U.S. Isolation: Good or Bad?

Karlaxx

Oct 26, 2009
Amnestic said:
Should they stop trying to "bring democracy to other countries"? Probably.
DEMOCRACY IS NOT NEGOTIABLE!
*Cough*
Ahem. Actually, I disagree totally with that statement, the whole bringing democracy to other countries thing as monolithically idiotic to me.

Stopping the whole World Police act would be nice, but we depend too much on other countries to extract ourselves to any significant degree at this time.

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
Demon ID said:
America shouldn't stop, no other country could take its place.
China should be able to surpass us in less than ten years. Couldn't they take our place?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Beowulf DW said:
orangebandguy said:
What? As in separating yourselves from the UN?

I don't want what happened in Fallout to become a reality. It's how it all starts.

But in all seriousness I think you need be restrained a little bit with all those nukes and everything, I may have deviated entirely from what you meant but your post isn't very clear.
No, not seperating ourselves from the U.N.

We just wouldn't interfere in global politics, and issues (i.e. global warming, various conflicts). Basically, it's the idea that we need to stop sticking our collective noses into other countries' business.
You can't not interfere with global politics. It's actually impossible for the U.S. to retreat from the global politics scene. Global Warming is, as the name implies, global. But it shouldn't be a political issue anyway, it's a scientific one.

Demon ID said:
No, in ways I think their should be more done, take Dafur, The Rwanda genocide etc. Now imagine how different those would go if the US, europe etc all sent in a force to stop it and not the timid UN peace keepers (who i feel for but are just not allowed to do much to help).

The problem is people don't really like doing the right thing, unless it helps them. People are always against getting involved in things unless it directly effects them, until after the event has occured... It's why i'm strangely both pro iraq and afghanistan, yes we may have gone in for the wrong reasons but at least we are actually attempting to make the world a little bit better for people (i'm referring to the right to vote, womens rights, democracys not dictorships etc etc etc).

Simply put, the world will be a horrible place for many until those of us who have the luxury of choice choose to use our combined might to stop it. America shouldn't stop, no other country could take its place.
Democracy is not objectively better than a dictatorship. I wish people would start realising that.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
Remember all that crap about AIG being too big to fail? Would that have been a problem if America had not connected itself with other countries? I think isolation would be bad, because honestly, America is the centerpiece of the global economy.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
Demon ID said:
China should be able to surpass us in less than ten years. Couldn't they take our place?
I would much rather America be "world police" than China... I would not trust them one bit. Fortunatly, the Chinese don't really want to be "world police", as of yet.

America just needs to be more careful with what wars it gets involved in, not necessarly revert into isolation. The recent Lisbon Treaty should mean that Europe can work and speak as one unit, making Europe a bigger world player. If we Europeans can get in the same league as the USA, then it should mean that the USA does not have to carry most of the work in foregin policy, and with Europes extra resources, it should make USA/European foregin policy more effective.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Amnestic said:
Democracy is not objectively better than a dictatorship. I wish people would start realising that.
I personally disagree, sure democracy isn't perfect but i think it's the closest to a fair system we have. Off the top of my head i can't think of a dictatorship that i would like to live in, whilst democracys (and also technically republics). The main advantage of the democracy system is that me and you are actually allowed to have these opposing views :D

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Beowulf DW said:
Demon ID said:
Economically yes, but morally and ethically? What i mean to say is that when you look at the way china is, it likely isn't going to care about the situations we mentioned not with tibet and mass censorship to worry about :)

Edit: I apologise for the double post.

PiotrSkut87

Jun 4, 2008
Travdelosmuertos said:
That whole Wilsonian "leave the world to it's own devices" idea only let Germany get too far in both World Wars.
Just so you know, that's pretty much the exact opposite of actual "Wilsonian" philosophy.

Woodrow Wilson was all about "making the world safe for democracy". He very much believed in meddling in the affairs of other countries, even when he knew nothing about the situation on the ground (he was one of the main reasons the Austro-Hungarian Empire was divided up in such a retarded fashion, which helped lead to the problems we still have in the Balkans today). In many ways Bush's policies were directly descended from Wilsonian ones.

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
I don't think it's really a choice between isolationism or non-isolationism, because there's no way that the U.S. will stay as a remote presence with no interests in the rest of the world. It's really a choice between engagement with the rest of the world and non-engagement, between negotiation and unilateralism.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Demon ID said:
Amnestic said:
I personally disagree, sure democracy isn't perfect but i think it's the closest to a fair system we have. Off the top of my head i can't think of a dictatorship that i would like to live in, whilst democracys (and also technically republics). The main advantage of the democracy system is that me and you are actually allowed to have these opposing views :D
You can have opposing views in a dictatorship, just as long as they don't threaten the power base of your Glorious and All Powerful Leader. The key word was "objectively" though. A democracy can run a country into the ground whereas a Dictatorship can bolster an economy and keep the citizens satisfied. Just because there haven't been any real benevolent dictators yet doesn't mean there can't be.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Beowulf DW said:
Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Would the U.S. and the World be better off if we just keep to ourselves for a little while?
Yes. The last conflict/war that we should have been in was WWII, all the rest have been stupid and pointless. "Oh no! More countries might turn communist and we don't want that, we have to go shoot them!"

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Demon ID said:
Amnestic said:
The only thing wrong with a dictator ship is the man in charge, if the person in charge wasn't power hungry(and all those things dictators are) then it would work but that won't happen. So democracy is the way to go I guess.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
Bad idea, bad idea. If America was a smaller country, it would be fine, but you can't be world's only superpower and isolate yourself completely. You can see what happened last time with WWII - Pearl Harbour. Although, to be fair, at the time America was halfway between Isolationism and Interventionism.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
isolationism is stupid, if you want to be isolationist then you should move to a country that isnt as multi national as the US

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Amnestic said:
Demon ID said:
Amnestic said:
You can have opposing views in a dictatorship, just as long as they don't threaten the power base of your Glorious and All Powerful Leader. The key word was "objectively" though. A democracy can run a country into the ground whereas a Dictatorship can bolster an economy and keep the citizens satisfied. Just because there haven't been any real benevolent dictators yet doesn't mean there can't be.
Yes objectively they could be better, but the flaw is that your putting a person in control. When it comes to people, absolute power corrupts... i forget the rest :p The flaw in the dictatorship system being instead of the government being accountable to the people, it is the people being accountable to the government.

Perhaps a Duo-dictatorship between both me and you would work?

PiotrSkut87

Jun 4, 2008
Demon ID said:
No, in ways I think their should be more done, take Dafur, The Rwanda genocide etc. Now imagine how different those would go if the US, europe etc all sent in a force to stop it and not the timid UN peace keepers (who i feel for but are just not allowed to do much to help).
We would just have a lot more Africans who would go on killing themselves in other ways and circumstances. Africa is a completely unfixable situation which if we just left to its own devices everyone involved would be better off. Stupid bleeding hearts who continue to feed the Africans and give them medical care are just causing them to pump out even more kids to continue the cycle of violence, famine, and disease.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Demon ID said:
Amnestic said:
Demon ID said:
Amnestic said:
Yes objectively they could be better, but the flaw is that your putting a person in control. When it comes to people, absolute power corrupts... i forget the rest :p The flaw in the dictatorship system being instead of the government being accountable to the people, it is the people being accountable to the government.

Perhaps a Duo-dictatorship between both me and you would work?
I wouldn't advise it, I'd have you assassinated before our first day in office was finished.

I'm not big on sharing leadership.