TWD: Shane.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
So what with The Walking Dead resuming sometime tomorrow I thought now would be the perfect time to discuss a few things from the last season.
Obvious spoiler warnings, if you have not watched the last season, what the hell is wrong with you! Go watch it nao!

Anyway, what is everyones position on Shane?
Some people love him, some hate him, whats your stance and why?

Me, I like him as a character but also hope he gets shot in the throat. He is one of only 3 remaining characters in the show that I do like.
He just seems to be getting screwed over.
He does his best to protect everyone then Rick comes in from nowhere and just becomes the leader. He worked hard to protect Lori and Carl (God knows why. Lori is a absolute **** and Carl is just annoying.) and in return Lori does her absolute best to treat him like hes scum and blame him for everything once her husband came back even though it was her just ditching her kid to go bang in the woods.

He did go nuts at the end of the last season but to be fair he was not wrong. It may be a bit of a douchey thing to do just taking over the farm but Hershel was sending them out to almost certain death and keeping a barn full of zombies was just stupid.

On the other hand. He shot Otis. Now if not for that he would be by second favourite character after Daryl but I really liked Otis. He reminds me of my father so naturally I took that harder than I otherwise would.
And even considering the situation they were in he could at least have shot Otis in the head and spared him the suffering of getting eaten alive. The Zs would still have gone after him as he was still fresh.

So yeah, if not for Otis I would love him.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I don't like him very much but I still appreciate him as a character, he really has been necessary for the story, creating conflict and what not. Personally I think he deserves to be taken out and I believe he will by the end of this run but we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I prefer the was he was in the comic. Shot dead by carl after losing his shit at rick for ruining his love life with Lori.

I am still a little off put by last season, because of it's crawling pace. I guess it has to be a money issue otherwise they wouldn't spend hours and hours derping around in the forest.

From my perspective this whole lost little girl saga feels like a weird plodding excuse to drag out Shane's character development. He has become the Wedge in the group so now they don't just have to follow Ricks leadership. I can respect his hard hitting, cutthroat logicality, but I find him to be a total douche the whole time.

Hopefully tomorrows episode sets things up for an exciting season because last season was kind of a flop for me.

kalt_13

Veteran n00b
Sep 14, 2008
the way I see it is, he's a nessicary character. If he wasn't there there wouldn't be any characer confict, it would only be human vs zombie.

I hope the actors rumoured new show won't interfer with walking dead. http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/23/walking-dead-walkout-cast-member-possibly-revealed-now-circling-lead-frank-darabonts-next-show/

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
XT inc said:
Hopefully tomorrows episode sets things up for an exciting season because last season was kind of a flop for me.
It is technically still the same season, they just split it into halves, doesn't make your point less valid I just thought it was worth pointing out.

launchpadmcqwak

Dec 6, 2011
were only just at season2 here in nz...so you guys kinda ruined it for me :(

OT: i think he was completely fucked over by that *****, even though he pretty much saved her and her son.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
XT inc said:
I prefer the was he was in the comic. Shot dead by carl after losing his shit at rick for ruining his love life with Lori.

I am still a little off put by last season, because of it's crawling pace. I guess it has to be a money issue otherwise they wouldn't spend hours and hours derping around in the forest.

From my perspective this whole lost little girl saga feels like a weird plodding excuse to drag out Shane's character development. He has become the Wedge in the group so now they don't just have to follow Ricks leadership. I can respect his hard hitting, cutthroat logicality, but I find him to be a total douche the whole time.

I thought that their reason for the show being oddly paced was that the transition from season 1 to two was supposed to have been started with a 2 episode mini arc that showed the back story of the dude in the tank that Rick found in season one. I remember a story saying that he was some minor celeb and that he was a friend of one of the season 1 writers who left, and when the writer left the guy left too. The mini arc was supposed to show what happened to the world while Rick was KO'd in the hospital. But with that falling through the leftover writers had to extend the farm plot out.