TV Shows

Helikaon

Sep 18, 2012
I seem to go through phases of obsessively watching every episode of a show over the course of a few months. It started with South Park, a good few years ago now. Then I moved onto the X-files, then House, a few others here and there, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, and now most recently Breaking Bad.

Before long there are no more episodes to watch, so I've got to find something else. I've come to the end of Breaking Bad (cannot wait for the new episodes this year!), but in the meantime, there's a TV-show hole in my life that needs to be filled!

Here's where you come in! You get to talk about your favorite shows! What shows have you done this with? What did you like and dislike about them? What first got you into them? What's your food of choice while watching them?

If anyone has suggestions for a good show to fill the void, feel free to sell them to me, I'm all ears!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I did this with 24... then Twin Peaks... then Mad Men... then The Sopranos...
I regret going through 7 years of The Sopranos in just a couple of few months. Wish I had caught the show while it was still fresh on the TV instead of binging through it.
Also I liked drinking coffee while watching Twin Peaks (damn good coffee).

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm going through Borgia at the minute on Netflix, and just finished watching Justified today.

Anyway, I love Borgia as it has lots of nasty politics and over the top reactions, and Cesare is absolutely awesome as a character. Justified is a really good series thanks to the Raylan Givens & Boyd Crowder...the actors who play these characters are just phenomenal and it's well worth a watch.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Arrested Development - Fantastic comedy, one of the best around in my opinion (at least that the Americans have made), criminally underwatched. Perfect time to get back into it too, what with it coming back this month!

House Of Cards - Both the original British version, and the new American one. Political thriller. Original was probably Ian Richardson's finest hour.

The Thick Of It - British political comedy. Hilarious as well, but if nothing else will improve your vocabulary tenfold, at least when it comes to calling someone an arsehole. (basically there's lots of imaginative swearing)

Community - Another great American comedy. Very geek/internet culture orientated. Not in the Big Bang Theory way of "SHELDON, Nintendo! BAZOOPER!" but there's lots of meta-humour, and plays with cliches and tropes.

Scrubs - 8 seasons of some of the best comedy that still manages to have plenty of emotional moments, more so than any other I've watched I would say.

So there's a few. All of them besides Scrubs aren't particular long, so shouldn't take long to get through.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Sherlock for an entertaining, contemporary take on the Holmes stories of olde.

It's already been mentioned, but Justified. The character arcs in this past season were fantastically sublime.

And finally, Homeland. I just started this but what a thrilling show. I can see why it's been getting all of those accolades.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
I don't watch much TV, though I am a fan of animation, so I'll usually marathon a good show if I find one.

...recently discovered Gravity Falls, and I pretty much can't stop thinking about it; it's really damn good.

I've been told it's rather like

Johnny Novgorod said:
Twin Peaks
, so I've been considering looking into that until the next episode's out.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011

Doctor Who
<youtube=tCnXBD8TKJg>
Battlestar Galactica (2005, then 1972)
Beast Wars
<youtube==N-w1EzJUDkQ>
Star Wars: Clone Wars (2008 Sereis especially

Transfromers Prime
<youtube=7dptkAkSDGE>
Transformers: Animated
<youtube=RsinHUecoxA>
Star trek: All of them (Except Enterprise)
<youtube=kh9GDlGZm7Y>
<youtube==-SMyk-unHIk>
<youtube=fg_6eeJ5eVc>

And the best show of all...

<youtube=vcYZg_9qER0>

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Hm, the last thing I really binge-watched was Scrubs. It started off so great, and remained that way through a couple of seasons... Next thing I knew, I was watching season six and I didn't know why. Now, I couldn't abide having wasted all those hours, so even though it caused me near physical pain, I ended up just finishing the show simply to be done with it.

Yeah, that was not a fun experience.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Death Note - It's an anime mind you but it tells an interesting and ongoing story like many of the shows you listed. Goes on for 2 seasons and has a conclusion. I dislike the ending but the vast majority of the show was excellent.

Columbo - The pacing of this series is just terrible along with the music. That being said there's just so much charm and enjoyment out of watching that character go through the motions. To this day it is still my favorite detective/police/crime series.

Batman: The Animated Series - There are so many great stories told in this series. This is Batman in his prime.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
saintdane05 said:
And the best show of all...

<youtube=vcYZg_9qER0>
At least they're genuine people and not the kind of terrible assholes that propagate other reality TV shows.

One of my friends and I watched the entire first season of the best anime ever in the span of about two nights, while trying to put together the equipment for an LP.

There's something super nostalgic about that opening.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Innegativeion said:
...recently discovered Gravity Falls, and I pretty much can't stop thinking about it; it's really damn good.
I know right? I'm not too big on most cartoons (never got into MLP, I'll sometimes go back and watch a few of the old Nick cartoons from back in the day) but Goddamn do I love me some Gravity Falls. I'll suggest Better off Ted- only lasted two seasons but has an arrested development, Office style sense of humor that I found hysterical.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Definitely check out The Sopranos if you're a fan of Breaking Bad and other shows like that. It's a bit dense at first, lots of characters and you almost need to learn a new language to keep up sometimes (no worse than Game of Thrones now that I think about it though) but it's very, very good. So many great performances.

Riptide1

Oct 28, 2010
Well... I've been doing a lot of binge watching on Netflix recently too so here goes.

Its been said but Scrubs - god i love scrubs, Great comedy with just enough drama to make you reflect on life and keep it grounded, prolly my favorite series of all time.

Super Natural - Pair of brothers going around the country killing demons and ghosts whats not to like. Great action and some moments of pure comedy gold.

Firefly - If you have not seen this do. Sort of Space cowboy thing, kind of... a bit. Great show but not may episodes, has a movie to finish it off though.

Dexter - The daily life of a serial killer that works as a blood spatter annalist for the Miami police. The trinity killer season was amazing. Its fun to root for a man that stabs people in the heart, chops up their bodies and dumps them in the ocean.

Doctor Who - One of the only shows where i do not see right away how things are going to work out. Gotta love the doctor.

Eureka - A man of average intelligence works as a sheriff in a secret government town that holds the best scientific minds in the world... And Shit is always going wrong.

Warehouse 13 - A team of people that work for the government to track down and recover lost and dangerous "mystical" artifacts and store them in Warehouse 13. Has some crossovers with with Eureka.

Merlin - An interesting view of the Arthur / Merlin story. Great medieval fantasy show.

Lost - Crazy mysterious and twisting story line, ending sucked and left a lot unanswered but over all a great show.

Heroes - Some people discover they have superpowers and there is always a super villain. Great show overall.

Sherlock - Great re-imagining of a modern Sherlock Holmes. Each episode is pretty long but its really good.

Wilfred - A man sees his neighbors (who he is pretty much in love with) dog as a man wearing a dog costume, they become best friends and the whole thing is just hilarious.

Psych - Started watching this and didn't like it that much but kept watching cause there was nothing better to watch, slowly got into it. So far not bad It has its moments.

Once Upon a Time - Weird premise but if you can get beyond the fact that modified classic fairy tails are the main everything in this show it is pretty interesting. Its weird but oddly compelling.

Weeds - I only saw the first few seasons of this and haven't gone back in a while but its a suburban mom sells weed to support her family after her husband dies. I stopped watching because it started getting to serious about its self but the first few seasons were great.

Honorable mentions (shows i haven't watched but was told are good)

Shameless (US) - Seen a few of these and their good have some friends that love it but i never got around to starting form the beginning. Haven't seen any of the original UK version so can't comment.

Grimm - There is a guy who is what is called a Grimm and he keeps the monster population in check... or something like that, Saw a part of an episode and a friend really like this but haven't watched it myself yet.

There are more but i just cant think of any right now... i guess this is a long enough list anyway so yea...

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hmmm...I'd recommend the original Doctor Who.

Cause it goes on forever...also maintains a high quality for most of it, but you won't have to worry about reaching the end for ages.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I've watched Supernatural since season 2 and really enjoy it.
Merlin and Dexter are also shows I enjoyed althou Dexter I haven't watched since season 4

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
My ex used to download a load of his favourite shows and we'd watch it together. We watched all of Heroes in a few months and I'm sad they never finished it.
We watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead before the 3rd season started.
Tried to watch Lost but only saw a couple of episodes.

I want to get into breaking bad and mad men. I know my boyfriend has BB on DVD *hint* :3

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Well I have gotten into Hannibal recently. I really like it. Little slow sometimes, I don't dock a show based off of that. Like something that is well written and acted.
[http://photobucket.com/images/hannibal]

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I'm going through a Stargate bender right now. Going to go through all of them except of course SGU... Babylon 5 is really, really good.

Aug 1, 2010
Start with the very first episode of Classic Doctor Who and watch the entire series. Should keep you busy for a while.

Also it's been mentioned, but Community is really fantastic. The geeky humor in it is really The Big Bang Theory done correctly and not utterly terrible. It actually understands what it's making fun of. Also the celebrities that show up are always wonderful. My jaw hit the floor when Ironside walked in.

EeveeElectro said:
Why is your name not EspeonElectro if Eevee evolved.

This is causing me great distress.