U.K. Teen Buys $735 Photo of Xbox One on eBay

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

Also, is that actually how much an Xbone is going for in the UK?
What? I honestly do not understand why this world hates gullible people and loves conmen so much. For starters, the majority of people are full of themselves if they think that they're not susceptible to cons. Not all cons are obvious Nigerian princes or Pyramid schemes.

All I see are "oh he should have read the fine print"

Fuck that, nobody reads the fine print. Nobody. Also, the "fine print" is against Ebay's ToS so...invalid. Conman's "Fine Print" doesn't mean jack.

Personally, I hope that Ebay sues conman and ruins him. They won't, but THAT would be something well deserved.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Elamdri said:
What? I honestly do not understand why this world hates gullible people and loves conmen so much.
Ok I'll take this one... follow my logic here.

1) Conmen prey on the gullible.

2) Conmen would therefore not exist without gullible people. (As a lot of people in this thread have pointed out, it's not JUST a case of one person stealing from another - it's the other handing over his money for a product that clearly doesn't exist. The conman isn't the only active party here.)

3) The reverse, however, is NOT true: a lot of gullible people go happily through their entire lives without actually being conned. This creates a (most likely true) perception that there are a lot more gullible people than con-artists out there.

3) It's human nature to take "sides" in a conflict. It's also a quirk of human nature that we generally root for the underdog before a fight, but the winner after it. If you look at the conflict between a con-artist and his victim, the con-artist comes out ahead in both spots.

5) You can also look at it in the sense of karmic-flaw-retribution, with "gullibility" being the flaw and the con-artist being the instrument of retribution.

6) Finally, con-artists give us an excuse to indulge our sense of schadenfreude - taking pleasure in the suffering of others. As long as it's not us being conned, we can look at the conman and his victim and say: "Ha ha ha, that person must've been so stupid to fall for that!"

Now personally I agree with you: we know almost nothing about the victim OR the conman in this case, other than the victim was conned by the conman and is angry about it; "judging" the victim for what little we DO know seems to be a pretty unsavoury exercise. I'm not excusing it, but I understand it.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Pebkio said:
Um... Yeah... I'm well aware that other counties pay more than we do. I've read that quite a bit. In fact, having watched a lot of Yahtzee, I'm fairly certain he's mentioned that at least once or twice for Australia, on top of the bullshit importing cost or the bullshit censorship practices certain countries go through. So, yes, I know that other places have it worse off. No need to label me as ignorant or entitled when you really have no way of accurately judging that based on a reactionary comment I made to an article about an individual who made (in my opinion) a not so great decision. And I make that judgment because I'm the kind of gamer who goes out of his way to find the best deals for the games and devices I play, not solely because I am thinking "har har, what an idiot."

so, please, if I may modify a quote:

"Just stop posting until you can wrap your head around the fact that not everyone on the internet is a complete dickhead and that some people might be more knowledgeable than you give credit for. Thank you."

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Twenty Ninjas said:
Wait, a 19-year-old is a "teen" now? ...what's the legal age of majority in the UK, again?

...and he's buying it for his four year old son? I...

...there are things about this news article. Things that are wrong, and in more than one way.
He's a Nine-what-year-old? Yes, nineTEEN is a TEEN number.

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Elamdri said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
You know, I actually agree with the conman on this one. If you're willing to put down $735 on something before checking for shenanigans like this, then you deserve to be taught a lesson. Although as I didn't see the listing, perhaps it was a bit difficult to tell.

What? I honestly do not understand why this world hates gullible people and loves conmen so much. For starters, the majority of people are full of themselves if they think that they're not susceptible to cons. Not all cons are obvious Nigerian princes or Pyramid schemes.

Fuck that, nobody reads the fine print. Nobody. Also, the "fine print" is against Ebay's ToS so...invalid. Conman's "Fine Print" doesn't mean jack.

Personally, I hope that Ebay sues conman and ruins him. They won't, but THAT would be something well deserved.
The Customer actually admitted that he SAW that it said it was just a photograph. He read "This is just a photograph," and reacted "Oh boy, it's the actual system!" No, this is 100% on him. It's a damn miracle he doesn't read "Poisonous, do not drink" on his laundry detergent and see "Yummy Gatorade" with his magic idiot eyes.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Bluestorm83 said:
Elamdri said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:

The Customer actually admitted that he SAW that it said it was just a photograph. He read "This is just a photograph," and reacted "Oh boy, it's the actual system!" No, this is 100% on him. It's a damn miracle he doesn't read "Poisonous, do not drink" on his laundry detergent and see "Yummy Gatorade" with his magic idiot eyes.
He also read that it wasn't in the photograph section of the site, meaning that it was also saying "this is not a photograph." Maybe it you should spend a little bit more time ranting about the conman for lying rather than a guy getting his money back after being conned. I do find it ironic that everybody keeps go on about different little tidbits about this while ignoring other ones when it suits them so that they can insult this guy.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Aaah, and the supposedly liberal people of The Escapist shows their true colours. A story like this pops up and suddenly everyone is a social conservative who knows best not only when you're allowed to become sexually active, but also how to care for a child. And yes, clearly the guy DESERVES to be ripped off if he misread an item description in eBay. That's only fair, right? Social Darwinism and blaaah blaaah, Ron Paul 2012. *bleating sounds*

Faux-liberalism is an ugly, ugly thing indeed...

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Now the guy get's given a freebie. FFS

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/441804/blog/man-who-purchased-xbox-one-photo-for-730-gets-free-console/

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Revnak said:
Bluestorm83 said:
Elamdri said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:

He also read that it wasn't in the photograph section of the site, meaning that it was also saying "this is not a photograph." Maybe it you should spend a little bit more time ranting about the conman for lying rather than a guy getting his money back after being conned. I do find it ironic that everybody keeps go on about different little tidbits about this while ignoring other ones when it suits them so that they can insult this guy.
But he DIDN'T lie. If I go to Dunkin Donuts, and buy an Iced Coffee, I can't whine that I didn't get the donut I wanted. "Bu bu bu bu but, I bought it in Dunkin Donuts!" Yes, but it was advertised and sold and shown to you as a GD Iced Coffee. If you unwrap a snickers, and it is CLEARLY a dog shit inside, you don't go, "Welp, this was in a snickers wrapper, I'll ignore the way that it looks and smells and tastes like a dog shit." Human Beings are the lords of the Animal Kingdom, not because we're faster and stronger, but because we're SMARTER. It's time that the current generation takes up its mantle and behaves like it.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Bluestorm83 said:
Human Beings are the lords of the Animal Kingdom, not because we're faster and stronger, but because we're SMARTER. It's time that the current generation takes up its mantle and behaves like it.
And with this little gem I'm out. Best to leave the argument before people begin declaring the fourth Reich.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
He's definitely an idiot, but the seller totally scammed him. He does deserve the eBay refund. God only knows why Microsoft gave him an Xbox. There are literally thousands of people who are more deserving, probably just for the free exposure.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Frost27 said:
I noticed and immediately called BS on the old "it's for my kid" line. That is probably the tear jerker hook he used thinking it would increase ebay's chances of paying him back.
You've got a good point there, why the hell would you get a 4 year old an Xbox!? I'd understand letting him play one of those touch pad devices, i've even seen 4 year olds use a DS, but an Xbox!

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
Revnak said:
Bluestorm83 said:
Human Beings are the lords of the Animal Kingdom, not because we're faster and stronger, but because we're SMARTER. It's time that the current generation takes up its mantle and behaves like it.
And with this little gem I'm out. Best to leave the argument before people begin declaring the fourth Reich.
Yep, that's what we do. We simultaneously make it so the most idiotic among us get a free ride, and then compare someone who expects people to live up to their potential to a genocidal ideal. Nice of you.

Unrelated note, love your Felix Walken avatar.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Caiphus said:
Nasrin said:
No, I do not believe that I misused the phrase. In legal practice it is commonly known that being unaware of the law does not excuse you from being liable for it. I think I said that adequately.
Exactly. Which was not totally relevant to the rest of your first post, unless I'm reading it totally wrong:

If it was clearly printed in the description then that's on you
"I still thought I would be getting an Xbox One, despite the description" is not ignorance of the law. That is ignorance of the facts or of the situation. Which may or may not be relevant depending on the consumer rights laws of your country. I would imagine most countries have an objective test to be decided by the court as to whether conduct was deceptive or misleading.

Ignorance of the law would be the buyer saying "I thought that I would be protected against all misconceptions on my part. Therefore I should be."
In America people are held to written contractual obligations that are made apparent, eg no fine print, no weird language. Unless he's claiming there was fraud, which will be difficult considering the product exactly matches its explicit description, this guy has no real argument. Thus, he is lucky the company was being nice and gave him his money back. He's an idiot.

I still have no idea what it is that you're confused about with regard to my comment. He does seem to be claiming that he should not be liable for payment, which is an erroneous understanding of his legal rights.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Nasrin said:
In America people are held to written contractual obligations that are made apparent, eg no fine print, no weird language. Unless he's claiming there was fraud, which will be difficult considering the product exactly matches its explicit description, this guy has no real argument. Thus, he is lucky the company was being nice and gave him his money back. He's an idiot.

I still have no idea what it is that you're confused about with regard to my comment.
Pay no attention to my post then. It was late, and I probably assumed that we were talking about the actual listing, rather than a hypothetical perfectly clear listing.

In any case, the actual listing wasn't apparent:

"Xbox One Fifa 14 Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2013", while also posted in the wrong section. I can't imagine any court, even in the US, would uphold that contract.

So that's probably what confused me.

Edit: Oh, and he allegedly emailed the seller, who told him it was a console. But only one news site reported that, so it could be false.

Kyle Jenson

Dec 26, 2013
Everyone's so quick to blame the seller, and calling him a scammer.

the ebay listing was in the newspaper and it clearly stated about 4 or 5 times that it was a photo of an xbox one, someone even messaged the seller asking if if was a re xbox or just a photo and he answered that it was indeed a photo.

That was visible at the edits part at the bottom of the page, so no, he wasn't scamming, he only put the listing on to take the piss.

it was purely the buyers fault for not reading the damned listing, it's out of order that the seller had to give him his money back }:-(