Ubisoft Cancels U.K. Release of We Dare

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Cancels U.K. Release of We Dare

In response to an uproar from parents and politicians, Ubisoft has decided to cancel the release of We Dare [http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9414] in the U.K.

The rating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108018-Ubisoft-Unveils-a-Sexy-Wii-Minigame-Compilation-for-Adults]. Despite Ubi's insistence that the game was hot and naughty stuff, PEGI said it wasn't really all that daring at all, but that wasn't enough to satisfy vocal parents and politicians who worried that the game would encourage kids to engage in underage sex.

But now we can stop thinking about the children, because The Telegraph [http://www.ubi.com].

PEGI [http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/952], meanwhile, continued to stand its ground with a new statement defending the 12+ rating. "Conclusions by press and commenters have been based exclusively on the online commercial, whereas the conclusions of PEGI were based on the game experience," the agency said. "The content of the game and the interaction that the game itself implies do not warrant a higher rating. Marketing may have implied something else, but PEGI does not rate advertising, it rates game content."

I think there are two points worth making in all this. One, We Dare is unquestionably silly and the infamous YouTube ad makes it look flat-out ridiculous. Two, Ubisoft's decision to drop the game in the U.K. is extremely unfortunate; I don't live in the country so I don't know how strong the backlash actually is but it seems to me that a few Sun subscribers and Keith Vaz aren't worth getting terribly worked up over. If nothing else, it suggests a lack of validity on the part of PEGI, which made a decision and stood by it, and that makes the whole system look bad. I'm inclined to think that Ubisoft pulled the plug not because of the controversy but because the game was destined to bomb badly, and that's fair enough. It just would've been nice if it could have figured that out before things got to this point.

Source: GamePolitics [http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1154511p1.html]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
If Ubisoft didn't run that stupid ad, none of this would've happened.
The game would've come out, bombed and faded from memory within a month.

The moral guardian outrage is frustrating as it always is, but running a pointlessly "sexy" ad for a PEGI 12 rated game; they were practically asking for the watchdogs to bite them in the ass.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Wait, there was a backlash at all? I live in England and haven't heard anything about it in most news channels, mostly its been about the economy cuts and the Libyan civil war over here o_O

The Sun barely counts as a news paper, its really the English equivalent of Fox News... but meh, I don't think anyone will really miss the game :p

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
The videogame industry really has to grow out of this habit of folding to any kind of political/media pressure.

Reaganomics

Russian Roulette Runner-up
Jun 14, 2010
The people of the U.K. just lost out on the best line ever.
"Want to come to my place and play a sexy game on my wii?"

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Wasn't Extra Credits yelling at EA for their marketing not too long ago? I'd add Ubisoft to that list.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
It doesn't surprise me that people think that this game is all about lewd acts since the only thing these people have access to is that one advertisment, and people trust advertisments to show what something is about.

Also,

Andy Chalk said:
If nothing else, it suggests a lack of validity on the part of PEGI, which made a decision and stood by it, and that makes the whole system look bad.
How does coming to an informed decision and refusing to cave in from the peer pressure of the uninformed make you look bad or like you lack validity? Seriously, I'm asking.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
RatRace123 said:
If Ubisoft didn't run that stupid ad, none of this would've happened.
The game would've come out, bombed and faded from memory within a month.

The moral guardian outrage is frustrating as it always is, but running a pointlessly "sexy" ad for a PEGI 12 rated game; they were practically asking for the watchdogs to bite them in the ass.
Agreed. You gotta love the typical ignorance shown.
Parents: "This game is encouraging our children to have sex!"
Rating Board: "We played the game, trust us, it doesn't."
Parents: "But we saw a 2 minute ad for it! WE KNOW IT DOES!"
Sigh....

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
FightThePower said:
The videogame industry really has to grow out of this habit of folding to any kind of political/media pressure.
I think it was more like, "Wow. These people really fucking hate our guts"

They were planning on an Adult only (or whatever the UK equivalent is over there), but it blew up in their faces.

Its like a guy was a total legend at a party and banged a bunch of chicks and wanted to put the video recording on his Facebook. But he realized that his parents were on facebook, so he took it down.

If you don't think about it, that analogy makes perfect sense.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Wow, a game that doesn't see release that doesn't have a mature rating. Oh the progress we're going through. Keep this up and PEGI 7 games will stop hitting the shelves and maybe in 10-20 years no games will hit the shelves.

Ubisoft should learn from the Bulletstorm thing... It would have sold a lot because it had been said to be immoral, also since PEGI gave it a 12 rating it would have increased the numbers on who bought it too, since I guess 12-15 is the most popular age range for this kind of game.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
So many things to say, I just want to point to the comments made here and /shame.[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.267253-Ubisofts-Sexy-Minigame-Collection-Too-Naughty-for-U-S[/link] We're all the same, hugs everyone.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I didn't think the UK had made the change to PEGI system yet, aren't they still in the process of changing?

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I don't know why they wanted to make the game in the first place. I mean really. Just watching the commercial I could feel my dignity shrinking.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009

Ubisoft is now a meme.

Seriously though, someone isn't watching their Extra Credits. We can thank EA for setting the recent standard I guess.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I honestly don't know who to be annoyed at here.

Ubisoft make an extremely silly but utterly harmless game. Then market it with an even sillier ad.
Then Team Prude catch a whiff of sex and jump all over it while yelling, "Think of the children!"

I guess the moral of the story is that english-speaking people just aren't sexy enough to play the wii.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
UK: Cut it out. We Americans already have the whole "unreasonably prudish" angle covered, and we don't appreciate you edging in on our turf.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Here's an idea: Don't market the game through sex.

Oh wait, then people will notice that the game itself is terrible and have no reason to buy it.

Nevermind, better off not selling it altogether then.

In all seriousness though, why not just remove the ad and sell the game without overly relying on a sexualized marketing strategy? Surely this ban will just start the ball rolling in other countries to raise a similar fuss?

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Lol ain't it great how Europeans think Americans are all up tight about sex?
Then go about banning everything?