U.S. Army May Reverse Medal of Honor Ban

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
SlainPwner666 said:
I don't really agree with the ban, but if it truly offends the military, and those who've died in service, then I say they have every right to refuse to sell it in their stores.
But the point is, where does the offense come from? The depiction of an enemy actively trying to kill American soldiers, or merely what we call that enemy?
I think the main reason for the offense is that many, both in the media and outside of it, depict the Taliban and other insurgents as baby-raping, woman-eating, no good terrorists. Which I highly disagree with and find offensive.

Moreso, if anything, the Nazis were more fitting in that picture then the Insurgents, yet no one's raised a stink about being able to play in dozens upon dozens of games. In Modern Warfare 2, it's perfectly acceptable to kill hundreds of innocent civilians, AND then go on to kill hundreds of American soldiers[footnote]Yes, I realize it's called "Shadow Company", but they talk with American accents and use American dialogue, they're American.[/footnote], but the second you can pick a faction that has a different name then "OpFor" or "Alpha/Bravo", people start flipping their shit.

It's really sad, a huge double standard, and makes me want to stick to my zombies and aliens.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I can (somewhat) understand that some people might feel uncomfortable or offended by a game depicting a current conflict, and I respect their right to not play such a game. I don't even have a problem with it not being sold in certain shops on account of this.

What blows my mind is that this attitude might be changed by something as minimal as the word "Taliban" becoming "Opposing Force". That's it? Really? Do people really see the game in a whole new light because of this?

ZehGeek

[-Militaires Sans Frontieres-]
Aug 12, 2009
I'd doubt they'd change it. They banned just because of a name. -.-

pdgeorge

Dec 25, 2008
I understand them banning it purely for that reason.

Picture being one of the people who are fighting the Taliban, and then when you go multi-player YOU are playing as them. Or you play with a friend on line, and they are the Taliban, your son, brother, dad, whoever you play games with online. Either you are playing as them, or you are the one fighting them AGAIN even during your time off.
While it may sound pathetic, it will have some emotional effect to go through that.

(lets be honest, how many people would want to play as their enemy, who in real life is actually shooting them and most likely killed someone close to them)

If they are willing to unban it because the name is changed would just mean they are reasonable people. "We have a problem with THIS!" "We understand your concern, we didn't believe it would be a problem however we are willing to make a change since it is little hassle to make the change" "Thank you"

Mortons4ck

Jan 12, 2010
Personally I think OPFOR is a bit more appropriate, since Coalition forces are fighting against local warlords and drug lords in addition to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Blind Sight said:
So wait, a game like Modern Warfare 2, which deliberately and without apology badmouths the Russians (i.e. one of the United States' 'allies') is completely fine, but if you name the Taliban in your game that's wrong. Is it really better to have the Taliban as 'Opposing Force' (i.e. unnamed MUSLIM force) then to actually have the political and historical analysis behind it?

Apparently it's completely rational for the Army to sell a game about Muslims shooting Americans, as long as they don't mention they're Taliban. Perhaps they should change the name of the Americans in the game to 'foreign invading force that has screwed over the majority of Middle Eastern countries in their attempts to protect Israel, export culture and import oil.'

DSK- said:
It's not like we didn't know who the enemy was in COD4 and MW2 anyway, right?

I can understand why they banned it, but it still seems double standards compared to the many WW2 games with Nazi's and the like.
It kind of reminds me of what China does with games with Nazis in it, ban them until the content is removed. Company of Heroes Online previewed in China with the Allies fighting the 'Federation', the Third Reich in all but name.
Screwed up the Middle East? They were completely in the shit hole long before we got there. If I'm correct, the exact time was after WWI with the collapse of the Ottomon Empire. It didn't help either that the British haphazardly carved up the area with blatent disregard for the various cultures living there, and then threw some Jewish people into the mix. That's why most of the borders are so smooth.

OT: I don't think anybody should've been offended in the first place, but I guess many people just need something to complain about instead of living their lives.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Wait so if the game featured the Taliban they wouldn't let soldiers buy it? Who the hell is in charge - if the game IS taken seriously wouldn't that be motivation for the troops??

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
archvile93 said:
Blind Sight said:
So wait, a game like Modern Warfare 2, which deliberately and without apology badmouths the Russians (i.e. one of the United States' 'allies') is completely fine, but if you name the Taliban in your game that's wrong. Is it really better to have the Taliban as 'Opposing Force' (i.e. unnamed MUSLIM force) then to actually have the political and historical analysis behind it?

Apparently it's completely rational for the Army to sell a game about Muslims shooting Americans, as long as they don't mention they're Taliban. Perhaps they should change the name of the Americans in the game to 'foreign invading force that has screwed over the majority of Middle Eastern countries in their attempts to protect Israel, export culture and import oil.'

DSK- said:
It's not like we didn't know who the enemy was in COD4 and MW2 anyway, right?

I can understand why they banned it, but it still seems double standards compared to the many WW2 games with Nazi's and the like.
It kind of reminds me of what China does with games with Nazis in it, ban them until the content is removed. Company of Heroes Online previewed in China with the Allies fighting the 'Federation', the Third Reich in all but name.
Screwed up the Middle East? They were completely in the shit hole long before we got there. If I'm correct, the exact time was after WWI with the collapse of the Ottomon Empire. It didn't help either that the British haphazardly carved up the area with blatent disregard for the various cultures living there, and then threw some Jewish people into the mix. That's why most of the borders are so smooth.

OT: I don't think anybody should've been offended in the first place, but I guess many people just need something to complain about instead of living their lives.
Indeed, that's also true, but the Cold War was very successful in dividing the Middle East and causing numerous problems between the West and East, especially with the America's continued support of Israel regardless of whether their actions are justified or not. Not to mention the fact that American foreign policy largely ignores concepts like Edward Said's orientalism and instead follows the standard realist and neoliberal ideals, which is basically NOT the way to interact with the Middle East (it causes alienation rather then support).