TV's Most Powerful Moments

I.N.producer

May 26, 2011
O.J. Simpson was a bigger deal than JFK's assassination? That alone says this list is crap. Even by the article's criteria, these aren't even really the "Most Powerful" moments. They're just the most talked about and watched.

Granted, some of them do belong on the list, like 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, Challenger, Columbine, etc. Things that matter should have been listed, not OJ, Casey Anthony and Whitney Houston. It's just a completely misnamed list. It's also kind of funny that it's called "TV's Most Powerful Moments" when all the events are from real life.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
King Ramses' curse from Courage The Cowardly Dog.
Powerful enough to instil fear into any child's mind.

Oh, REAL events? I duno, none of them really struck out at me.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
Lists like these make me ashamed of being American. I mean Whitney Houston, Casey Anthony, OJ Fucking Simpson and not the moon landing? (sorry but mankind doesn't care about that leap.)

The problem with a list like this is that American news focuses almost entirely on someone who has an ounce of fame doing something or dying and the news spends days on it to make it seem tragic and important.

Oct 30, 2010
What a ludicrously broad use of "moment." Hurricane Katrina, for example, is not a moment.

Others are just phrased poorly. AFAICR, Osama wasn't shot on live television (or Whitney, or Columbine etc.)

edit: Not that it is the most important "moment" ever, but I think some of you are underrating O.J., at least as a National event.

May 5, 2010
I will organize my post into 3 parts.

Part 1
First off, I am an American. Just wanted to get that out there. I would also like to point out that 1000 people is hardly a relevant cross-section of my country's population. I'm pretty sure my high school had a bigger population then that. I guess what I'm trying to say is...Please don't judge my entire country for how terrible this list is.

Part 2
That really is a fucking awful list. Whitney Houston being on the list at all is ridiculous, much less ranked above the FUCKING JFK ASSASSINATION. And don't even get me started about OJ's bronco chase. AND where's the fucking moon landing?!

Part 3
Why is it called "Tv's Most Powerful Moments"? I mean yes, these things were all televised, but that wasn't exactly their defining feature. I was hoping this would be about FICTIONAL TV moments. So because I think that topic would be way better then this one, I'm going to nominate about half of Breaking Bad for the list.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Private Custard said:
Does no-one remember this guy?

Balls the size of watermelons. Fuck me Americans are insular. Then again if you asked Australians I'm sure Keating's Redfern speech and the apology to The Stolen Generation would rate highly. The absence of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, the Fall of the Berlin Wall, the Moon Landing, and the Chernobyl Disaster is telling.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Lists like these are always heavily biased towards recent events. I mean, the list spans fifty years of television, but half of the list is from the last ten years. And half of that is from the last two years! It's also all news. There's no sports, no entertainment, and no scripted series.

Here's some pre-1990 stuff that should be on the list...
1980 US hockey victory in the Olympics
The Beatles on Ed Sullivan
Michael Jackson's moonwalk
Neil Armstrong's ACTUAL moonwalk
Who Shot JR?
The finales of Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, or even Newhart
Mike Wallace reporting from Vietnam
I iz in Tienanmen Square stopping ur tank
Geraldo having his nose broken by a skinhead on TV

I agree with things like the Challenger explosion, or the 9-11 attacks, and even the Bronco chase, but the obvious omissions on this list make me sad. There's no way 85% of TV's most memorable moments happened in only the last 20 years.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Fuck that list... The Royal Wedding and the death of Whitney Houston and the O.J Simpson trial come before the JFK assassination?
And where in the mother of twenty unborn fucks is the Moon Landing in all of this?

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Oh I was thinking this was more like powerful TV show moments... if so i'm throwing in the finale of Scrubs :)

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
SeeIn2D said:
The Reagan Address

Moon Landing

Vietnam Broadcasted

Fall of the Berlin Wall

Fall of Berlin (WWII)

This list really does suck though. How the fuck can you not have the moon landing on the list? And how can OJ Simpson be on there not just once but twice. That's really shocking. But being American I know how Americacentric people can be and they probably would put OJ Simpson above the moon landing or the fall of Berlin -_-
I'm also wondering why these didn't make the list oh well.

These are not Television's most powerful moments. These are recent hype. Whitney Huston, I mean come on? Kennedy's assassination is below Obama's ascension? Seriously what the heck?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Nonfiction is for boring, boring people.

Honestly, Jurassic Bark probably has had a greater emotional impact than all of those combined.