Ubisoft: Far Cry 4 Is Packed to the Gills With Women

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
http://www.outsidexbox.com/articles/2014-06-30-far-cry-4-is-packed-to-the-gills-with-women-says-director

Saw this on Neogaf. Not trying to start another women in gaming debate, just thought this was lolz worthy.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Including women in the game is compensated for by comparing women to algae. "Teeming with females" makes it seem as if women are minnows. The logical thought is that certain developers are being dragged kicking and screaming into including women, and they won't go down without some choice words to show us just how they feel.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
There were plenty of women in Far Cry 3 as well. There was also some female mercenaries in Far Cry 2, I recall. Not really sure why this is so news worthy. If it's about the whole Assassins Creed thing, well there'll be plenty of women there too. It's not like Gothic 3 here, where the entire world is inhabited by sausage.

Edit: There's also Farrah in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, who is a pretty strong character. The company isn't as devoid in female characters as I see a lot of people seem to think.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
This is absolutely bizzare. Have we stagnated so much that
1) Having females is now a marketing ploy and should be exploited as such,
2) "LOOK, WE HAVE FEMALES" is assumed by developers to be a statement that should be made, rather than something that should be taken for granted and
3) Treating women as expendable commodities that *can* be included if, you know, we have the incentive, money and time, but eeehhh why bother even if we do.

This is totally absurd, I have no words.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
They got binders full of women too?
I really don't see why such comments are necessary, and it only starts making me wondering if a 50-50 split in the rebel ranks is...you now, realistic considering whatever the plot is supposed to be...but as I've not been following Farcry 4 I really don't know.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
Man, they are so afraid.

Way to miss the point COMPLETELY, Ubisoft.

People were irritated because they thought there'd be 'no women' in Assassin's Creed Unity; it's because you said that making playable women was 'too much work'.

This smacks of a house so desperate to do damage control that they're willing to treat any inclusion of femininity as a victory, when that wasn't even the issue in the first place.

It's like a little kid trying to win back your trust after getting in trouble by pointing out every 'good' thing he's doing. It's pathetic.

I don't need a game 'packed to the gills' with a particular gender, Ubisoft. Just give me some interesting characters who don't all look the same and we're golden. That's all you need to sell.

Bend over and pick up your self-respect, FFS.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh.

It's kind of telling that someone felt the need to say this.

"THIS GAME CONTAINS MEMBERS OF THE GROUP THAT COMPRISES 50% OF THE HUMAN SPECIES! INCREDIBLE!"

Not much opinion beyond that. Personally felt that the AC:U rage was a wee bit misdirected.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
BINDERS full of em.

someone beat me to it on Gamespot. Not missing my chance here.

Way to go Alex Hutchinson. (sarcasm) *Growl* Now back into your corner pitiful human!

*cracks whip*

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Yeah, that was pretty amusing. I cant help but picture that before this interview some Ubisoft PR guy drilled into the developer "Please, please don't say anything stupid about females in games, everyone currently thinks we're douchebags. Highlight the role of women in the game or something". Dev: "I can say even the men in the game want to be women?" PR: "Nononono! NO! Just stick to the 'don't say anything stupid' plan"

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
KingsGambit said:
Wow, talk about hard to please. This is how all of the posters above me sound.

Cry Babies: "Ubisoft, we want more women! There weren't enough in ArseCreed"
Ubisoft: "Okay, there's loads in Far Cry 4. Enjoy!"
Cry Babies: "No, that's not what we asked for! You didn't hear anything we moaned about. You just don't understand. I'm going to cry some more now. Wah wah wah".

I think the baby impression at the end was some of my finest literary work. Moan moan, rabble rabble. You asked for women, you are getting a plethora of them. A wide variety of women, myriad women, a *broad* selection (DYSWIDT?), a smorgasbord of women, a cavalcade, more women than you can shake a stick at, but now it's *more complaining*. Should they just take all the women out then, would that make all the whining stop? If every NPC in the game was a woman would that be enough? Is there a percentage, ratio or minimum amount of women that would please you and make you say "Well that's just fine then!"?

Or you could just say F**k Ubisoft and play a game that meets your exacting standards. Not all games have to conform and there are so many that do being fixated on Ubisoft seems more like a witch hunt than anything else. Bloody whining.
I wasn't saying any of that at all. In fact all I was doing was making a joke.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Haha, Ubisoft is so damn hilarious these days. They can't even say 'yes, there's lots of women in the game' without it sounding dodgy. Or that its actually necessary to ask them such a question now.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
If that isn't a box quote that will sell millions, I don't know what is.

Ubisoft marketing seal of approval.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
I think we all need to calm down. This is Ubisoft actually trying to address the issue of the lack of female characters. They are deserving of some credit, though BathorysGraveland2 pointed out, women were also in FarCry 3. I would say that all the women were annoying and poorly represented, but then again, that was true for everyone. There were only a few characters I actually liked on that whole island.

If anything, we should take this as proof that yes, they are indeed listening and yes, they are willing to accommodate our views. No more need to shout at them, let's actually talk.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
Right.... but they just couldn't get that fem hero in there cuz she'd off balance the game and make the disk break cuz too many womenz.

lnin0

Jul 1, 2014
"Girls Gone Wild" is teaming with females as well, but I don't think you would find its producer ever spouting off how liberating his movie is for women. That said, I think Ubisoft is getting piled on. Not that I agree with them, but do they deserve to be the lone scape goat for an industry that, as a whole, routinely depicts women in a stereotypical and degrading manner? It's like singling out one guy as a racist at a Klan rally.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Oh, 'm sure even AC:U has women! As NPCs! That the male protagonist gt to hit on, bangulate, kill, and generally screw around with! That's so not the point.

Here's the billion dollar question! How many of them are playable? None? Then Ubisoft can go fu-er- Flying off a pier as far as FC4 goes.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-11-far-cry-4-to-also-skip-playable-female-character-due-to-workload

NPCs are useless to me. As great as they are, they're ultimately useless in the grand scheme of the game. The industry won't move forward because of female NPCs. It's had female NPCs since recognizable characters could be put on screen. Has it helped? Well, there's the whole debate about female representation that's been going on for years, so no, it hasn't.
I wanna play as someone with a vajayjay, and bub bubz, not see an NPC I wish I could play as, at best.

captcha: they are watching
... ...

<.<

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like to think they're doing it now just to highlight how absolutely knee jerk the gaming community is about everything.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Ok now they're doing it on purpose right?
They've made three minorly controversial comments related to three different upcoming games in a relatively short space of time and one of them was a repeat of the same comment that got tomb raider in trouble. So then, is it a ploy to get people talking about Ubisoft games or a ploy to make people think it's all been a ploy from the start and therefore stop talking about how Ubisoft has a problem with women?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I'd be lying if i said surprised. Oh gaming community look at the monster you have created.

Don't mind me, i'm going back to playing games.