Ubisoft Ends Online Pass System

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
As I read this article Uplay is injecting a 30 minute update in-between me and my first play of Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

edit: make that 45 minutes now.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Congratulations, Ubisoft. You just removed the only obstacle that's keeping me from buying your new game.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I haven't played an Ubisoft game in years. Do they still enforce the 3 installs limit?

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
likalaruku said:
I haven't played an Ubisoft game in years. Do they still enforce the 3 installs limit?
I believe that they have given that up:

http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/9/5/3293318/ubisoft-to-scrap-drm-for-all-pc-games

OT:
It's nice to see the industry moving forward in this regard, rather than backwards. Well done Ubisoft.

Edit: Clarification because I write gud.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
However, games today are blurring the line between offline and online, between what is "single player" and what is "multiplayer." .
Or as the Ubisoft accountancy department put it "no one's buying our games because of this bullshit!"

Yes I bought AC: Black Flag brand new, but I bought Far Cry 3 second-hand and there was no way I was giving them money for a "passport".
It was a stupid system when EA brought it in, and fortunately they saw the light and dropped it earlier this year, finally Ubisoft cottoned on!

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
No Ubisoft, games are not blurring the lines between offline and online, singleplayer and multiplayer. It only seems to be the big publishers who are confused, the rest of us don't have a problem making a distinction.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Well, I'm glad to see that's out of the way. They better not come up with any invasive-ass DRM between now and the Watch Dogs release...

I'd admit though, that would have a ton of irony to it.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
bandit0802 said:
Finally! I can only imagine the backlash they got when they actually withheld single player components with an online pass. It really is shitty of them to say they were doing it for our benefit.
Yeah, Management Droid 2395 probably came up with the idea of restricting single player content and nobody imagined the backlash, then everybody freaked out when it came. I personally un-preordered the game for PS4 when I heard about it. It's a shame that they had to screw up like this because I kinda thought it was obvious...

Good for them to learn from their mistakes, even if it takes them a long time. Looking forward to this on launch day.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
what is this, Ubisoft acting in such a way that may make me buy a game of theirs first time in 4 years? am i in a dream or something?