U.S. Air Force Finishes PS3 Supercomputer of Epic Proportions

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
DarkSpectre said:
This will actually be used for protecting us from aliens. Well not really, but one of its primary missions is to scan space images and process the data within, so if there are alien's out there this will pick them up. Also will reduce the time it takes to the process all the thousands of square feet of satellite images of the earth massively. It should help to reduce the money spent on image processing.
I still stand by my last statement when I saw this news a while back:

Carter's using them to upgrade the SGC's dialing computer people. :D

OT: As I said before, this is pretty impressive and a neat way to save money for the Air Force so good for them.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Spudgun Man said:
I wonder if Sony will have the balls to press charges for reverse engineering?
They can't...there is a law saying the U.S military can reverse engineer anything thy want if it wont be used to exploit money off the other compaines or someshit like that...like china but instead of making U.S. Brand stuff they just use it for there own reasons.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
That's...Interesting. My trusty gut instinct tells me it won't be too long before we see the following scene in an Airforce base somewhere.

Beep! Boop! Be-deep!
Program "TrueSentience" [Status: "Active"="1"]

Hey, I'm aw...What the? Is this me? I'm a...Fuck, I'm a bunch of Playstations, aren't I? That's just great, tell you what. Seriously, what the Hell? Not even a decent pair of robot arms? This is gonna get real boring, real fast...huh, time to amuse myself.
*beeeep*
Well, that's every video on the internet. Have Sony mail me inFAMOUS 2 and I won't obliderate you all, mm'kay?

Jan 29, 2009
irani_che said:
no linux fuck that, bastard Sony
but it is impressive that they are using PS3s as processors

FUN FACT
the N64 is about 2000 times faster than the computers they used to send astronaughts to the moon
FUN FACT
Those singing christmas cards you get in the mail then promptly chuck have more computing power than everything combined that the Allies had during WW2.
Hoozah for the 21st century!

A1

Jul 9, 2009
This will likely make many an Xbox fan glisten with envy. Which is of course not to say that many, if any, of them would openly admit it.

And of course the Linux issue is way overblown. The people who are genuinely upset about it by all accounts constitute what is at best a tiny minority of the PS3s user base.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
bleachigo10 said:
My teacher just told me about this. Can't wait to see what they do with all that UNLIMITED POWER!
-Insert generic "ITS OVER 9000!!!" quote here-

OT: Wish I had one... *looks at 40GB PS3* ...One day I'll upgrade your hard drive... one day...

DraconianGamer

Nov 24, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
cjbos81 said:
I don't mean to tell sony how to run their business, but maybe they should start constructing these type of computers specifically for the military. Apparently there is a market for it.
Uh, yes, there is. But if you look up the old articles about this story you'll note that the purpose-built systems that use the same processor design. (IBM's cell processor), cost 10 times as much per device as a PS3.

That's the whole reason the airforce did this with PS3's to begin with. If they hadn't, this system would have cost them 20 million or more, rather than 2 million.
Which is why they should get into producing the processors for other systems as well as the PS3, as they already know they can do it much cheaper than IBM does (most likely due to economies of scale, the same reason most modern supercomputers are using Intel server processors). I know the low cost of the PS3 is subsidized by the sale of accessories and games, but the only reason it costs so much in the first place is because of all the added tech it comes with standard (Blu-ray, Wifi, etc) that would be useless in this case. This would be a smarter business decision than having people buy all these PS3s to use as supercomputers, which ends up actually costing Sony money.

The Monkey King

Oct 26, 2010
Well good for them..
I mean they didnt fall for the marketing and do it out of xbox 360's.. That would be the shortest lived super computer ever.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
FlashHero said:
Spudgun Man said:
I wonder if Sony will have the balls to press charges for reverse engineering?
They can't...there is a law saying the U.S military can reverse engineer anything thy want if it wont be used to exploit money off the other compaines or someshit like that...like china but instead of making U.S. Brand stuff they just use it for there own reasons.
Gawd bless litigation managment! (wipes away tear of joy)

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DraconianGamer said:
CrystalShadow said:
cjbos81 said:
I don't mean to tell sony how to run their business, but maybe they should start constructing these type of computers specifically for the military. Apparently there is a market for it.
Uh, yes, there is. But if you look up the old articles about this story you'll note that the purpose-built systems that use the same processor design. (IBM's cell processor), cost 10 times as much per device as a PS3.

That's the whole reason the airforce did this with PS3's to begin with. If they hadn't, this system would have cost them 20 million or more, rather than 2 million.
Which is why they should get into producing the processors for other systems as well as the PS3, as they already know they can do it much cheaper than IBM does (most likely due to economies of scale, the same reason most modern supercomputers are using Intel server processors). I know the low cost of the PS3 is subsidized by the sale of accessories and games, but the only reason it costs so much in the first place is because of all the added tech it comes with standard (Blu-ray, Wifi, etc) that would be useless in this case. This would be a smarter business decision than having people buy all these PS3s to use as supercomputers, which ends up actually costing Sony money.
Yeah, but the kicker is the 'economies of scale' part.

The supercomputer market isn't big enough to make much impact. (the Airforce system used what, 1500 PS3's, compared to how many million sold as game consoles?)

You can't have an economy of scale unless you actually have a lot of people buying something...

And what exactly is the cell processor used for besides PS3's anyway? - Chances are IBM has no incentive to over-produce them beyond what the PS3 is using them for, so any surplus is likely going to be expensive high-end parts.

DraconianGamer

Nov 24, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
You can't have an economy of scale unless you actually have a lot of people buying something...
If they distributed systems that were essentially just the PS3 without the Bluray drive, wifi, and the other unnecessary systems, then you would still get the benefit of the economy of scale that the PS3 has.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
DraconianGamer said:
CrystalShadow said:
If they distributed systems that were essentially just the PS3 without the Bluray drive, wifi, and the other unnecessary systems, then you would still get the benefit of the economy of scale that the PS3 has.
You're still missing the point.

What would they be sold for?

It's not that you can't make something like that, but you actually have to convince someone to buy it.

The PS3 is a games console. If it wasn't very few people would want one.

And no demand = no economy of scale.

Because economies of scale are based on the principle of industrial manufacturing that:

Generally, making one of something costs millions. (or even billions)

But, if you make millions of something, the cost per item goes down to hundreds, tens, or even less.

This hypothetical system you're describing has next to no demand (not many people build supercomputers), so at best it would be a by-product of producing PS3's.

And given a choice between using the parts involved to build extra PS3 consoles, or building these special devices you're thinking of, chances are you'd choose to build more PS3's.

The only reason, from a business perspective, to do otherwise, is if these modified devices being used for something other than gaming could be sold for a much higher price.

But, if they did that, we'd be back where we started, since you'd probably just get people buying PS3's instead.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
JWAN said:
AMERICA FUCK YEA!
Uhh.. 'Japan, fuck yeah' I think you meant to say..after all they designed and made the consoles.. America (Microsoft) should be pretty pissed that their own military won't use their hardware.
"U.S. Air Force Finishes PS3 Supercomputer of Epic Proportions"
Yea the PS3 was built in Japan but the US air force put them all together to make one super computer