Ubisoft Accused of Peddling Pirated Soundtrack With Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Accused of Peddling Pirated Soundtrack With Assassin's Creed Brotherhood

A nasty rumor making the rounds suggests that Ubisoft may have used a pirated version of the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood [http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Pc/dp/B003L8DXS4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1300222178&sr=8-5] soundtrack as a bonus in the digital PC release of the game.

You might be wondering how it's possible for a game publisher to pirate a soundtrack it's responsible for creating. The story goes like this: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood came out in November 2010 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 but the PC edition won't arrive until later in March. As a bonus for being so patient, Ubisoft served up a "digital deluxe" version of the game for preorder at the same price as the regular edition, which included bonuses like a map of Rome, a behind-the-scenes video and a soundtrack.

The bonus files were released today, not long after which a Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/g4dh1/ubisoft_using_torrented_soundtrack_as_a_part_of/] user noticed something interesting: the ID3 tag comment for each song in the soundtrack reads, "Encoded by arsa13." And who is arsa13? Some Googling revealed him as the fellow who, back in November, uploaded a FLAC version of the Assassin's Creed Brotherhood soundtrack taken from the Xbox 360 version of the game to various torrent sites. A separate Reddit commenter added that it's also "the screen name of someone who's uploaded lots of pirated music to various sites."

So the theory goes like this: instead of taking the time to put together a "proper" soundtrack release for PC gamers, some flunkie at Ubisoft snagged a rip of the 360 version from his local torrent site, converted it to MP3 and turned it loose. And to be clear, it is just a theory at this point, albeit one that looks pretty good based on two facts beyond what's visible in the soundtrack itself.

First, every song in the soundtrack carries the "Encoded by arsa13" comment except one, "Apple Chamber," which according to Wikipedia wasn't present in the CD that accompanied the 360 release of the game but was instead added by Ubisoft for the digital release - which is why it doesn't carry the comment. But perhaps even more damning is that Ubisoft has done something similar in the past. In 2008, Ubisoft "fixed" a DRM issue with no-cd crack [http://www.amazon.com/Tom-Clancys-Rainbow-Six-Vegas-Pc/dp/B0010EI6TM/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1300222388&sr=1-3] created by pirate group Reloaded.

The story, for now, remains a rumor. We've reached out to Ubisoft for clarification but so far the publisher has remained silent on the issue. In the meantime, if anyone else has downloaded the soundtrack and taken the time to check the files, I'd love to hear from you. Where did your copy come from?

Thanks to FrostyCoolSlug [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/FrostyCoolSlug] for the tip.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
But... why?

They must have the originals, its only a bunch of MP3 tracks.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Assuming for the moment that this rumor is true, I find it deeply hilarious that the content creator would turn to pirates to provide them with their own content. Irony - it's what's for breakfast!

Crazy Captcha time go! "Das ndsnj". Seriously, what the hell?

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'm going to sue the Escapist due to the cracked ribs I suffered laughing at this just so you know,

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
Basically this is an advert for pirate sites, as apparantly they have excellent quality stolen shit.

"Even the people who make it cant tell the difference!"

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Woodsey said:
But... why?

They must have the originals, its only a bunch of MP3 tracks.
Hey Intern...go down to music Dept. and get the tracks for release. *Boss Walks away. You look down hallway and say "Fuck that"...Goes Online and google searches the ST and DLed it. You check the quality and then say bam done time to go to lunch.*

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
"Don't pirate our stuff!" "quick! go pirate that code over there!"

Whoever wrote that NoCD crack should sue em for distributing their code for profit without a licence.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Dear arsa13,

Thank you for improving, advertising, and distributing our product for us not only for free but at a personal cost to yourself in terms of time and money spent on the endeavor. We here at Ubisoft want you to know that your hard work and sincere effort, above and beyond that of our average consumer, does not go without reward. That is why, in exchange for this invaluable service, we at Ubisoft have decided to award you with prosecution in a criminal court of law, redeemable in terms of fines and fees as decided by the judge and a truly ridiculously good team of lawyers we will hire to make the case against you in a court that will be upholding laws invented in large part by our lobbyists, who like the lawyers have been hired using funds from sales of the DLC in question.

We hope you enjoy the personal touch,

Ubisoft

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well this is interesting, but it also doesn't surprise me all that much.

When it comes to things like DRM it doesn't surprise me that a company might use the work of a pirate who successfully removed the DRM entirely to save time. Stealing the pirate's work without giving credit would be just an interesting thing to do, as giving credit to the person who engaged in what you considered criminal at the time. One of those doomed if you do, doomed if you don't situations.

With the current music compilation, the same logic applies, if the person in question did such a good job with the piracy, why do the same thing all over again just for the heck of it? If your going to use their work, it comes down to the same logic above.

I mean it's interesting and all, but hardly shocking.

It will be interesting to say if anything official ever comes of this. It's not like the pirates can say "hey you stole the work we did to steal your work" and be taken seriously in any legal sense. :)

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Aaahahahahahahahohaaaaa? oh wow, I may have hurt something there. That was brilliant. Thank you, I needed that after a day of bad news. :)

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Yay to blurring the line in digital theft! They might have argued, if they caught the guy, that he was breaking copyright by duplicating their files, but where do rights lie in copies of copyrighted files? I mean, if you pirate these files, does it count the same as if you ripped the originals from the Xbox? I mean, it's not like the studio actually paid anything for the files in question, and isn't that the whole point about IP protection and copyright? Eh, digital law needs sorting out :/

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This is almost too good to be true, but if it is true...

lololololol to infinity +1