Ubisoft Announces Great War PS4 Puzzler Valiant Hearts

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft Announces Great War PS4 Puzzler Valiant Hearts

With your canine helper, try to survive the trenches of the Western Front and reunite two lovers.

Ubisoft's latest project - built on the UbiArt framework of Rayman fame - is a Great War minimalist puzzle game, Valiant Hearts. Its beauty will captivate you, but the story's where this one really shines. You take on the role of several different characters - Emile, a French POW, Lucky Freddie the American, Ana the Rose of the Trenches, George the Brit who may or may not know how to fly, and Karl, the German whose love affair with Ana drives the plot - each trying to survive the bloody battlefields of the Western Front. Your helper here is a German dog, separated from its owner during an artillery barrage, which not only tries to keep you breathing but also guides you during action and puzzle sequences. Or maybe you could just play fetch. That works too, if you happen to have a bone handy.

The ten-strong development team wants to introduce a younger generation to this period in history, soon to reach its 100 year anniversary. Part of the plot involves letters sent by soldiers serving at the Front, some of which were written by producer Yoan Fanise's great-grandfather; and several other members of the ream have personal connections to the War. The art style deliberately invokes this, making the battlefields and personalities stylized representations of the originals. Fanise has put his heart, soul, and grandfather's dogtags into this one, and it shows; the characters may be drawn as caricatures, but their stories aren't.

Valiant Hearts is due for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PC, PS3 and PS4 in 2014.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/10/valiant-hearts-the-great-war-revealed/]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I see ubisoft has once again grabbed my attention to another interesting game.

Inb4 the PC crowd starts bitching like they always do.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Wow I have to admit that video was exceptional and I hope the game can deliver, hopefully it'll be on PS+.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
I want to play it... but I can see where its going.
There will be no happy reunion for all the characters (there were four graves after all) and there's a trusty canine companion involved which also bodes ill. I managed to play To the Moon because I didn't realise just how hard hitting it would be, but this is ringing alarm bells for me and I may struggle to force myself to play it.

I should add that this isn't a bad thing.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
That looks very interesting. Nice art style and I'd like to know more about the actual gameplay. Nice to see something going for something other than a shooter for a war themed game and nice to see something focusing on WW1 as we really don't get much of that.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I do hope I'm allowed to express some amount of dismay at the fact this will be Playstation-only and I won't be able to play what looks like an interesting game with potential, without sounding like I'm bitching about it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'm becoming worried that there are too many good indie games coming out for a platform where people don't have such a strong indie game tradition. What if the attention is split between too many titles and none of them do as well as they should?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Teoes said:
That looks very interesting. Nice art style and I'd like to know more about the actual gameplay. Nice to see something going for something other than a shooter for a war themed game and nice to see something focusing on WW1 as we really don't get much of that.

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I do hope I'm allowed to express some amount of dismay at the fact this will be Playstation-only and I won't be able to play what looks like an interesting game with potential, without sounding like I'm bitching about it.
I know right?, I really wish I could have everything from what Ferrari produce and have it all included into my Lamborghini.

A man can dream though, a man can dream.

Simonism451

Oct 27, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Teoes said:

Shadow-Phoenix said:
I know right?, I really wish I could have everything from what Ferrari produce and have it all included into my Lamborghini.

A man can dream though, a man can dream.

I'm fairly sure that it's also coming out for PC

sez IGN at http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/valiant-hearts-the-great-war-ubisofts-world-war-i-love-story:
"Today Ubisoft unveiled Valiant Hearts: The Great War, a gorgeous side-scroller headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC in 2014. Per Ubisoft?s official description, Valiant Hearts is ?the story of 5 crossed destinies and a broken love in a world torn apart. All of them will try to survive the horror of the trenches following their faithful canine companion.? "
Hope your Ferrari can handle not being special.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Simonism451 said:
I'm fairly sure that it's also coming out for PC

sez IGN at http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/valiant-hearts-the-great-war-ubisofts-world-war-i-love-story:
"Today Ubisoft unveiled Valiant Hearts: The Great War, a gorgeous side-scroller headed to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC in 2014. Per Ubisoft?s official description, Valiant Hearts is ?the story of 5 crossed destinies and a broken love in a world torn apart. All of them will try to survive the horror of the trenches following their faithful canine companion.? "
Hope your Ferrari can handle not being special.

It most likely will and even if I had owned a Lamborghini I'd be over the moon.

To be more specific I'd probably go for the Veneno

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Veneno#Veneno

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
That's pretty bold of them to have a playable German character in a game about WW1.

I hope this gets a retail release.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
This looks very promising!

Genocidicles said:
That's pretty bold of them to have a playable German character in a game about WW1.
Eh, don't we usually look at WWI pretty sympathetically for all sides - at least for the soliders in the trenches anyway?

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I don't know what has gotten into Ubisoft as of late, but I'm loving whatever it is.

I always wanted to see a game that used WW1 as the backdrop, so I'm hoping this lives up to the potential.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
This looks interesting, but it would have been nice to see some in-game footage. Hopefully it doesn't fall prey to Ubisofts 'everything must be a franchise' strategy and end up as a modern military shooter in a few years.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Genocidicles said:

I hope this gets a retail release.
WW1 didn't have Nazis or any of the atrocities your probably thinking of, that's WW2. In WW1 both sides were following the Geneva convention etc and equally good and bad.

OT: Great to see as there are far too few games set in WW1. Which at a time when a lot of the youth are learning from games it's a bad thing.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
RicoADF said:
WW1 didn't have Nazis or any of the atrocities your probably thinking of, that's WW2. In WW1 both sides were following the Geneva convention etc and equally good and bad.
I know, but a lot of people still consider them the 'baddies' of WW1. Of course, that might just be in Britain.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
surprised that it's not on wii u given the genre (what, is it a graphics issue now? come on) but i'd rather not hear any more made up excuses so they can do whatever the hell they want, they're the ones that fucked that entire deal to begin with