Ubisoft: Digital Games Aren't Profitable Enough

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I am all about profit making for companies. But I will not understand why they can't get why every single game can't do as well as other games have done. Nor will I understand statements made by the people who run these companies. If you can't turn a "large enough" profit with the games you own, they aren't doing something right. And whining to everyone as a whole does little besides make you look like a completely money hungry moron. Also, whining isn't good for your sales.

As a final note to this, which I think it is far too late in the evening for me to even try making sense, just because a company did something and made a huge profit out of it doesn't mean every attempt at the same thing will meet the same results. In real life, in a laboratory environment, they reproduce an experiment and get the same results many many times before the hypothesis becomes a law. Business is no different, it happened once and that isn't enough evidence to suggest that it will happen again when you do it.

Also, I would imagine that the overhead at Zynga is a whole lot less than at Ubisoft. When you invest 20 hours of time and have no overhead, anything looks good, and the numbers they get look fantastic. But at ubisoft, those numbers need to be much larger to make it look like the same kind of success.

Atmos Duality said:
Just looking for some clarity, that's all. Based on the title of the article, it would appear that investors are complaining about making money, but not making as much as they were hoping.
That is exactly what they are talking about. They didn't make enough, they did make money though. They expect to be making more, and they are not making as much as they believe they should be making. Then they sit and blame the market for their failure. It's not that they aren't making games people are interested in, it's that the digital/browser game market isn't as profitable as they are lead to believe. And this markets profitability shows itself as an anomaly anyway.

throumbas

Sep 6, 2009
Ubisoft keeps making awful games, keeps sticking with unpopular DRM, and always, ALWAYS, complains when their bad decisions dont make them money. Probably one of the worst gaming companies.