Ubisoft Adds Much Requested Customization to Assassin's Creed Unity

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Co-op...

A skill system...

Boiler plate customization...

and other features that have been a staple in video games for years.

[HEADING=1]TRULY NEXT GEN GUYZZ!!![/HEADING]

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Cautiously optimistic about this.

I don't have a problem with them creating multiple ways of playing the game so the action fan makes it a hack-n-slash, while the stealth lover makes it a sneaker.

But the franchise hasn't exactly had a great deal of success in expanding the combat options, mostly because the combat system has been dead easy since the first installment and constantly getting easier and easier. We'll see.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Jayngfet said:
SilverUchiha said:
Another half-assed attempt from Ubi to please the fans but totally missing the point. So I guess let me just throw out my thoughts:

If you're going to make an online playable co-op experience (or competitive) we should be able to play as anyone we want. MAle, female, black, white, asian, purple, etc. Saints Row managed that with no problem. Skyrim. Fallout, etc.

If you just want one playable character and he/she is the main character and the point is to tell a story and nothing more... that's single player. Make it a single player game. Simple as that.

Don't really even care at this point though. Aside from the Trials games, I'm done with Ubi. (for unrelated crap they've done recently).

And just to be clear, Unity IS a single player game. Multiplayer is an added extra that goes on top of single player oriented missions and uses material from single player. This isn't the Mass Effect multiplayer where it's a totally separate thing, it's literally integrated into the base champagne.
My point exactly. They should be completely separate because combining them together very much feels like having ones cake and eating it. I don't see a need to ruin perfectly adequate single player by letting other assholes jump into my game with their bizarre colored hoods stealing all the kills I had been wanting to save for myself. Plus the idea of a squad of assassins feels insanely less stealthy than a single lone assassin.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
All I see is Ubisoft has added what many games has had for years! ... About the only thing they could ever do that would surprise me or make me happy would be to announce they are shutting down.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Jayngfet said:
SilverUchiha said:
Jayngfet said:
SilverUchiha said:
Another half-assed attempt from Ubi to please the fans but totally missing the point. So I guess let me just throw out my thoughts:

If you're going to make an online playable co-op experience (or competitive) we should be able to play as anyone we want. MAle, female, black, white, asian, purple, etc. Saints Row managed that with no problem. Skyrim. Fallout, etc.

If you just want one playable character and he/she is the main character and the point is to tell a story and nothing more... that's single player. Make it a single player game. Simple as that.

Don't really even care at this point though. Aside from the Trials games, I'm done with Ubi. (for unrelated crap they've done recently).

And just to be clear, Unity IS a single player game. Multiplayer is an added extra that goes on top of single player oriented missions and uses material from single player. This isn't the Mass Effect multiplayer where it's a totally separate thing, it's literally integrated into the base champagne.
My point exactly. They should be completely separate because combining them together very much feels like having ones cake and eating it. I don't see a need to ruin perfectly adequate single player by letting other assholes jump into my game with their bizarre colored hoods stealing all the kills I had been wanting to save for myself. Plus the idea of a squad of assassins feels insanely less stealthy than a single lone assassin.
...and the actual video released says you can do solo Assassinations. That's very much a confirmed thing. The party based tactics are just an optional extra.

Which is kind of what we've wanted for a while. I remember going through revelations and wondering why Yusef would get built up as being just as cool as Ezio and have a similar role and loadout and stick around the whole game and somehow not be playable, despite the animus having a whole second dude to sync in. Or Adwale also not being playable despite being established as a huge badass in his own right. Or Mary, since you have to drag her along on some missions anyway.
But that's a different topic entirely. That's DIFFERENT characters being playable in these party missions. Narratively, yes, that would make sense. But it doesn't make a lick of sense to have 3-5 other Arno's running around in a game unless we reveal there's some kind of cloning apparatus or the multiverse has suddenly collapsed in on itself. If the co-op aspect was legitimately different characters, then I'd probably have less issue with it (which brings us back to the customization thing). But since it's all the same character it doesn't make any narrative sense and just comes off as a lazy attempt for a co-op mechanic that probably is just as necessary as it was in, say, Borderlands (which it wasn't necessary at all in that).

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Falterfire said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'm skeptical about the skills, it feels as if they've taken the core skills you'd used in most of the games and just broken them down into pieces meaning you'd have only the choice of a few instead of just giving you the regular skill set and letting your actual skills be what makes the mission a success, it doesn't exactly sound enticing.

Dig the colour schemes though but I don't exactly see any of the clothing changes as being any more stealthy, Creed kinda sailed that boat long ago.
Whether separating out skills and forcing choice is a bad thing depends on how well the rest of the game is built around it. If you have all skills always and some are better for certain situations, you'll always use the one best for that situation. If you have to choose specific tools ahead of time, you have to figure out a way to solve the problem using only what you have with you.

Think of it like a toolbox: You definitely can build your project if you have access to everything, but it might be more interesting to build it if you only have three screws and a hacksaw.
Not totally true.

And Ubisoft proved it with Blacklist. You could easily go through it guns blazing but it was fun to try and stealth the whole game. And I for one hate arbitrary handcuffs to force you to "solve" it their way. That's not solving it. That's just following their path. It's one of the reasons I hated Last of Us so much. It forced mediocre stealth on me.