Twitch Plays Pokemon Starts Pokemon Emerald, Plays as a Girl

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Twitch Plays Pokemon Starts Pokemon Emerald, Plays as a Girl

The third generation of Twitch Plays Pokemon has kicked off, and this time, the trainer is a girl.

Last week, Twitch Plays Pokemon the stream has now resumed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132954-Twitch-Plays-Pokemon-Beats-Pokemon-Crystal], this time with Pokemon Emerald, from the third generation of Pokemon games. Also, this time, Twitch has managed to pick the female trainer, giving her the nickname, "A".

While viewership faltered a little with Pokemon Crystal, Emerald seems to be drawing in some crowds again (at least at the start), with the current viewership hovering around 30,000 "players". Still a far cry from Pokemon Red's 100k+, but still pretty impressive.

Long-time fans of the series will notice that the game's "Democracy mode", which was first introduced as a mode that could be "voted in" in Pokemon Red, and then was set on a timer for Crystal, has actually been disabled on Emerald. Whether this is good or bad has yet to be seen, although it is worth noting that, at time of writing, it's been over an hour and we haven't even picked our starter...

The stream's creator says that no romhacks or codes are being used, though here's hoping he has inserted some custom content into the game, like how the Red we faced in Crystal used the same team from Twitch Plays Pokemon Red.

Check out the stream right here [http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon].

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Oh man, the start of this game was kinda hectic. They managed to soft reset on the emulator several times and restarted their characters. The first was a girl named / (aka Slasha), then a girl named Camilla (one of the default names) and then a boy named T (aka Mr T). This went on for about 20 minutes.

And they also started with Torchic.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Raggedstar said:
Oh man, the start of this game was kinda hectic. They managed to soft reset on the emulator several times and restarted their characters. The first was a girl named / (aka Slasha), then a girl named Camilla (one of the default names) and then a boy named T (aka Mr T). This went on for about 20 minutes.

And they also started with Torchic.
Oh, those weren't flukes? I had a feeling, but somehow Camila seemed too exotic.

Anyway, since they only have one Pokemon, and...everything else which hinders progress in TPP, they're getting wrecked. I'm pretty sure they just got stomped in the the first battle with the rival, but even when I'm playing myself, that battle puts me on edge. Crits can swing it either way unless you're done some grinding.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
I think it kinda lost it's charm when Democracy mode became a thing, I can see it if people are really stuck or a part that could potential ruin a play through but if your not stuck on a ledge for 15 hours it's just not TPP.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Welcome Camila A Slasher, Gender-confused sociopathic girl with multiple personality disorder. Who's situation has suddenly gotten ten times worse with the advent of another four thousand people jumping into her head. Which, to put it mildly, sucks. They're petering out, however, so she has that going for her.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Eve Charm said:
I think it kinda lost it's charm when Democracy mode became a thing, I can see it if people are really stuck or a part that could potential ruin a play through but if your not stuck on a ledge for 15 hours it's just not TPP.
They actually appear to have REMOVED democracy mode, at the moment. Maybe you'll like it now.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I'm honestly surprised Nintendo haven't stepped in and taken this down by now. Did Twitch receive special permission from Nintendo to emulate the games and present them to this many viewers? Aren't there all kinds of copyright thingies involved here? Shouldn't there be entire encampments of lawyers on Nintendo's front lawn shouting "Pick me! Pick me!"?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
VanQ said:
I'm honestly surprised Nintendo haven't stepped in and taken this down by now. Did Twitch receive special permission from Nintendo to emulate the games and present them to this many viewers? Aren't there all kinds of copyright thingies involved here? Shouldn't there be entire encampments of lawyers on Nintendo's front lawn shouting "Pick me! Pick me!"?
Well, the reason the youtube stuff went the way it did was based on how Youtube handled copyright, not Nintendo, it just swung in their favor. Pretty sure twitch just doesn't share the policies.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Houseman said:
I hope soft-resets won't be a thing now. Imagine getting all the way to the champion and then accidentally deleting the save data.
IIRC, TP Red disabled soft resets after they accidentally triggered all the inputs in sequence.

Well, without democracy, we know Sky Pillar won't be happening. Of course, not that it would even be doable otherwise.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Okay, so I just checked it out and all they did was constantly post random button inputs and not get anywhere, entering menus again and again and running into walls. I have to admit I didn't check out the previous ones, but if anarchy mode is what they usually went with, it's amazing they made it through the games at all. It also makes it unwatchable, though: Running into the same wall over and over is funny for maybe two minutes, then it gets tedious. I guess this is more something that you'd want to "check in on" every now and then to see whether they made any progress or not, but not something to actually watch.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Ferisar said:
VanQ said:
Well, the reason the youtube stuff went the way it did was based on how Youtube handled copyright, not Nintendo, it just swung in their favor. Pretty sure twitch just doesn't share the policies.
I think Nintendo are happy for their content to be on youtube as long as they get the ad revenue.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Sweet another one of these, even If I don?t really play the game I?m always fascinated to see which direction the game and the lore takes.

I?m curious or they?re going to try and beat the battle frontier.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
And now the nostalgia hits hard, Ruby was my first ever Pokemon game, very tempted to give it a spin again myself. I'm glad they disabled democracy mode, it was getting overused in my opinion...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
No Democracy mode = never gonna complete the final gym. I means, gyms 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8 are all puzzle gyms, and will all take time to complete, but the eighth gym will be nigh impossible without democracy. This is what it looks like:

That's what I was going to mention...how the hell are they supposed to beat the ice gym? That alone will likely take a week for anarchy mode to come up with the perfect (necessary) sequence of movements to progress.

ArchAngelKira

Mar 25, 2010
I feel like they'll take a bit longer on Gen 3 just because Gen 3 has lots of backtracking and getting lost moments.