Ubisoft Launches a Movie Studio

May 5, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Wow guys, really? So this is your logic:

"Hey, videogame movies suck because people that make movies for a living don't 'get' videogames, so if people that MAKE games ALSO made the movies based on them, then they'd be good!"

There's a pretty fatal flaw here, and it's that PEOPLE WHO MAKE GAMES DON'T 'GET' MOVIES. Or rather: They don't know how to make movies. I mean, what if someone like Roger Ebert tried to make a game? It'd be horrible, right?

There ya go.
Except y'know. Cutscenes exist and there are some pretty kickass ones out there.

L2logic.
A cutscene is completely different from a full length film, though. Cutscenes are just meant to fill the void between bits of gameplay. Not exactly on the same scale as a 2 hour film.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Luc Besson made some good movie cred:

Directed Fifth Element, The Professional

And he produced what is arguably the best western action movie of the 2000 decade, B-13 (if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor).

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
eh, im on the fence for this. if it works, it could very well start having good games turn into good movies (sort of like comics) but it could also turn out bad movies...which are fun to laugh at

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
Wow. Did he just compliment the Prince of Persia film?

Excuse me while I go on a mini-rant here, but it was ultimately pathetic. The only good bits where with the parkour, because then I could squint and pretend I was watching Assassin's Creed.

...apart from that, if they're as good at making movies as games, then I'm happy about this.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
Can I just say that I like this a lot. Hopefully will be successful I am rooting for these guys.
I guess they also are tired that movie studios are destroying their IPs.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
And halfway through the movie the cinema will loose internet connection and the movie will stop.

Blazeaga

Dec 10, 2010
Ok...I shall be optimistic and hope this works out well but for the love of god MAKE MOVIE BOB SOMEWHERE HIGH UP!!

eg: A councler or supervisor or something :D! he has best of both worlds ^^!

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Looking forward to an Assassins Creed movie property...I need another mindbending, trippy Inceptionesque film in my life and the religious establishment is getting lazy without another movie like the Da Vinci Code to rile them up.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Krion_Vark said:
FogHornG36 said:
wonder if the movies are going to have DRM?
Sure you have just made my day.

Perhaps the movies will freeze or have you have to scan your ticket into the barcode reader they will have installed into the cupholders so that no one can use it without paying.
Don't you mean, Sir?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
well heres hoping they treat the franchises they make movies of with some reverence. Its their game, they should know what is and isn't important from the game that needs to be translated into film right? ...right? <.<

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
Yay. This is just what we need for 'game films'. I'm glad the people who are going to be making the films will have a much closer relationship with the original game than usual, and hopefully have a lot more respect for the ip's.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Am I the only one hoping for CGI movies out of this rather than live action? The first thing I thought was "Rayman movie? Fuck yeah!" But then I guess most people don't realise there was a time when Rayman was about the Glade of Dreams and not about stupid f-ing Rabbids and shitty minigames. Seriously, the Glade of Dreams would look so freakin' amazing on the big screen. Oh who am I kidding, they'll obviously go for mass appeal and I gave up on Assassin's Creed after brotherhood. We're never going to see an end to that story now that it's been franshised.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
If this means that they could make anything like Assassin's Creed Lineage then this could be a great idea.