Ubisoft Delays Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Delays Splinter Cell: Blacklist

The latest addition to the Splinter Cell series has been pushed back to the summer.

Originally scheduled to come out this spring, Splinter Cell: Blacklist has now been delayed until August. The company didn't offer specific reasons for the delay, but Senior Producer Alex Parizeau hinted that the game, in a very general sense, just isn't ready for prime time.

"We've said it before, but this truly is the biggest game in the series - it has a huge scope. We've created a massive amount of content across all the game modes, from single player, to co-op and multiplayer, and we feel strongly that the game will benefit from taking the time we need for polish," Parizeau said. "We all saw how that decision helped another great Ubisoft franchise this past year with Far Cry and we have the same high expectations for our title."

To tide fans over, Ubisoft released a new "Inauguration" trailer, proving once and for all that Sam Fisher is in fact an immortal who has served U.S. Presidents from Truman to Obama and beyond. I think we can all agree that's the coolest thing to happen to the franchise since Chaos Theory.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist [http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Splinter-Cell-Blacklist-Playstation-3/dp/B0086V5V8G/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358365998&sr=8-1&keywords=Splinter+Cell+Blacklist] is now scheduled to come out on August 20 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: Ubisoft [http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/748110-NEW-TRAILER-IGN-Exclusive]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Whatever. Without the features such as interrogating random guards, hacking computers, picking locks and that kind of stuff I wouldn't be interested anyway. I hope they delayed it in order to add some real Splinter Cell features.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
To be honest, the last Splinter Cell was more like an episode of 24. If they'd changed the names of the characters and organisations it could easily have been considering what it was actually like.

For me to be interested in this one it'd have to actually be about stealth, clever hiding places and other such things like Chaos Theory.

Or else it'd need to have near identical multiplayer to it. It's probably the one game I can think of where I actually thought the multiplayer was better than the single player (although the campaign was great too).

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Ubisoft is not above delaying and reworking a game based on negative feedback -- remember Sam Fischer's beard?

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
shameduser said:
Probably to add some more DLC.
You mean cut content out of the game to use as DLC?

DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe they're trying to edit out a section that takes place in an elementary school
Seems legit. I remember in one interview the director talked about how edgy the game was in having you make hard decisions like whether or not to bomb a school.

Norix596 said:
Ubisoft is not above delaying and reworking a game based on negative feedback -- remember Sam Fischer's beard?
That was not because of negative feedback, and they didn't delay the game for just a few months.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Huzzah Looks like a good match between chaos theory and the newer faster paced stealth.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Norix596 said:
I don't >_>...

Well it's got me titillated at least. I remember desperately wanting to like Conviction and that carried me only so far till I just had to admit it was a complete mess of a game that didn't have any of the charms of the last game. Especially the guards mentality of "well that super government assassin is out of eyesight, he'll probably not come back... what were we doing again?" ::Continues down simple patrol path, stopping briefly to keep his back to every shadowy corner::.

sneakypenguin said:
Huzzah Looks like a good match between chaos theory and the newer faster paced stealth.
I don't like newer faster paced stealth, feeling like a fish out of water in a open gun fight is what keeps people to the stealth.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Scorpid said:
Norix596 said:
I don't >_>...

This was Ubisoft's original design for Sam in Splinter Cell: Conviction. It would seem he did an Ethan Thomas and went for the homeless look.

Needless to say, he was dubbed "Hobo Fisher" by the community at large and there was much outrage. Shortly after the rage he was redesigned to look as he does now. Pretty boring story really and it's nothing new as far as the modern gaming industry goes.

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Legion said:
To be honest, the last Splinter Cell was more like an episode of 24. If they'd changed the names of the characters and organisations it could easily have been considering what it was actually like.

For me to be interested in this one it'd have to actually be about stealth, clever hiding places and other such things like Chaos Theory.

Or else it'd need to have near identical multiplayer to it. It's probably the one game I can think of where I actually thought the multiplayer was better than the single player (although the campaign was great too).
Yeah. Pretty much agree with this. They did say it would have Spies vs. Mercs back, but they haven't shown anything of it yet. On a side note, have you played Double Agent for the original Xbox/PS2? It's actually made by the same team that did Chaos Theory whereas the Shanghai team did the next gen version. It's worth checking out if our jonesing for more Chaos Theory, especially if you have someone to coop with, since there's about 15 coop missions in it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
Scorpid said:
Norix596 said:
I don't >_>...

This was Ubisoft's original design for Sam in Splinter Cell: Conviction. It would seem he did an Ethan Thomas and went for the homeless look.

Needless to say, he was dubbed "Hobo Fisher" by the community at large and there was much outrage. Shortly after the rage he was redesigned to look as he does now. Pretty boring story really and it's nothing new as far as the modern gaming industry goes.
And the game still looked a lot better than what Conviction ended up being.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Tanis said:
I'd rather have a new Syphon Filter.
That got a little tear rolling down my cheek *sigh* I miss Gabe.
Funny enough I actually thought Fisher looked a lot like him when I first saw screen shots of Splinter Cell.

Any way ONT: ....I really didn't have anything to say. Sam Fisher is dead without Ironside to define him with that voice. And so are my interests in this series.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Whatever. Without the features such as interrogating random guards, hacking computers, picking locks and that kind of stuff I wouldn't be interested anyway. I hope they delayed it in order to add some real Splinter Cell features.
Wait, they took that stuff out? But that's the main crux of stealth gameplay completely gutted out!?!

I mean, all that's left is turning lights off and running behind people.
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Yay for jingoism.

Seriously though... leaping through a glass window, bullets blazing, shining a massive fuckoff light in the enemy's face? That's a novel way to approach stealth...
The worst thing about it was that it appears to take place in a cut scene, as does every bit of gameplay I've seen that involves more than 2 people in a small room, or that part in the demo where you skip to a cutscene to watch a truck arrive... or jump over a wall... etc. The only thing they seem to trust us with is walking to the next area to watch Sam do something that would be really cool and challenging in gameplay, but instead the game takes control because the real reason we all play games is to watch the 15 second clips of protagonist-man jumping through thin objects and punching people.