Ubisoft Fires Assassin's Creed Creator

Senare

Aug 6, 2010
Huh. Maybe this helps to explain why I feel that AC1 and AC2 are better games than the rest in the series.
*brews up some crackpot theory*

Celi

Jun 23, 2012
I really don't get it--if Ubi fired him for stupid selfish business reasons, it seems like they would make it look like he had done something wrong, not that he left of his own accord. They would have had to have known that if they fired someone and told everybody he left, he would tell people what really happened.

It could be a wounded gazelle gambit. Maybe Desilets does something he wasn't supposed to, gets fired, and works out a deal such that it will look like he quit, to make it easier to get a new job. Then after the fact, he tells everybody that Ubi did it for no good reason and without warning.

Of course, I don't know anything about this sort of thing at all, so ignore me if i'm not making sense. Plus we barely have any information at all, at this point.

ajr209

May 6, 2013
teh_Canape said:
CharrHearted said:
to ubisoft:

Pretty much my reaction to them right now... What could they gain from this? Nothing but hate, I say.

What are your views, guys and gals?
given that the guy technically implanted them with a money-shitting intestine
he basically would have to do something real fierce to them for ubi to fire him
Not necessarily. The game industry is an environment where people are easily and quickly replaced. No matter how tallented or experienced someone is there is always plenty of fresh out of college kids willing to do just about anything to work in the industry. As a result there are plenty of game companies out there, ubisoft included I'm sure, that don't hesitate to fire someone for any reason that just happens to pop into their heads at the moment or take a "what have you done for me lately?" mentality.

From the wording of Desilets' comments I'm guessing ubisoft either wanted to pick apart his project to use elements of it in AC or wanted to scrap it all together, having only bought it so other publishers couldn't work with it, and he fought them on it. since he was probably already on the outs with them from having left previously ubisoft wasn't inclined to let it slide. Just my theory.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
So you get rid of the man who created one of your most profitable series, milk his dream and his vision and fuck him over. Looks like Jaffe isn't the only one who got fucked over.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Ubisoft then announced that they would add always connected requirements to 1666 due to user demand, and that sub-yearly installments 1667, 1668, 1668: Renaissance Harder, 1669, and 1670 were now in production.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
He used a PC. Obviously he is a thief and his contract had to be terminated.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Akratus said:
Well they fired him after making them a new franchise, only to grind all the interesting aspects of that franchise into the ground immediately after, so this does not surprise me in the least.
True or not, that's kind of the way I'd like to see this. That franchise you helped create? It's our cash cow now, so we'll be doing annual releases from now on.

So, when did they start work on Assassins Creed 5? If the current pattern is still being followed, I'm guessing halfway through 2012 or thenabouts.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well it looks like a simple case of disagreement between him and Ubisoft. And if he is going to kick up a fuss whenever Ubisoft tries to force their own input into their own intellectual property then Ubisoft obviously don't want the trouble of having him around.

I bet if he had kept his mouth shut and did everything his employers told him to then he would still have a job.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Dammit Ubisoft, you were winning me back with Far Cry 3....why did you have to sabatoge our relationship?

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
Well it looks like a simple case of disagreement between him and Ubisoft. And if he is going to kick up a fuss whenever Ubisoft tries to force their own input into their own intellectual property then Ubisoft obviously don't want the trouble of having him around.

I bet if he had kept his mouth shut and did everything his employers told him to then he would still have a job.
If everyone shut up and did as they were told nothing would change. Ever

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
McFazzer said:
CardinalPiggles said:

If everyone shut up and did as they were told nothing would change. Ever
I'm not saying he should never try to disagree with anyone, I do plenty of that with my boss. The point I'm trying to make is that he still needs to respect (or at least pretend to respect) his employers.

My former colleges would constantly whine and moan and argue and my manager gets sick of it after a while and fires them.