U.S. Congress Opposes United Nations Internet Treaty

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
[...]the U.S., which effectively controls the net now[...]
Source please? Because that's one of the most stupid phrases I've ever read.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
cricket chirps said:
Only time i am ever going to say it:

Proud to be an American *Salutes*
You realise its out of self interest to keep money and control in the US. It's not to stop censorship.
Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing :p
Let's see how right it is when SOPA tries to come back.... they want to do the same thing as China, heck arguably worse.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
FelixG said:
RicoADF said:
cricket chirps said:
Only time i am ever going to say it:

Proud to be an American *Salutes*
You realise its out of self interest to keep money and control in the US. It's not to stop censorship.
Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is still doing the right thing :p
Let's see how right it is when SOPA tries to come back.... they want to do the same thing as China, heck arguably worse.
And when it comes back it will most likely get shot down again considering 4 times as many shot it down than wanted it.

You act as if it was a close vote
I hope your correct, since as a non American the UN option has appeal as it'd mean the US can't enforce SOPA laws onto other nations, it being upto each nation to police itself like everything else.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Cheers America!

Another silly internet control plan foiled... We're safe, until someone comes up with another, inevitably.
Silly video is silly. The only reason the US Congress voted against this treaty is because they don't want to share control of the internet with other countries, they want to take control of it themselves completely. That's the driving force behind SOPA and PIPA, when they were threats, and they're the reason why the US government tried to extradite a UK citizen for commiting apparent internet-based crimes here in the UK despite the fact that the acts committed were never done on US soil, and are breaking absolutely no laws in the UK - basically the same as a country deciding that anyone who breaks their own laws, no matter how silly, are guilty wherever they are in the world. Quite frankly, I'm pleased that the US Congress voted against the treaty, but their motivations and reasons are nowhere near as benign as people seem to think. Look at all angles before making judgement.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Trivun said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Cheers America!

Another silly internet control plan foiled... We're safe, until someone comes up with another, inevitably.
Silly video is silly. The only reason the US Congress voted against this treaty is because they don't want to share control of the internet with other countries, they want to take control of it themselves completely. That's the driving force behind SOPA and PIPA, when they were threats, and they're the reason why the US government tried to extradite a UK citizen for commiting apparent internet-based crimes here in the UK despite the fact that the acts committed were never done on US soil, and are breaking absolutely no laws in the UK - basically the same as a country deciding that anyone who breaks their own laws, no matter how silly, are guilty wherever they are in the world. Quite frankly, I'm pleased that the US Congress voted against the treaty, but their motivations and reasons are nowhere near as benign as people seem to think. Look at all angles before making judgement.
I'm actually entirely aware of that. I just wanted to post that video. Because.

aattss

May 13, 2012
This would be less biased if the words "Internet Treaty" were replaced with "Dictatorial SOPA"

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Isn't this just the usual anti-UN thing American politics has going? Didn't you guys just oppose some sort of rights-for-handicapped bill the UN put forth as well just to be against the UN?

Still, nice that it seems that it isn't going through, the UN is just as bad as the US government when it comes to Internet freedom.