Ubisoft: New Consoles Help Creativity

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
Sis said:
Lolno. It's the developers that are holding back game development. They're too chickenshit to release new projects this generation when they can get the excuse that "OH BUT WE'RE JUST TRYING OUT THE NEW TECH".
The Last of Us and Watch Dogs are proof that this generation is far from tapped out.
Chapman said:
Im assuming that by "the cutting edge" you mean having better graphics, cause frankly that is pretty much the only thing a new console will ever allow for is better graphics; besides what Nintendo can seem to pull out of their arse I suppose. I could make a brand new game for the NES and it could possibly be a cutting edge game, the term is very subjective.

As for needing better graphics and needing a new console to help stimulate "creativity" go, I think both those argument are full of themselves. Better graphics will never make a good game and some of the best games I can think of never had amazing graphics such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Minecraft, Braid, and most other successful indie games.

Ubisoft the only reason "creativity" helped by a new console is because it makes it very profitable because will its probably one of the only games out for the bloody system so most customers feel forced to buy it. A truly great game will sell no matter when its released in a consoles lifetimes, however, I think most game companies are too lazy to even try any more.
Battlefield 3 can only have 24 players on the console, compared to the 64 on PC. This is due to hardware limitations. This is probably the best example, because it has happened. Other devs aren't expanding things such as AI, player limits etc because they know they can't for the console, which is the primary platforms they make games for.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Isn't there any practical way one could make an upgradable console system? ... I mean, not PC-style where they will release new stuff every 3 days and you are free to stick one of a million pieces into every slot, but an upgrade system controlled by the developers where when the hardware is getting to this point where it could use an upgrade, a cheaper, relatively simple upgrade kit is presented to the customers, and the option to install it themselves or send it for a service (idk much about the logisitcs part of that)...

I dont exactly know what I'm talking about here, but I'm sure someone that does could make a system like this work. Of course you'd still have to be able to run your old games on the old system, but upgrading would allow you to play both old and new! ... ... It always pissed me off how PS2 games couldn't be played on the PS3, especially when they never brought out good alternatives to my favorite games!

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
New hardware spurs creativity? So I guess the creativity this generation has been higher than ever? AAA studios are pushing boundaries more than they ever have?

Yup. Sure. Sorry, but tech doesn't make up for a lack of creativity or unwillingness to take risks.

Marker

Feb 17, 2011
Dishonred, The Last of Us and Watch dogs (An Ubisoft game) are all examples of What?

What are; new IP's not released at the beginning of a console cycle.
or
What are; games I'll be buying before I touch another Asscreed game at full price.

Death_Warden

May 19, 2009
No just no. Newer consoles do NOT ONLY bring better graphics, but a host of new features. Sure, graphics might be at the top of the list, but what people always fail to realize is that more processing power / better GPU means that developers have more room to work with. Instead of only 10 people in a town, they can now have around 50 people in a town. They can program the AI to become "smarter", imagine Skyrim with an even bigger world, etc. Do you get the point I'm making? Current consoles are indeed holding back game development, and it's about time MS / Sony started detailing their future plans regarding their consoles.
You do have a point however I must ask would that make the game any better? I think not, having to characterize more NPC's is a hell of a lot more work and for the most part ends up ruining the immersion of the entire game. I will argue that games like Diablo 1, Monkey Island, and Silent Hill 2 were much better games because of the limited number of NPC's. It just brings an entire level of immersion that I don't think will ever happen if the industry keeps trying to make games seem more vast and extravagant.

Battlefield 3 can only have 24 players on the console, compared to the 64 on PC. This is due to hardware limitations. This is probably the best example, because it has happened. Other devs aren't expanding things such as AI, player limits etc because they know they can't for the console, which is the primary platforms they make games for.
Ummmmm im not sure that on its own would improve the game at all, having 24 players in one game is a bloody mess on its own let alone having 64 players spraying bullets all over the place.

Lolno. It's the developers that are holding back game development. They're too chickenshit to release new projects this generation when they can get the excuse that "OH BUT WE'RE JUST TRYING OUT THE NEW TECH".
The Last of Us and Watch Dogs are proof that this generation is far from tapped out.
Absolutely agree, a new console just gives them an excuse to make a new IP because they know that it will be profitable whether its good or not. Its not because they really want to, they just want to make 100% sure it sells well. Which leads me back to my statement that New consoles don't encourage creativity, It just makes creativity profitable. Which would happen if the game was good and worth $60 anyway.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Sooooo let me get this straight. Ubisoft is blaming hardware manufacturer's for their own lack of creativity? ... A face palm doesn't even come close to covering this level of absolute stupidity. Hell even captcha knows your standing under a "glass ceiling" with this idea Yves Guillemot.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
An original IP
About Zombies.
INNOVATION!

UnderCoverGuest said:
"New consoles Help Creativity."

...really?

I wonder why...could it be the improved hardware removing restrictions and limitations in place due to old technology preventing the expansion and development of new ideas? The fact that old hardware establishes boundaries that prevent implementing creative solutions for technological advancements?

You know what else helps creativity? A PC. I'm a creative guy, and I make and use modifications that completely transform some of the games I play--and I don't own, work for, or am generally associated with a million dollar software development company. And I'm not gonna continue, cause I'm enjoying other things at the moment.
Well the thing is you still need games TO modify. And it's not so much outdated hardware that prevents creativity, as it is Microsoft and Sony banning Mods.
They only banned mods because most of them were being made at a higher quality level than the origional game. It was in essense making them look bad, and generally stupid in alot of cases. If you want to blame anyone for the lack of creativity and risk in the game industry, you can blame accountants. Penny pinchers shoving deadlines into areas of total impracticality. Second in line is the decision makers (CEOs and CFOs) who are uneducated enough to listen to them.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
He's right because...well, technology can bring out new possibilities and Watch Dogs shows that.

He's wrong because he's the wrong person to state that when his company hasn't given us more Watch Dogs within this generation (not to mention technology doesn't prevent someone from thinking up of new ways to play a game).