Ubisoft Investing In Next Console Gen

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Lios said:
This current console gen has really only just came out, and Ubisoft is already focusing on the next one? Really, there's no point in that, and there's no confirmation there will even BE a next gen console series.
Firstly, I hardly think the new generation has just begun. It's been three and a half years since XBox 360 was first launched. Considering that (allowing overlap) gaming generations have previosuly lasted around 4-6 years (Fifth generation- Saturn 1994. Sixth Generation- Dreamcast-1999) you can probably expect another two years tops before we see new consoles. Whether this means, for example, that PS3 will attempt to hold out against Xbox 3 or Wiiii or not is irrelevant.

And besides, you can hardly say Ubisoft have been twiddling their thumbs. They have 37 games either released or under development for 360. SOme of them have been pretty damn good too.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
goatzilla8463 said:
I think we've gotten to the point where the consoles aren't really going to get any better graphics-wise. Ubisoft should spend their time working on making their new games better for existing consoles.
People said that about the SNES.

goatzilla8463

Dec 11, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
goatzilla8463 said:
i doubt the graphics will improve to any degree which the human eye can actually tell the difference.
The visual realism of games can be improved drastically by better animations. And you will be able to see graphical improvement unless you have poor eyesight, it will just be slight.

But graphics aren't the only thing more processing power can improve; where games will really be getting better is in things like physics models, number of independent NPC's, AI, and after-effects (glare, depth of field, motion blur and such).
i agree with you when you say about the NPCs and AIs but the physics engines are alright and i can't really think of a game on the PS3 and the Xbox where the graphics could be improved and would make the game any better. as i've said before, they should concentrate on making the storylines and the characters have more depth.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Wouldn't it make more sense for them to concentrate on this generation of consoles?

xLANKYx

Aug 1, 2008
goatzilla8463 said:
dochmbi said:
goatzilla8463 said:
I think we've gotten to the point where the consoles aren't really going to get any better graphics-wise. Ubisoft should spend their time working on making their new games better for existing consoles.
Are you crazy? Of course there will be a new generation and it will have 16x the processing power of the previous generation. (6 years, power doubles every 1.5 years = 16x).

The graphics will improve significantly.
i doubt the graphics will improve to any degree which the human eye can actually tell the difference.
graphics can improve past what the human eye can actually tell even on the current gen & since technology hasnt reached its peek yet, the graphics on the next gen will easily beat current gen. the problem isnt technology but the cost of such improvements, its how much its going to cost to improve on the current gen graphics thats makes the differance. if costs can be kept low or atleast affordable then well see big steps in graphics in the next gen.

its like this "ps3 will last 10 years", technology advancement has allready left the PS3 behind now wether sony want to stick with the PS3 or bring out a PS4 will have everything to do with money & nothing to do with "the power of the PS3".

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Its not all about graphics people! The number of reviews i still read time and time again where one of the primary complaints is still "the AI sucks" is ridiculous! New generations of consoles will be able to provide much superior AI and physics which are not possible on the current range of consoles, as well as full HD graphics which we are not able to experience properly on neither the PS3 or 360...

Have a little think, none of these games I have listed here have full 1080p:

GTA4, COD4, Halo 3, Killzone, Gears of War... (Those are the only ones i can think off the top of my head :p)

There are improvements that can be made on all fronts! Regardless of what developers are telling you the consoles are reaching their limits to a certain extent; they were overtaken by PCs a long time ago and graphically they can be improved on significantly!