Two Tin Cans, One Marketing Stunt

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
I understand your desire to not drink sodas. I suppose I'm mostly alone but soda makes my soul vomit.

Monocle Man said:
Red and blue, MMORPG-related.

Are they blind?
Health Potion and Mana Potion. Helllooooo?

They half their sales with limiting their drinks to a certain faction.
Horde players will buy the red one, Alliance players will buy the blue one.

But all Horde and Alliance players need both Health and Mana potions!

Looks like I didn't lose hope in commercial-people so many years ago for nothing.
They keep doing it wrong. Whether it be just plain wrong sentences or making little kids believe tampons are candy (though that might not be entirely bad marketing).
Death Knights
Rogues
Warriors

That's 3 classes off the top of my head that don't need Mana Potions :p. So you just alienated anyone playing those classes ;).

Technically my priest hasn't touched a health potion since Elwynn Forest but that's another story entirely.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
cavsfan69 said:
If you've tried the previous flavors of mtn dew then you will know that the horde red one is the exact same as the one that came out for halo 3 and the alliance blue is a re-color and re-naming of another limited edition, Pitch Black, which is actually more of a grape flavor than the wild berry that the can suggests.
Note #1: Your first point is correct. Your second is not. The blue is a new flavor. It is similar to some other flavors, but none of those are Pitch Black. There is no grape whatsoever in Alliance Blue.

Note #2: Man, the rest of you really went and nerd'd up my article, didn't you? I've been playing World of Warcraft daily since most of you even knew it existed and I'm still cringing from empathetic embarassment. *shudder*

Lemmibl

Jan 27, 2009
/cast Shadowmeld
/cast Swift Flight Form
/Ungankable Druid, away~
OH MY GOD I HATE YOU. THAT HAPPENED ALL THE TIME. :(

Oh, and I certainly am glad I can't find this stuff in Sweden.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I seem to remember Mt Dew was withdrawn from sale in the UK due to us deciding the corn syrup was an illegal additive in some way, but I'll certainly take the advice and check the strange independent foreign food marts for it.

I did order a mixed case from cyber candy when the curiousity got too much, and at £30 for 24 cans, its an expensive treat, and voltage was just wrong in so many ways, but, yes, I think I'd drink regular Dew given the choice.

Those stores are worth checking anyways, just to see if they sell things like 'cock soup', in packets, just add water, for some badly translated chicken flavoured soup. I had to buy a pack just to prove its existence. :D

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Griever18 said:
When I first saw the Alliance one in stores I thought for a second they had brought back Pepsi Blue.

I miss Pepsi Blue.
*urp*

I just threw up in my mouth a little. Pepsi Blue was dag nasty. Worse than New Coke, even.

Pitch Black, on the other hand, I kinda liked.

Chiefmon

Dec 26, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
Why is the blue one always the least offensive? Be it game or life, the blue potion is always the really friendly looking one.

Why the hell was he suspended for this post?