Types of Pokemon you never/rarely use on your team

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
Poison, Ghost, and Dark types are my least used. I can never remember what they are super effective against and they never seem to just have straight up attacks. Also after a while into the game I stop using Normal types.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Poison type. I've never seen anyone who uses straight up poison. The only way a poison will make it on my team is as a secondary.

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
I'm gonna be the odd man out here. I like my psychic and dragon pokemon. My team usually consists of a ninjask, gallade, alakazam, dragonite, and two other pseudo-legends (depends on my mood). I'll also sometimes pull out a crobat, just because it makes me feel better to be on the other side of confuse.
Pokemon I usually avoid - Water, Normal (blissey being an occasional exception), Dark, Rock, Steel, Ghost, and Ice. I never seem to find anything in those families that seems to really have the power I am looking for.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I don't like Ugly ones. Or ones that are so overused its not even funny.

Oh!

I only have one Grass Type on my roster of Pokemon I use. I blame the fact that Grass Type's applications are far and few in between.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I'm surprised few of you guys have mentioned poison.

Unless poison is so unused that everyone just forgot about them. In which case, that's hilarious.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
I tend to try and mix it up as much as possible between runs, but I find that I very rarely use rock and fighting types (with the exception of Anorith/Armaldo and Heracross, both on the same team in a monotype bug run in Diamond), and never use steel or ice types.

My most used types would probably be bug, ghost and ground.
Bug probably winning by miles... I just like bugs... shut up...

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
I rarely use Grass type. I also tend to avoid Rock type. It's also not uncommon for me to have more than one water type, though one or both are usually dual-specced very differently.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Everything that dies to Stealth Rocks, 'cause you know, if you play standard there'll be those damn rocks EVERYWHERE.
Basically i don't play stuff, that is weak against alot of the current used attacks.
Sure you'll balance your team out to have switch-ins to soak up the damage, but still.

I'd say flying und bug types probably. Because outside of Heracross most bug's aren't worth it in OU and fliers.. meh. Low stats, mediocre attacks and a often horrible combos and flyin' alone just save you from EQ.

@Darkryter
Poision is not that unused. Gegnar and Tentcruel are poison types and they're OU pokemons.

And if we're talkin out side of PvP just the normal game: I use my starter.
That's all you need to clear every pokemon game i've ever played :)Play with the starter, catch the Plot-Legendary + one legendary with your masterball and rofl-stomp the Top4 with 3 pokemons ~10-20lvls higher then theirs.

If you want to overkill the NPCs backed them up with a Chansey/Blissey. Though Chansey + Evolit means you're basically immune to the S.Atks of the NPCs^^

PS: I just read Azaradel's post
Of course Ice. It's probably the worst type out of all types.
Fighting + Fire are probably one of the most used attacks (To fight Ferrothorn e.g) and takes a supereffective from stealth rocks.

That's why Arcticuno, even though he's a legendary bird, fights in the Underused bracket. Takin' 50% Hp dmg on entrance is just lulz.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Rarely use grass or bug Pokemon. I just don't find their moves that useful.

Favourites - fire, water and flying.

Lev The Red

Aug 5, 2011
almost every pokemon except the starter.

for the first... maybe 80% of the game i only use my water starter. i power level, so i'm almost always at least 5-10 levels higher than the trainers/gym leaders im expected to face at any given time.
then i catch that game's storyline legendary, and any other legendaries that are catchable before you go to the elite 4.

after i bet the elite 4, i go and catch... pretty much everything and train the ones i like the most.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I don't like Dark types unless they're a dual type (i.e. Tyranitar or Hydreigon). Ice and grass types don't often find their way into my team either. So many other types seem to do what they do, but much better. Their range of weaknesses is also kind of unappealing.

Favorites would have to be Psychic, Fighting, and Dragon.

May 17, 2010
Generally I make my team quite early as I find it pick a few at the beginning of the game and play with them exclusively as it feels more personnal to me so I usually have some common water poke (usually a decent special attacker but whatever) on surf duties, one of the birds or zubat on fly call and another poke to do HM duty. Usually I miss out on ice and dragon types due to their rarity

I tend to avoid fielind legendaries as well. Make things a tad too easy IMHO

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I haven't played Pokemon since, ummmmm...Sapphire, and before that the last one I had played was Red. But yeah, back in the standard version of the game before they started creating pokemon with themes such as religious beliefs and sexual preferences (joking here, obviously), my group consisted of the following:

Charizard, Gyrados, Zappados (spelling), Kadabra (psybeam = win), Mewtwo, and a Scyther.

Sapphire it was pretty much the same deal.

Whatever the starting fire one was, Gyrados, Zappados, Kadabra, Mewtwo, and I replaced my Scyther for a Scisor (spelling).

As for the types I really DON'T like...I'd have to say bug. Scisor (already admitted I don't know how it's spelled) is the exception but it's also got steel type to back it up. Just seems like bug-types are weak against damn-near everything. That's why I never liked that golden floating bug guy who's completely invincible unless he's hit with one of his weaknesses...which it seems like every pokemon has at least one attack that matches with his weakness.

My personal favorite has always been psychic type. At least back in Red, psybeam killed pretty much anything in one hit.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Fighting types don't really make my team, they don't affect enough and they have a small move window.

RaphaelsRedemption

Eats With Her Mouth Full
May 3, 2010
I actually like my Scizor. He's a bug/steel type and is so far absolutely steamrolling any opposition. So I have him, a Dragonair for those Dragon moves, an electric Ampharos, a psychic Togetic, a Victreelbel for grass/poison and a Gyarados who has surf, waterfall and 2 dragon moves. I have a soft spot for the Gyarados because I raised him from a puny Magikarp who only had splash.

Atticus89

Nov 8, 2010
DarkRyter said:
I'm surprised few of you guys have mentioned poison.

Unless poison is so unused that everyone just forgot about them. In which case, that's hilarious.
That might be the case. I don't use them.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I've never had Dark, poisen or Bug on my team! Nothing against them, but I dont find them as usefull as others, and also I don't tend to find the actual pokemon in those types as appealing!

On the other hand I will always have a Fire, Ghost, Water and Electric on my team at all times!

Jun 11, 2008
I ignore or tend to ignore pokemon that are pure normal, poison and flying which is unfortunate as I like the idea of those types just not how they play against other types. Personally, normal types should just be normal effective against everything with everything being normal effective against them.