Twitter might be for sale

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://www.recode.net/2016/8/11/12417064/twitter-stock-ownership-takeover-acquisition-challenges

Article about it got me thinking about when this could happen and who might be interested. The obvious candidates are Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon, so has $18 billion spare to reinvigorate Twitter? Google hasn't cracked social media and Twitter could boost Microsoft's other products.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I'm going to place my bets on Google, they seem like they want a piece of all parts of the internet.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Hmmm, Twitter is a big property, I could see literally any big-name company buying for them. I could even see a bidding war for them from a multitude of companies.

I'm going to be a wild card here and place my bets on Disney. They've been on a buying frenzy thanks to Bob Igor, and I can easily see him buying Twitter for Disney as a parting gift with the Company (as his tenure as CEO is ending).

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Honestly, as big as twitter is, I'm not sure it's prime purchasing material. The other social media sites can't do much with it (Twitter's only strength is how limited it is, so it doesn't play too well with the more 'complicated' social sites), most of the big data mining corps don't really need twitters systems to get the job done, advertising on the site offers minimal benefits compared to everyone elses stuff, and ultimately, I'm not sure anyone really wants to be the guys that bought twitter.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Bobular said:
I'm going to place my bets on Google, they seem like they want a piece of all parts of the internet.
But they have google plus! Why on earth would they need any other social media service?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Oh noooooooooooooooooo... Wait, does this change anything at all? The service will still be the same. Just maybe more ads about how you can take advantage of others, single ladies near you and of course ghost accounts of women looking for "votes" for some adult site or something or fuck I care. Oh and harassment. Dont forget that.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I am legitimately amazed Twitter is still a thing. I was fully expecting it to go the way of Friendster and MySpace.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Silentpony said:
I am legitimately amazed Twitter is still a thing. I was fully expecting it to go the way of Friendster and MySpace.
No that would be Facebook. And let us not forget all the Twitter controversies in the past months like Milo's banning.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
AccursedTheory said:
Honestly, as big as twitter is, I'm not sure it's prime purchasing material.
I think it's perfect "purchasing material"; it's perceived value as a strategic acquisition (with an enormous active userbase) is far above its value as a direct generator of revenue. This means that companies are motivated to buy (to get at its userbase) while its owners are motivated to sell (they'll be offered more to sell out than they can possibly get from the site's revenue).

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
FalloutJack said:
I bid ten dollars. Otherwise, it's not worth it.
I shall match and beat that sir with ten dollars and 5 cents.

Wait, was I meant to go lower or higher?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Parasondox said:
FalloutJack said:

This is haggling. How low can you go?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
FalloutJack said:
Parasondox said:
FalloutJack said:

This is haggling. How low can you go?
As long as it takes. Nothing will stop me owning a worthless company. No money can break me down, I SHALL CRUSH YO... hey, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is finally on UK Netflix. SWEEEEEET!!

Oh right, the rights for Twitter. You have it. I can't handle narcissistic diarrhoea.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pyrian said:
AccursedTheory said:
Honestly, as big as twitter is, I'm not sure it's prime purchasing material.
I think it's perfect "purchasing material"; it's perceived value as a strategic acquisition (with an enormous active userbase) is far above its value as a direct generator of revenue. This means that companies are motivated to buy (to get at its userbase) while its owners are motivated to sell (they'll be offered more to sell out than they can possibly get from the site's revenue).
I think that may have been the case before, but not since its stocks went on the public market. Twitter went on the market and sold well initially despite never having made a single dollar in profit based on speculation that it would end up like Google or Facebook and find a way to monetise that would lead to profits. They have done no such thing, and have actually become a greater financial loss due to the drop in usage due to a combination of being a crappy site in general as well as the rise of lower scale competition, and the general consistence of quality for already existing competitors.

At the end of the day, Twitter is more toxic then Tumblr form a financial perspective. Only a moron would buy for a price that is not low enough for selling their assets would be profitable.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I dunno, Zontar, that looks like exactly what I'm saying. Not living up to their potential is exactly what motivates a strategic acquisition.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pyrian said:
I dunno, Zontar, that looks like exactly what I'm saying. Not living up to their potential is exactly what motivates a strategic acquisition.
But that's just it, they have no potential. There have been attempts to make money off the site, but it has proven time and again to not lead to anything but more financial losses.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
It's been speculated for long time now that Twitter is up for sale. However, Twitter has never made profit during it's 10 year life so it's difficult to see anyone buying them. Your usual suspects hedge funds and tech companies have shown no interest.

It's difficult for Twitter to make money, people are starting to get tired of adds and the firehose isn't enough alone. In the future I'm sure we'll see some kind of paid premium service.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Pyrian said:
Zontar said:
But that's just it, they have no potential.
A large, active user base is always an opportunity.
Not when that user base is shrinking and there's no entry into the financial black anywhere in site.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
North Korea will buy it and all hashtags will be #DearLeaderwhoisaperfectincarnationoftheappearancethataleadershouldhave