Ubisoft listened! Well... Kind of. (Skull and Bones gameplay)

Feb 26, 2014
Hey, remember how Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag came out and everyone was like, "The assassin parts sort of suck, but the pirate parts are great. Make this it's own game, Ubisoft!"? Well, it took a while, but Ubisoft finally announced just that!
Unfortunately, the game is multiplayer focused. Ubisoft intends to "constantly update and refresh with new content as it does for its other "live service" games like The Division and Rainbow Six Siege."[footnote]Source: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-ubisoft-announces-skull-and-bones-a-multip/1100-6450788/#comments-block-33394654[/footnote] That's basically a deal breaker for me. I was really looking forward to a game that combines Black Flag's Pirates with Syndicate's territory expansion. Oh well.

So, do you guys like what you see?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
damn it not all of us are people persons!

its totally lost my interest when they said multiplayer

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
pookie101 said:

Same.
I'm really hoping it's not PvP focussed but how they introduced it with PvP gameplay that makes me worry. I was almost hyped for a fucking modern Ubisoft game of all things.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Meh, the ship bits of Assassin's Creed 4 were already made into it's own game and it's called Rebel Galaxy =P
Considering it's multiplayer focused I imagine it won't last very long. I see people being attracted to the novelty of it but then losing interest in a few months. But who knows? Maybe there's a lot more to it. They didn't exactly show much of anything and they didn't really say much of anything either.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Oooh, sounds nice (Even though I've never played any AssCreed game)!
Remembers Corsairs, Sid Meier's Pirates..

And there it is, multiplayer only...Sigh.
WHY does almost every new game released today have to include a deal breaker?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hmm, but I really liked being able to manually swing across to the other ship and manually stab up every dissident on there while capturing the rest for my own pirate army. Oh...

Unfortunately...
No...

the game is...
Nooononono, don't say it!

multiplayer focused.
NOOOOOOooooooooooo[small]oooooooooooooo!!! Why, ubisoft, whyyyy??[/small]

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Hmm, but I really liked being able to manually swing across to the other ship and manually stab up every dissident on there while capturing the rest for my own pirate army. Oh...

Unfortunately...
No...

the game is...
Nooononono, don't say it!

multiplayer focused.
Its kind of amazing how they managed to build hype then absolutly demolish it immediatly afterwards for both of their big reveals.

Feb 26, 2014
Ubisoft made it pretty clear a while ago that they'd be focusing more on Multiplayer content, because that's where the $$$ is. They say it's more engaging for the player and more lucrative (Microtransactions and DLC) for them. They even put microtransactions in Syndicate, a game with no multiplayer. This seems to be the path Ubisoft is most interested in, and so I've lost what little interest I've had with the company. I guess it's time to let Assassin's Creed go.

Xsjadoblayde said:

Jan 19, 2016
pookie101 said:

Lol, my thoughts exactly. I was like "Awesome, we need a good current gen pirate game! Oh, multiplayer. Sod that."

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Actually, I don't know what people are whining about right now. If they want a single-player pirate game, why don't they just play Black Flag?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Arnoxthe1 said:
Actually, I don't know what people are whining about right now. If they want a single-player pirate game, why don't they just play Black Flag?
because its got all this boring assassin and modern world crap mostly :D

not to mention kenway is a giant, obnoxious twat

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Plus the naval combat in that game is actually pretty shallow, you just need to Kenway broadside everything and you will win even in an base ship.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I'm seeing all these pirate games being announced and all I can think is they're not as good as the old Garrysmod Pirate Wars I will be disappointed.

Need my ship ramming!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
pookie101 said:
But...you can play it in singleplayer. They were pretty adament about that with all of their games.
undeadsuitor said:
what....what is so appealing about that idea?
You're questioning the appeal of pretending to be a pirate crew with your friends? One of the oldest power fantasies in media there is? If it's not your thing, sure, but c'mon...

Oct 22, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
Because they want more of it? Plus we already have couple of teamwork based, multiplayer oriented, pirate themed games in the line-up.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
The game will have a strong PvE component, and you will be able to play it by yourself.

It's not the same as Black Wake or Sea of Thieves because you control your own ship, meaning you don't have to constantly have a team of people at your back to play at all.

There is really no reason to write this game off completely just because it's got a multiplayer component. There is strong advocacy for making it solo friendly in the community, and they are listening.