Ubisoft listened! Well... Kind of. (Skull and Bones gameplay)

Feb 26, 2014
Captain Marvelous said:
Hey, remember how Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag came out and everyone was like, "The assassin parts sort of suck, but the pirate parts are great. Make this it's own game, Ubisoft!"? Well, it took a while, but Ubisoft finally announced just that!
Had me

Captain Marvelous said:
Unfortunately, the game is multiplayer focused. Ubisoft intends to "constantly (blah blah blah".)

Lost me. Although, if it's at least fully playable offline similar to Wildlands then I'm at least on the fence yet.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
There is a discord set up for the game where you can chat with some of the devs and community people.

https://discord.gg/3nv9aUK

All these polemics about multiplayer being a deal breaker are silly, the advocacy for making it fully enjoyable for solo players is there, and you shouldn't simply write it off just because other people can play in the same world.

Jan 19, 2016
Aetrion said:
There is a discord set up for the game where you can chat with some of the devs and community people.

All these polemics about multiplayer being a deal breaker are silly, the advocacy for making it fully enjoyable for solo players is there, and you shouldn't simply write it off just because other people can play in the same world.
Have you ever interacted with any of the people who play online games? They make the crowd at Mos Eisley's Cantina look like a bunch of Girl Scouts. People who hate online multiplayer don't hate it without cause.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
I play plenty of online games, and I play plenty of single player games. I don't usually have a problem with people on them. I mean you run into the occasional idiot, but if you have a problem with absolutely everyone the problem is most likely you.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Aetrion said:

I would rather a well thought out single player than a tacked on one that's just training for multiplayer, which is what it will be.

I want to go digging for treasure and actually take part in boarding other ships and setting up a cool deserted island hideout, not just play World Of Tanks With Boats.

Feb 26, 2014
Aetrion said:

Why not? I don't like multiplayer. That should be reason enough to write off a multiplayer focused game. And, despite the possibility of solo play, the game is still multiplayer focused which means a lot of the content will require interaction with another player if I want to beat it, which I don't want. And playing a multiplayer game solo isn't fun for me. So, yeah, multiplayer focus is a deal breaker.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
"A game that's nothing but the ship bits of AssCreed4"
Nani?!
"...It's multiplayer focused"

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Does anyone know if it will be purely multiplayer focused or will it be limited?

Like everyone here I was quite disappointment when I found out it was going to be multiplayer based.

The thought of creating my own captain and getting my own crew together is a intriguing concept though so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Aetrion said:

Why shouldn't we? Some of us simply don't want other people in our world, period. This current fetish for making everything multiplayer needs to go die in a fire.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
infohippie said:
Why shouldn't we? Some of us simply don't want other people in our world, period. This current fetish for making everything multiplayer needs to go die in a fire.
And some of us enjoy playing with others and are sick of getting blasted with this entitled outrage from people who think the games we like shouldn't be made for some reason.

Try Rebel Galaxy, Blood and Gold, Man o' War Corsair, or Sea Dogs. There ARE single player ship games out there, they are just developed on a smaller budget because that's the revenue they can expect back without an online component.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Aetrion said:
infohippie said:
And some of us enjoy playing with others and are sick of getting blasted with this entitled outrage from people who think the games we like shouldn't be made for some reason.

Try Rebel Galaxy, Blood and Gold, Man o' War Corsair, or Sea Dogs. There ARE single player ship games out there, they are just developed on a smaller budget because that's the revenue they can expect back without an online component.

But the part of your game comes at the expense of ours, whereas yours doesn't suffer for the inclusion of ours.

Often, multiplayer is the combat part of a single player game but with humans and racial slurs added. You lose nothing by having a good single player campaign. We lose a good single player campaign.

Feb 26, 2014
Aetrion said:
infohippie said:
Blasted with what entitled outrage? Every post has been "Damn, now I don't want it", not "This game must change to suite my tastes!" You're looking forward to this game? You actually like the multiplayer focus? Great! Enjoy it! I hope you have a blast with it! But I wont. A lot of the posters on this thread wont. That's all that's been said. We're just disappointed, not outraged. No one wants to take your games away from you, alright?

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
But the part of your game comes at the expense of ours, whereas yours doesn't suffer for the inclusion of ours.
I simply don't agree here. The game has a story and a strong PvE element to it that you can play by yourself, but it relies on other players to do things like populate the markets act as your companions in large scale fights, or act as evenly matched enemies in certain game modes. That doesn't seamlessly translate to an offline experience, so development resources would have to be diverted to make it happen.

Have you bought Rebel Galaxy, Blood and Gold, Man o' War Corsair, and the Sea Dogs games? If these games were runaway successful and people were screaming for more, sure, it'd be worth it trying to make a AAA version of them, but reality is, most people don't even know they exist because they didn't sell that well.