Ubisoft Commissioned a Stone PS4 to Celebrate Upcoming Far Cry Primal

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Ubisoft Commissioned a Stone PS4 to Celebrate Upcoming Far Cry Primal

Gaming, Stone Age style.

Far Cry Primal releases next week, and in celebration of the upcoming launch Ubisoft paid someone to carve a PlayStation 4 and controllers out of stone. Sure, these items won't actually play the game - or any game - but they look quite pretty.

"This project was a great challenge for me and I really enjoyed seeing the modern and techy items come together in this natural form," said Stonemason Nick Roberson. "The buttons of the controllers were certainly tricky but I'm delighted with the final results and the fantastic way they've been collated for the shoot."

"This project was undertaken to highlight the vast landscape and rich setting of the Stone Age era in Far Cry Primal," said Senior PR Manager at Ubisoft Tom Goldberger in a press release. "Nick has managed to immortalize, in stone, the beautiful, elegant designs of these iconic items with unbelievable accuracy."

Roberson didn't stop with the console and controllers, either. He was actually commissioned to craft an entire gaming den out of sandstone. This den included a stone television, pizza box, beer can, and coffee table.

Far Cry Primal releases on February 23 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and March 1 on PC.

[gallery=5742]

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I am super disappointed that this thing doesn't play games. I'd have given mad, MAD respect to the crazy S.O.B. that carved a PS4 case and controllers and then put in all the electronics necessary to play actual game.

This? This is just mildly neat.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Yaay! A device that is of the same technological level as the primitive tools the peasants play on. The PC master race has outgrown stone PC's. Ours are made from the finest bronze.

In all seriousness, I'll take the hype for this game with a grain of Arsenic, seeing as Ubisoft hasn't had a stellar record lately and no amount of sweet talking is going to make me budge. I'll wait for Jim "Fucking Sterling Son's" review

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Kajin said:
I am super disappointed that this thing doesn't play games. I'd have given mad, MAD respect to the crazy S.O.B. that carved a PS4 case and controllers and then put in all the electronics necessary to play actual game.

Ugh try hard! Ugh put many hour into carving! Why people no like Ugh's work!

OT: Joking aside I pretty much agree entirely.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
erttheking said:
Kajin said:

Ugh try hard! Ugh put many hour into carving! Why people no like Ugh's work!

OT: Joking aside I pretty much agree entirely.
Ahhhh, give the guy a break, I checked his work and he does mainly do Stone Carving for a living.
Can't imagine that line of work includes the skills to take apart fancy consumer electronics and stuff them inside a solid stone Sculpture in a way that allows it to still function normally.
It's not like working with wood, you can't really make those things hollow as far as I know.

Could Ubisoft fork out the money to do something like that? Most likely, but it kinda feels like we're getting disappointed that a statue of a bird doesn't actually take off and fly :p

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm just picturing charlie brown getting this for christmas:

Linus: so did you get that ps4 you wanted, charlie?
Charlie: No, I got a rock.

(As others mentioned, I am disappointed it does not actually play games. However, as a sculptor myself I can recognize how very hard that would have been.)

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
Could Ubisoft fork out the money to do something like that? Most likely, but it kinda feels like we're getting disappointed that a statue of a bird doesn't actually take off and fly :p
That's asking for the impossible. I'm merely asking for the inconceivably difficult.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I like the creative marketing ideas. Better than just forcing it into everybody else's choice of entertainment. Oh wait, sorry...rabble rabble...ubisoft bad...insert totally-not-overdone tower joke here...rabble rabble. Or should i say rubble! Hehe, i amuse myself too much, perhaps games aren't even necessary anymore!

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Kajin said:
Diablo1099 said:
That's asking for the impossible. I'm merely asking for the inconceivably difficult.
Oh, glad we got that cleared up so :p

Seriously, as fucking amazing as that would have been, this is still pretty cool, especially when combined with the rest of the gaming set up in the other pictures.
If they commission more of these, they would be great community prizes or something.

Wuvlycuddles said:
Wow! It can brick literally and figuratively!
I laughed so hard I ended up coughing and nearly threw up as a result.
I hope you are happy with yourself TT.TT

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I feel like the title is a little misleading as it isn't really a stone ps4 but rather a model of a ps4 made out of stone.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Wuvlycuddles said:
Wow! It can brick literally and figuratively!
You legitimately made me laugh here. Good job.

OP: I agree that this would be cooler if it was a functioning unit, but that is pretty much impossible. It is pretty damn awesome though, and exactly the sort of promo stunt we should see more of. 5 years down the road this is going to end up on someone's desk and then auctioned off at a gaming charity event.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
All I can think of when looking at that is the bit from Aqua Teen Hunger Force: "Now continue to your left and view Egypt's pathetic and ignorant attempt... at a cellular phone."

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Kajin said:

I was thinking this at first, but the rock would keep the heat in. It's cool, but nearly worthless.

OT: Nice marketing but I feel like Primal is going to fall flat on it's face. The idea and novelty might help with sales but I see this game pulling in sub-expected numbers.

Kajin

Apr 13, 2008
EHKOS said:
Kajin said:

I was thinking this at first, but the rock would keep the heat in. It's cool, but nearly worthless.
Just put a higher quality heat sink system inside it. Right now, it's just a rock. Cool, but nearly worthless.