Ubisoft: DRM is Ineffective Against Piracy

Rtoip

Jan 15, 2011
While I agree with the no DRM thing, I really don't with the make everything multiplayer.
They are actually doing it already in Unity. With the random people in your SP missions, that I'm sure are "integral for the experience" and the game cannot be played without it because "it was designed with that in mind" or some bullshit.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
"Crap, people are really pissed about that 'female characters are too much work' thing. How are we going to smooth this one over?"

"Well, we could always cave and admit that DRM doesn't actually do anything. That's always a hot topic, right?"

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Rtoip said:
While I agree with the no DRM thing, I really don't with the make everything multiplayer.
They are actually doing it already in Unity. With the random people in your SP missions, that I'm sure are "integral for the experience" and the game cannot be played without it because "it was designed with that in mind" or some bullshit.
Its not just Ubi doing this either, Dark Souls II invasions took it to the next level, staying hollow doesn't opt you out unlike the first game.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
How the hell in this advanced age of communication can they still be so fucking slow!? Maybe they're just fuckin' with us, but then again, Microsoft proved big publishers can be real retards.

I haven't bought any of their games in a long time because of all the negative reviews, mostly about Uplay. I would like to try some you know. It's never going to happen, isn't it?

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I really hope more people realize why UBI had stated this.

Think this through for a few moments, UBI has been hit with a lot of internet backlash for a while. The FarCry racism deal, the WatchDogs graphics deal, along with it;s mod witch is a PR Shitstorm. And then you have Unity as well.

Pretty much every thing they've done recently has drawn Ire. So, what do they do? Divert attention away from it.

"Well, it's not so bad now, they're considering removing their DRM."

They just said it doesn't work. We need to continue pressing the issues of Diversity in AAA as well as the lies on graphics. We need to show them that we're not stupid [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-CBs0XNlM].

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Ubisoft has certainly come a long way from those Assassin's Creed II days...
Hell, it was just bit under two years ago they were making the 90% piracy claims and the like. They've come a long way just in that time period.

Whether or not they live up to it, though, I guess we'll see.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Can't source you on this, but I remember reading research a while ago that showed having a Demo for your game actually DECREASED overall sales, due to people trying the game, disliking it, and not buying it.
Well, if your was worth buying. then your demo would show that. I had a few demo discs back in the day, stuff to entice me to play the games in question. Some of them worked, others did not. If you can't live with the results of your work, you shouldn't even publish.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BeerTent said:
I really hope more people realize why UBI had stated this.

Think this through for a few moments, UBI has been hit with a lot of internet backlash for a while. The FarCry racism deal, the WatchDogs graphics deal, along with it;s mod witch is a PR Shitstorm. And then you have Unity as well.

Pretty much every thing they've done recently has drawn Ire. So, what do they do? Divert attention away from it.

"Well, it's not so bad now, they're considering removing their DRM."

They just said it doesn't work. We need to continue pressing the issues of Diversity in AAA as well as the lies on graphics. We need to show them that we're not stupid [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy-CBs0XNlM].
I honestly don't see why we can't think this is a good thing and simultaneously think they're full of shit for bullshots at wimmzinz and black peoples being two hard four dem.

Granted, talk and action are different, and I'll be waiting to see if they work on this, but I can be hopeful for that and still chastise them for doing other stupid things.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Can't source you on this, but I remember reading research a while ago that showed having a Demo for your game actually DECREASED overall sales, due to people trying the game, disliking it, and not buying it.
If that's true as a general trend (And I'd personally bet it is), what does that say about us as consumer?

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
No shit, Sherlock.

However, DRM is VERY effective against sales. I haven't bought a single Ubi title since they started requiring Uplay.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Who are you and what have you don't with Ubisoft's VP ? IN all seriousness this is a good move and its nice that somone from a major publisher is talking sense. Lets just hope they don't make everything an "MMO" so it always has to be connected to a server, but for now i will give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Good show ubisoft but don't rest on your laurels there are other things in your organisation that need sorting but this is a good step in the right direction.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
At least they're finally saying something that makes sense. I do wish they'd at least acknowledge the fact that they've acted in absolute opposition to this statement though. An apology wouldn't go amiss either. It's very frustrating to know that thousands of us gamers have been telling this to them for years and that when they finally acknowledge it, they make it sound like an original idea.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Stavros Dimou said:
Steven Bogos said:
Early stated that while Bethesda's recently released Wolfenstein: The New Order was reportedly pirated over 100,000 times, it was a mistake on Bethesda's part to say that these were all lost sales, because some number of people were always going to steal the game.
Some people download a pirated game because they are not sure if they will like it,and want to protect themselves from a bad investment.Not all of those who download pirate copies fully play the game they download,so not all pirate downloads are lost sales.
Thing is the market had its own ways of satisfying that consumer need,the "try before you buy".
There where sharewhere versions of games,and there were demos too.
Today people who want to try before they buy,download the whole games because there aren't short demo versions to try out.
The other problem is that people want to try the game. A demo is a controlled experiment that is basically the company's best foot forward. I don't trust them because they have burnt me before. I like PS+ for their full game trials in that respect.

As for Ubisoft... 2 steps forward 1 step back.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
when they get rid of UPlay i'll believe this man. Talk is Cheap! I want to see some action!

dynath

Aug 2, 2013
You know everyone is complaining about UPlay and hoping it goes away but if you actually read what Early said he went on about "SERVICES" of which UPlay is one. It's a garbage service created only to deliver Ubisoft's DRM with vestigial purchasing, achievement tracking, and communication sections. He isn't even hinting that UPlay will go away, he is blatantly saying achievements and multiplayer are becoming the new DRM. Expect every Ubi game to require constant online connectivity for realtime profile updates and multiplayer/online single player constant online modes.

This isn't a step forward guys.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Steam is not as much of a horrible DRM service than Uplay is.

I have my suspicions that the piss-poor optimisation of Watch_Dogs was largely due to that service. Steam (so far) has never caused direct performance issues, which would be the best alternative.

Ubisoft will not go DRM-free, because I severely doubt that any investor would agree to that. They are people who have zero understanding of gaming, and see it purely as business. If they are convinced that Uplay doesn't work, then the least they can do is switch to Steam without pissing of their financiers.
Agreed, steam isn't as bad when it comes to DRM and generally I'm happy with it, just saying that going by their statement they would need to drop DRM to follow through with what they have said.

As for investors, if they can show proof that they've made more profit without DRM than with it you can bet you ass they will follow through and you can bet that Ubisoft would have said evedence before such a statement.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Finally, they realized what other major publishers realized years ago.

I wish we could filmmakers on board, though. I hate having to sit through that stupid piracy warning on a disc I've already purchased.

trlkly

Jan 24, 2008
They've "come a long way" in realizing that not all pirated games count as lost sales. They've come a long way in realizing that offline DRM doesn't work. That doesn't mean they'd get rid of Uplay or DRM in general.

The most realistic thing they could do is make it seemlessly transparent. Get rid of Uplay as a launcher, and just have the features built into the games themselves. Have it be done in a standard way, with at most a small announcement when starting the game (like "Press tab to access Online features." I say "Online features" because the Uplay brand is so tarnished that they need to go away from it. You'd also have explicit multiplayer options in game that would just work, and perhaps even a built in chat window that you can pull up.

You'd still need an Ubisoft account, of course, but you can make that an easy part of the installer for offline copies, and just rely on Steam for online copies, allowing users to acquire and log in to their Ubisoft account when they try to use online features.

MXRom

Jan 10, 2013
Sounds a bit 'do as I say, not as I do' thing to appeal to gamers. Still not getting Uplay...