Tyre Nichols: here we go again.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Body cam and traffic cam video was released.

The videos bring light -- and stark contrast -- to the complete and utter bullshit public statements made over the past two weeks by city and police spokespeople, as to the severity of the incident and the conduct of those involved.

Video footage reveals, after what has been proven to be a routine if not immediately fatal, stop by police across America when a black person is involved -- that is to say, stopping him for no clear reason and no apparent probable cause, dragging him out of the car, beating the dogshit out of him, and threatening to murder him -- Nichols got away after police failed to actually taze him and accidentally pepper sprayed each other. The police attempted to chase Nichols on foot for the thirty-odd feet they could run before becoming too winded to continue, and called for backup.

Nichols attempted to run home -- all this occurred down the street from it, by the way -- and was intercepted by said backup. Those three officers caught Nichols and held him down for what seems to be long enough for the first two to arrive -- managing to accidentally pepper spray each other in the process as well. Following this, they began to beat Nichols while restrained, and after the other cops arrived, appear to have taken turns beating him...for another three minutes, at least until one of them seemed to have noticed a traffic cam was watching the entire time, at which point they cuffed him and stopped.

As if that wasn't enough, the fourth video reveals they spent the time until paramedics arrived on scene (and after) bragging about how badly they beat Nichols. Oh, and by the way, four of the five are already out on bail. The fifth is the one who was alleged to have beaten a prison inmate to unconsciousness in 2015.

After having seen the videos, the second degree murder charges at least for the initial two cops is complete bullshit. They at least should be charged with first-degree murder, on account of the first stop and the threats made against Nichols then demonstrating malice aforethought.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Obviously anyone who runs from the police is a hardened criminal and deserves to die, even if that person is running from the police because they intend to kill that person. He should have tried not being so black!

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Obviously anyone who runs from the police is a hardened criminal and deserves to die, even if that person is running from the police because they intend to kill that person. He should have tried not being so black!
At this point I don't think anyone should be confused about why a black person with nothing to hide might run away from the US police.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
It is fun hearing the weird people scream "The cops were black so this is not racism"

It's #ACAB, not #ACETBOAB (all cops except the black ones are bastards). Once you become a cop, you're Blue, not Black or White or any other ethnicity

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I have no interest in watching the video. I read the reports of how he died, I know what happened. Having said that, someone should watch it, and it should be shown to the juries.
It is fun hearing the weird people scream "The cops were black so this is no racism"

It's #ACAB, not #ACETBOAB (all cops except the black ones are bastards). Once you become a cop, you're Blue, not Black or White or any other ethnicity
Its not a coincidence that the cops were quickly fired, arrested and charged, and they're all black. The local police union sees them as sacrificial lambs, throw them to the wolf that is the justice system, and wash your hands, saying you "fixed the problem".

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
''What is it going to take in the states to stop this kind of response by police in these kind of cases'' near the 3:30 mark.

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Last edited:

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Cops should just come out and admit they are at war with citizens. We hate you and will fuck you up any way we can.
Make this fight official.
Apparently, this crew were from a unit called "SCORPION Unit".

I cannot help but think the term "SCORPION" reveals to us something about the mindset of the police and authorities... and it's not one of friendly community relations.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Apparently, this crew were from a unit called "SCORPION Unit".

I cannot help but think the term "SCORPION" reveals to us something about the mindset of the police and authorities... and it's not one of friendly community relations.
The juxtaposition is...interesting, we'll say that. The nominal intent of the unit was apparently for patrolling high-crime areas, and targeting violent offenses. A kind of middle ground between regular patrol officers and SWAT. So it should come to no one's surprise it turned out in practice to be an apparent designated hate crimes unit, whose specialty was civil asset forfeiture:

"Two months into SCORPION's deployment, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland touted the unit's effectiveness. In his state of the city speech, Strickland claimed the unit was responsible for 566 arrests, 390 of them felony arrests, seized $103,000 in cash, 270 vehicles and 253 weapons between October 2021 and Jan. 23, 2022."

Do I really need to point out again the similarities between US policing and organized crime syndicates?

That said, hit and death squads in criminal syndicates and authoritarian political regimes at least tend to be decently trained. These morons couldn't even beat an unarmed black man, who wasn't even violently resisting, to death without accidentally hitting and pepper spraying the fuck out of each other.

Reactions: XsjadoBlaydette

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So Im seeing reporting that Tyre Nichols was sleeping with Officer Demetrius Haily's ex-girlfriend, and allegedly sent pictures of Tyre's beaten body to the ex.
So...this is starting to seem really premeditated. If true, what are the fucking odds a random traffic stop gone back involves an officer killing his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. This looks planned.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So Im seeing reporting that Tyre Nichols was sleeping with Officer Demetrius Haily's ex-girlfriend, and allegedly sent pictures of Tyre's beaten body to the ex.
So...this is starting to seem really premeditated. If true, what are the fucking odds a random traffic stop gone back involves an officer killing his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. This looks planned.
Either way, all those officers involved are evil and petty jackasses . I heard about this rumor recently. I don't know how true it is, I don't care. Police brutality is still police brutality.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
A sixth officer was relieved of duty, and two EMTs as well as a fire department lieutenant were also fired.

Reactions: BrawlMan

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
A sixth officer was relieved of duty, and two EMTs as well as a fire department lieutenant were also fired.

Christ, at what point do they just come out and say White Cops get Qualified Immunity but Black Cops are actually held accountable?

I suppose the cops have to throw some of their own to the wolves once in a while, might as well make it the black ones

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Christ, at what point do they just come out and say White Cops get Qualified Immunity but Black Cops are actually held accountable?

I suppose the cops have to throw some of their own to the wolves once in a while, might as well make it the black ones
They're "fixing the problem".

Reactions: tippy2k2

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Can we talk about how journalist are just using police statements as their news articles on events?

What was stated in this (and most) police statements have nothing to do with the facts of the situation. But the media just does nothing to check if the police statement is true and wonders why things blow up a few weeks later

Reactions: Kwak