick show "The Loud House".

Ok sure I don't have ten sisters that the protagonist Lincoln has but I do have an older brother.

While I don't get into the same situation that he has to deal with but there are common grounds in the shows that siberly do have to deal with like for me, the episode "The Sweet Spot" (when Lincoln find the ideal spot to sit in the car and has to make sure his sisters doesn't get it) is like when I have to deal with my bro on which TV channels to watched in the morning before going to school! Oh and the episode "Changing the baby", I can relate to Lincoln in his frustations that he can't find a common ground to share with his sisters. Ok sure me and my bro were both into video games and films but I never understand the appeal of Action Force (GI Joe) he had and it infuriate me he always falls asleep during a Studio Ghibli film!

Also I would sterotype my brother as Lori in the show. I lost count the amount of time we were doing something like example watching a film and he get a phonecall from a friends and goes off to chat!

Lastly I guess it also have to do with that Lincoln sisters are all different to him but they still connect (and I don't mean by blood) which is like me. These days I am the polar oppersite to my brother!

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
M*A*S*H* dtill holds up strong. Despite taking place in rhe three year long ish Korean war it lasted 11, even being popular in antiwar 70s

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Canadamus Prime said:
trunkage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
...what? I was talking about the one with the software company and the Star Trek expy.
You said first episode. Star Trek VR episode was first episode of the last season. Two different eps

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
trunkage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
trunkage said:
Canadamus Prime said:
You said first episode. Star Trek VR episode was first episode of the last season. Two different eps
It was the first one Netflix showed me so I assumed it was the first episode. My mistake.

EDIT: There, corrected my original post.