Tyler Perry Reveals Animated Madea Movie

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Tyler Perry Reveals Animated Madea Movie

Prolific filmmaker's multimedia empire gets animated

Tyler Perry's... unique sensibilities and recurring stable of outlandish characters have made him a rich man and an icon among audiences often underserved by Hollywood, but they've also made him a frequent punchline for pop-culture pundits and some film critics. His first mainstream-crossover attempt, Alex Cross, was Gone Girl. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6431-Alex-Cross]

But second looks from critics or not, Perry isn't abandoning his moneymaking Madea character any time soon. The first trailer has debuted for Madea's Tough Love, the actor/director/screenwriter/playwright's first stab at an animated family feature. The plot finds the ever-rambunctious Madea (a sarcastic, violence-prone old woman played by Perry himself) sentenced to community service at a run-down children's center. Other characters from the Madea "universe" appear in the trailer, as well.

Originating in Perry's 1999 stage production of I Can Do Bad All By Myself, Madea is far and away Perry's most well-known creation. Her presence (usually at the center but frequently on the periphery) is the main connective-tissue that links dozens of Perry's plays, films and television series into a loosely-canonical "shared universe." He has said that the character, who combines an abrasive personality with a commitment to family and a stern moral code, is based mainly on his own mother and aunt.

Madea's Tough Love is due on DVD and streaming in January 2015.

Source: Lionsgate [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-E5kZXjBoA]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So is he getting tired of dressing in drag to film Madea movies, or have producers seen a decline in profits and are holding back some of the live action deals?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
That must be some bottom-of-the-barrel animation studio handling it, because Tyler Perry runs his productions dirt cheap and recklessly fast already. He doesn't spring for star power in his normal movies, and barely pays his extras (let alone feeds them, no joke), so cutting all of that out for a garbage animated movie means he or his handlers have found a way to somehow make Madea even cheaper.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

The best thing I can think of: at least it won't look like the CD-I Zelda games.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Because people were clamoring for this...they were beating down the door demanding a Madea cartoon...the people would not rest until their dream was realized!

No but seriously, who asked for this? Anyone? *crickets chirp*

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
"Token, stop giving Tyler Perry money or he won't go away."
Never thought Cartman would be relevant for something like this...

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
It's nice to see Tyler Perry doing something other than his typical plot.
Not so nice that he's still doing something.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
. . . . I am anticipating Angry Jake seeing this. *Shrugs* Who knows it might actually be better then his usual work, if so then i'll give it a watch, if not then not.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
No offense to anybody but his movies are terrible! Not because The writing is bad (which I think it is), bad acting or bad production value but because it's the same recycled material FOR EVERY FILM! Heck most of his movies use the same actors, doing the same thing but with different names. WHO DOES THIS?! And no offense once again it's the same people going to watch his terrible movies over and over again. I'm not just saying this because I am a white guy and "just don't get it." but because it's all true.

My wife is black and keeps renting the crap every time, and then looks at me and agrees it's bad. She only rents them because she keeps getting fooled by her sisters by them telling her "how good it is"

Why can't he just take his money and go? Why does one need more money then what he has made already? He seriously cannot believe what he is doing is creative anymore, and if so he's delusional.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This reminded me a lot of Drawn Together...Not a specific episode, not the movie, this just reminded me a lot of Drawn Together for some reason. I can't wait to see Brad's midnight review thing of it but that'll likely be all the attention I care to give to that movie, just like with the rest of Tyler Perry's movies.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
XenoScifi said:
No offense to anybody but his movies are terrible! Not because The writing is bad (which I think it is), bad acting or bad production value but because it's the same recycled material FOR EVERY FILM! Heck most of his movies use the same actors, doing the same thing but with different names. WHO DOES THIS?! And no offense once again it's the same people going to watch his terrible movies over and over again. I'm not just saying this because I am a white guy and "just don't get it." but because it's all true.

My wife is black and keeps renting the crap every time, and then looks at me and agrees it's bad. She only rents them because she keeps getting fooled by her sisters by them telling her "how good it is"

Why can't he just take his money and go? Why does one need more money then what he has made already? He seriously cannot believe what he is doing is creative anymore, and if so he's delusional.
I consider him the black Kevin Smith. He makes movies strictly for his audience and they enjoy it. *shrug*

I agree that he isn't really that good of a writer though. Why Did I Get Married, Too? is particularly offensive, with all the conflict seemingly resolved by the lady character going "FIX IT! FIX IT!"... Also, after indirectly killing her exhusband she gets to hook up with The Rock.

like WTF? That wasn't a romantic rom-com, it was the story of a man destroyed and ultimately killed by the loss of his child.

Aug 1, 2010
Willinium said:
. . . . I am anticipating Angry Jake seeing this.
This is my entire interest in the movie as well.

I can't wait for him and whoever gets dragged along with him to spend to first 10 minutes yelling at Brad.