Ubisoft Ditches Always-On DRM

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I've heard this before, and I'm quite sure I will hear it again. The end result, I'll believe it when I see it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Yay I can buy Ubisoft games again!

Damm, I already budgeted for all my games this year and Assassins Creed III didn't make the cut. Mostly due to potential DRM issues.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
This is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted, been caught and turned into glue.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
Well, call me cautiously optimistic, still not going to trust them, but if they release a game I'm interested in, and it actually does't have DRM on it, I'll buy it.

Captcha: Geronimo!

Why does that sound so ominous?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Yes i can finally lift my boycott of their games and just in time for AssCreed III and Watch Dogs!

Now i can start boycotting EA instead.

NotALiberal

Jul 10, 2012
kortin said:
Too bad. Always On DRM is better than a lot of the other stuff they could throw at us. Like install limit.
They got rid of install limits too. Go read the full interview. One time activation from here on out.. or say they say.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Thank Christ.

Now, if you could retroactively patch this into your games I might go out and buy some of the ones you already released!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TopazFusion said:

Will this open the floodgates of rampant piracy? Only time will tell ...
o.0

that pic is awesome .... what ever thought i had before was eaten by that bear o.o

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
This is some of the best news I've heard all year, but with Ubi's track record I'd still approach with a bit of caution. Reasons for them dropping the always-on requirement have to be a bit further rooted then allofasudden "hai gaiz listen to the customerz ok??!?" But we'll see how that goes. For me it's good news, maybe even tipping me to get AC3 and the next Rainbow 6 (my favorite shooters so far).

Now the only issue, according to me, is treatment of PC ports, the last few have been pretty damn sad, but this is still one step in the right direction.

And I don't give a crap about Uplay: if their business model and software is less spyware and more just digital distribution, I think that's great. I don't think Steam should have a monopoly anyways, in fact the more digital distribution there is, the better. They will be forced to compete with each other, allow each other on cross platforms, give better deals, AND all this with the least intrusive/tedious DRM. Why everyone seems so keen on letting Steam and Steam alone dictate all these terms is a mystery to me.

I know they are doing great deals and service and such, but in the beginning it was a total PITA, anyone who bought and played HL2 at launch knows this. GOG has won my heart: we can hope that others follow suit, no?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
To be honest, I don't play very many Ubi Soft games anyway. I like the Rayman series, but only until recently it's been shit (by recently I mean Rayman Origins was fucking awesome)

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Makes me wonder whether that episode on Jimquisition about whining being better than boycotting is holding some truth after all? I mean in the interview on RPS the only suitable answer they can think of rather than admitting they f*ked up is "we listened to the feedback". Hmmmm....

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
...and cue the applause. Now let's get the rest of the big developers to follow suit and then I can go on a PC game buying spree...

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
There is an interesting read on piracy here [http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html]. Warning! It's a long article. The guy sketches a pretty good picture of the impact on piracy. I don't agree with him on all points, but I do stand behind most of the things he said.

GAunderrated said:
Got the data for those statistics? If not please take those Fox News style stats to try and justify something that should never be justified in order to push an ignorant agenda and just go. Thanks
It's hard to get definitive statistics for illegal activities. And I already said I wasn't justifying Ubisoft, nor do I have an agenda to push. I was just pointing out something people don't want to hear. You should also read my follow-up here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.387355-Ubisoft-Ditches-Always-On-DRM#15470164] if you haven't done so already and if you still care.

I'll give another example some people might be familiar with: gold-sellers in MMORPG's.

Do you know why gold-sellers exist? Because people keep buying gold. If people would stop buying gold, then the gold-seller would go away.

Now, lets play a game... replace 'gold-sellers' with 'DRM', 'buying' with 'pirating' and 'gold' with 'games'.

Do you know why DRM exists? Because people keep pirating games. If people would stop pirating games, then the DRM would go away.

---

ElPatron said:
Next time provide source for those numbers and percentages.

Every year I check the most pirated games, the number of pirated copies downloaded in PCs is only a couple times higher than the number of pirated console releases. That's not what I call "massive". To me "massive" is like a million times greater. Two or three times isn't "massive".
Yeah, but console games sell more than their counter part PC version (in most cases). So in absolute number their might not be a big difference, but in relative numbers there is.

TheDutch3Z said:
CD Project would like to have a word with you
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117361-DRM-Is-Still-Dumb-Says-CD-Projekt
I dislike DRM, but it has become a necessary evil. CD Projekt removed their DRM, but it hasn't stopped pirates. The game sold about 1.5 million copies, but was pirated over 3 million times according to CD Projekt.

Still, there is DRM and then there is Ubisoft's DRM. Ubisoft went too far.

dogstile said:
Eh, it won't achieve anything. Anyone who is willing to pirate a game doesn't mind waiting a few weeks. Its free, after all.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. There is no reason to believe all pirates are as patient. Well, maybe they are and it won't achieve anything.

Royas said:
And your source for all of this information is... what? Show the proof.

Personally, I tend to see games protected by pretty much all DRM schemes around online not within two weeks, not within 1 week, not even within 1 day, but within hours of release. Sometimes, even before official release. DRM does NOT work at all, it only stops the honest and the ignorant. I doubt there is a game in my library that I couldn't have pirated on the same day it was released, except for a few that were the first examples of a new scheme.

PC games are certainly pirated, and a lot. But so are consoles.

Anyway, I really wonder if this is just because they are currently coming up with something even worse. The mind shudders to think of what evil plans they may have for us.
As I mentioned above, PC games get pirated more than console games. Companies try out new things for better or worse. EA goes social/multiplayer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119449-EA-Turns-Its-Back-on-Single-Player-Games] and Ubisoft is thinking about F2P (free to play) [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.385893-Ubisoft-Puts-PC-Piracy-Rate-at-93-95]. Both have do to with piracy. DRM might not work, but there are other options, like Steam or F2P.