U.S. Navy Hacking Used Consoles

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
gigastar said:
I never said it didnt, but this is obviously something that can be avoided by taking care to destroy your old consoles, just like that thing with hackers being able to retrieve personal information off such second hand consoles.

After all, they cant mine anything if the major working components of your console are in a hundred teeny little pieces and scattered throughout the scrapyard/dump/landfill/river/lake/sewer.

After all, i find taking things apart to be much easier than putting things together.
err... Isn't that the kind of thing that someone who had something to hide would do?

I just thought I'd point that out considering your first post.

gigastar said:
This is just one of those things where if you got nothing to hide, you got nothing to worry about.
Yes, but you cant say that taking a 25-pound sledge hammer and giving your defunct entertainment device a worthy sendoff by reducing it to powder doesnt feel good.

But what i originally meant is that you got nothing to worry about if you got nothing to hide, but if you dont like potential loose ends then by all means give your console a viking funeral.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This isn't right. And you can bet your ass their findings won't be available to everyone. Just the ones they don't give a fuck about.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
gigastar said:
Abandon4093 said:
gigastar said:
I never said it didnt, but this is obviously something that can be avoided by taking care to destroy your old consoles, just like that thing with hackers being able to retrieve personal information off such second hand consoles.

After all, they cant mine anything if the major working components of your console are in a hundred teeny little pieces and scattered throughout the scrapyard/dump/landfill/river/lake/sewer.

After all, i find taking things apart to be much easier than putting things together.
err... Isn't that the kind of thing that someone who had something to hide would do?

I just thought I'd point that out considering your first post.

gigastar said:
This is just one of those things where if you got nothing to hide, you got nothing to worry about.
Yes, but you cant say that taking a 25-pound sledge hammer and giving your defunct entertainment device a worthy sendoff by reducing it to powder doesnt feel good.

But what i originally meant is that you got nothing to worry about if you got nothing to hide, but if you dont like potential loose ends then by all means give your console a viking funeral.
Still a pretty contrasting message.

and I'd rather get a bit of money for my old consoles.

I can always just smash someone else's right? With this news I could even say I'm doing them a favour.
You could smash other peoples consoles, but to avoid vandalism charges i think you should obtain permission first.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
FEichinger said:
Precisely how is that legal?
Risingblade said:
Wait isn't hacking consoles illegal or something?
Throw a "terrorist" somewhere in the mix and it suddenly becomes legal. By sheer coincidence our definition on terrorist is getting larger all the time.

CAPTCHA: look out!

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
No, I am not just paranoid, I AM RIGHT.

I do not trust the government fully, this is partly why. So many in the government believes that they can do anything they want so-long-as it might protect their respective nations.

Ah, my bunker is there when I need it.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Notice how it says 'not in the US' for American Citizens.

Looks like your government wants to spy on you guys whilst overseas.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Do they hope to steal enough Credit Card details to pay for this operation? Or is this just a purposeful waste of tax payer dollars?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zen Toombs said:
Privacy is a thing, and to violate privacy has disastrous consequences and implications.
Yes, imagine a safer and more transparent world. it would be the end of humanity. If you got something to hide, maybe you shouldnt be doing it in the first place to begin with.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Strazdas said:
Zen Toombs said:
Privacy is a thing, and to violate privacy has disastrous consequences and implications.
Yes, imagine a safer and more transparent world. it would be the end of humanity. If you got something to hide, maybe you shouldnt be doing it in the first place to begin with.
*takes off glasses and rubs eyes*
That's not what I'm talking about and you know it. Yes, we should be more transparent. However, that doesn't inherently lead to a safer world, and to pair the two is being slightly manipulative.

Wanting privacy doesn't always mean that you have "something to hide" that's bad or wrong. Example: Do you exclusively have sex with others in public? Or do you ever not tell others about what you do in the bedroom? Because then you're hiding something, and you probably shouldn't be doing it.
It isn't bad or wrong to want privacy in the bedroom, and that isn't because sex is bad or wrong; in point of fact, sex is generally a pretty good thing. It isn't bad to want privacy in the bedroom because it just isn't any of their business.
Another example: I have a hobby. For the sake of this post, let's say it's model airplane building. To build model airplanes isn't wrong, and I'm not embarrassed to do so. However, building these models is something that is mine and mine alone. I love spending time with friends and family, and talking to them about everything else. But sometimes I just want to be alone and build model airplanes.
To see that isn't the business of anyone else, not friends, not family, not corporations, not the government. It is a part of me that is my own, and mine alone.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
somewhere out there a terrorist is trading pokemon with there plans attached to the pokemon on a letter with pretty stationary.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I totally misread the title: I thought they meant the Navy got hacked and that the hackers used consoles to do it *facepalm*

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
I can already see the TopShop commercials for console shredders...

"And not only does it COMPLETELY shred a console and then dumps it into a melting pot, burning the remains at a crisp 700 degrees Celsius, you ALSO get this tin foil hat COMPLETELY FREE OF CHARGE if you call in the next 30 minutes!!!"

IWCAS

Jul 28, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Health care system: shit.

Crime rate: too high.

Suicide rate: more than zero.

Economy: really shit.

Legal system: totally fucked.

Water and power: privatized.

"I have an idea, guys! We should spend a bunch of money that we don't have on digging through used Wii's."

"Brilliant! Let's do it!"
Well on the bright side, we aren't wasting money on bills that try to censor the internet........ wait.... :(

Stilkon

Feb 19, 2011
Reverse-engineering a console? Isn't this why Geohot got into trouble? Granted, he was doing it for a different purpose, but... still.