Twitter Clarifies Rules on Harassment And Deleted Accounts

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Twitter Clarifies Rules on Harassment And Deleted Accounts

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/108/108285.jpgFollowing criticism that Twitter accounts supported ISIS recruitment, the social media platform has clarified its rules on harassment and banned content.

Twitter can be quite the conflicted social media platform at times. While it's a great open forum which facilitates direct communication on the Internet, that open model also makes it home to some of the worst excesses of online abuse and harassment - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139771-Anonymous-Attacks-ISIS-Social-Media-Accounts-OpISIS>up to and including an actual ISIS recruitment campaign. In response to such concerns, Twitter has clarified what it considers violent and abusive behavior while updating its rules regarding banned content and deleted accounts.

"The updated language emphasizes that Twitter will not tolerate behavior intended to harass, intimidate, or use fear to silence another user's voice," Twitter Director of Trust and Safety Megan Christina wrote. "As always, we embrace and encourage diverse opinions and beliefs - but we will continue to take action on accounts that cross the line into abuse."

Twitter's updated rules don't mention ISIS explicitly, but provide a more detailed definition of what constitutes online abuse. Where prior rules contained vague definitions for threats and violence, these new terms state "you may not promote violence against or directly attack or threaten other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability or disease."

As of writing, there are no stated changes to Twitter's enforcement practices, but Christina follows up with a brief summary of tools used to block, mute, and report abusive posts. "One of the areas we've found to be effective in this multi-layered strategy of fighting abuse is creating mandatory actions for suspected abusive behavior," she continues, "such as email and phone verification, and user deletion of Tweets for violations. These measures curb abusive behaviour by helping the community understand what is acceptable on our platform."

Twitter was already working to revise its policies earlier this year, but the conversation changed when it was revealed that ISIS controlled 46,000 Twitter accounts from September to December of 2014. More recently, Congress proposed legislation that would force social media sites to disclose potential terrorist activity to federal agencies. While such updates were probably in the works anyway, it's certainly a good time for Twitter to clarify the difference between "freedom of expression" and "online abuse" before any legislation arrives.

That said, Twitter's rule changes aren't all about violence and harassment. They also describe how Twitter might respond to reports of individuals inflicting self-harm, such as contacting them directly and providing resources from mental health professionals.

Source: <a href=https://blog.twitter.com/2015/fighting-abuse-to-protect-freedom-of-expression>Twitter, via <a href=http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/29/twitter-clarifies-rules-on-banned-content-abusive-behavior>Toronto Sun

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
They can claim it all they want, but we've long passed the point anyone who isn't hopelessly naive isn't aware of the fact it's purely politics that determine whether you're going to get banned. If you're in disagreement with a specific ideology, you'll be banned point blank, while being in agreement with it will allow you to threaten people all day long without fear. The only shocking thing about it seems to be the literalist interpretation of Islam seem to be included in the group that can get away with everything.

I actually have to wonder how a site like Twitter got popular in the first place. Even ignore the fact it has become a cancer of the internet, even before that happened I'm genuinely curious how its interface managed to make it popular.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zontar said:
I actually have to wonder how a site like Twitter got popular in the first place. Even ignore the fact it has become a cancer of the internet, even before that happened I'm genuinely curious how its interface managed to make it popular.
Probably because it satisfies modern society's hunger for contextless sound bites (or text bites, rather), and it also satisfies people's desire to derp out such trivialities to anyone who'll listen.

Oh, and there's also the way Twitter plays perfectly into the outrage culture that the internet today is plagued with.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I wonder what constitutes as an "attack", and the degree it is carried out with depending on who said it and who moderates it.
Common sense would dictate that common sense would apply, but it's not that common really.
As Iceforce said, Outrage culture is in effect.
Things can be taken out of context and especially with a conversation going in with each sentence being 140 chars or less.
I can see some flaws with each and every stated "insert protected group here".

Race: "Race make up 80% of prison population" discussion.
Ethnicity: See race..
National origin: So..you can no longer say that Americans in general are fat? Oohh, they missed one topic. ,)
Sexual orientation: Discussion about difference between Pedophilia and Ephebophilia?
Gender identity: Otherkin?
Religious affiliation: Can I still debunk..I mean debate fairy tales at all now?
Age: Can I tell a minor they are too young to be on there?
Disability: Hmmm..Too tired to think of something.
Disease: How does HIV/AIDS spread and are breast cancer or prostate cancer more common and deadly?

I think it more a form of covering themselves and shotgunning it. As per usual.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
IceForce said:
Zontar said:
Probably because it satisfies modern society's hunger for contextless sound bites (or text bites, rather), and it also satisfies people's desire to derp out such trivialities to anyone who'll listen.
eh, the first things I ever heard about twitter were just the special deals and announcements you could get out alot more easily than you could with every other social media account at the time(like seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody told me the reason the place I work at gets repeat business is because of the first month of special deals and theme days you only heard of from twitter).

As an idea, it's fucking genius, too bad there's alot of bullshit going on in the background. Facebook might sell your account info, but at least they don't get rid of you because you had the nerve to tell someone you hoped they banged their small toe on a hard wood after two hours of death threats with no repercussions...they just get rid of you for having a funny name.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Oh and criticism is also harassment.... as shown again and again by twitter in the past. But only if said critisism is directed at professional victims and "free lance" feminists.

If youre on the other side and on the receiving end... tough luck buddy.. twitter cant help you with that. Twitter only protects special snowflakes and arseholes aslong as they lean with the SJW crowd. But as Briana Wu lately found out the wind can change pretty quickly in SJW valley... one wrong statement and suddenly youre the one getting hit in the face with their rhetoric. And unlike with the usual suspects who are to blame for everything in this case twitter wont help you. After all the perpetual offended are aparantly the only big group of people left who still regularly use twitter for all i know.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Fanghawk said:
<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139771-Anonymous-Attacks-ISIS-Social-Media-Accounts-OpISIS>up to and including an actual ISIS recruitment campaigns.
Typo.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
IceForce said:
Zontar said:

Oh, and there's also the way Twitter plays perfectly into the outrage culture that the internet today is plagued with.
the most amusing thing I've found about twitter is just who is the shitposter and who isn't.
Ice T? Talk'n heavy politics.
Mike Tyson? Only uses it to update public appearances and photo ops.
Nick Culmer? Posted sneaky pictures he took at a 15th century vanitas art gallery. (actually got him banned, lol, cuz yanno, you're kinda...not supposed to do that.)
Politicians? Taking snapshots of each other picking their noses and "accidentally" sending dick pictures to the wife of a rival candidate, also sometimes throwing racial slurs at one another like when all the Italian politicians dogpiled a judge calling him a gorilla.
Paul Zaloom? (Beakman's World) Posted a picture of his cat scratching up his butt.
Respected and revered film critic John Puccio? spent the first thousand or so tweets posting pictures of himself and his son 'teabagging noobs' in FPSes, before deciding to delete everything and go fully "professional"
It turns all the 10 year old boys into boring 50 year olds, and all the 50 year olds into 10 year old boys!
And for the love of all sanity don't even look at Graham Linehan's twitter.
It quite literally IS "Old man yells at cloud"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have my own slogan for Twitter. It goes, Twitter:It's useless anyway.

Lets be honest, inflammatory bullshit is all that site was ever meant for. The fact that every "journalist" writes stories based on Tweets should prove it to everyone. The internet would be a better place without it. The fact that the standard news networks use it to maintain their relevancy only reveals them as little more than glorified tabloid shows.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
My concern, much like others here, is that disagreements on specific subjects that do not appear to stray into abuse will see users banned and speech shut down.

One of the schools of thought that I find peculiar around all of this is about 'people abusing their rights', as though there is an intended way to use a right, which actually negates the notion of a right. There is currently a trend to clamp down on free speech to prevent presumed or even potential victimisation and offense.

We can just look at the peculiar trial in Canada to see that society doesn't know how to square free expression and modern equality schools of thought.
[link]http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-the-twitter-trial-of-gregory-elliott-is-becoming-much-like-twitter-itself-shrill-and-uber-sensitive[/link]

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I just use it to post stupid and somewhat hilarious shit like this:

https://twitter.com/Drive_the_Tacos/status/682259378322325504

https://twitter.com/Drive_the_Tacos/status/682260562168811520

And if you do just that, then I believe twitter will be a better place.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I really, really hope twitter tanks and sinks one day in the near future.

And at mods; don't you think it's not only ironic and obvious to warn rembrandtweinstein for his post? Or was that a joke? Because I genuinely laughed a bit. Good one! :D

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
So, hiring terrorists and people who tweet "death to the west" is fine.
Someone mentions GG with nothing violating terms, and the account is shut down over guilt by association.

What a farce!! If that rumor about the head of Twitter beating his wife is true and I'd start looking for their investors and demand a boycott.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Fanghawk said:
Twitter's updated rules don't mention ISIS explicitly, but provide a more detailed definition of what constitutes online abuse. Where prior rules contained vague definitions for threats and violence, these new terms state "you may not promote violence against or directly attack or threaten other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability or disease."

More recently, Congress proposed legislation that would force social media sites to disclose potential terrorist activity to federal agencies. While such updates were probably in the works anyway, it's certainly a good time for Twitter to clarify the difference between "freedom of expression" and "online abuse" before any legislation arrives.
Thats pretty big. They just said they will ban all misanthropists that infest twitter. Though im not aware of them actually doing it. maybe i should just give them time.

Given what in US is considered "potential terrorist activity" [http://www.activistpost.com/2013/08/72-types-of-americans-that-are.html] they may as well go out and say that they are spying on everyone.

Naldan said:
And at mods; don't you think it's not only ironic and obvious to warn rembrandtweinstein for his post? Or was that a joke? Because I genuinely laughed a bit. Good one! :D
discussing moderation is against this forums rules. Everything was done "by the book".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I wonder how they're defining "self-harm"? I mean, "I plan to shoot myself" or "I cut myself until the pain stops" seem pretty obvious, but what about a pattern of binge-drinking? There are a thousand and one stories of Facebook posts along those lines getting people in trouble; I don't doubt there are similar stories originating from Twitter.

Twitter may be setting itself up to fail. Either they're contemplating some sort of bot network that's likely to get a ton of false positives, or they're looking at an army of soon-to-be-burned out mods.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Callate said:
I wonder how they're defining "self-harm"? I mean, "I plan to shoot myself" or "I cut myself until the pain stops" seem pretty obvious, but what about a pattern of binge-drinking? There are a thousand and one stories of Facebook posts along those lines getting people in trouble; I don't doubt there are similar stories originating from Twitter.
Honestly, I don't think it'd be utilized in any way other than the obvious, physical harm situations. I mean, if it was ANY kind of self-harm, then surely the confirmation that you're on twitter at all would apply? *rimshot*