Ubisoft on 900p: "Ubisoft Does Not Constrain Its Games"

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Strazdas said:
You laughable "Facts" Severely lacking citation.
Enlighten me as to how SSAO or DoF have ever made for a better game on any level other than the visual one.

why else would you try to belittle everyone that thinks graphics are important then?
Because they are silly, their goals are directly opposite mine, and I like to shout contrary things into predictable echo chambers?

.heres the thing: why not both?.
Because:
a. time, money, and team members are all limited resources and they are going to be spent on what devs think people will notice and care about, which, currently is graphics.
b. Processing power is limited. Games cant be built on the expectation that everyone is going to have TotalBiscut's dual titan monstrosity, and the more power you are using on shiny crap, the less is left over for the things I want to see done.

Your "1200 dollar gaming set up" is more than capable of doing both.
Better rigs than mine struggle to hold consistent framerates with new tech like TressFX or whatever that one option in TW2 was called, and you think publishers can do that and have hundreds of NPCs interacting at once and still have a reasonable power expectation? I doubt it.
I also get the feeling you don't believe that I have a gaming PC, which is amusing.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
major_chaos said:
Enlighten me as to how SSAO or DoF have ever made for a better game on any level other than the visual one.
You were the one making a claim it doesnt matter, shouldnt you be the one providing evidence?
ANyway, DoF is crap and is right there with motion blur in "things to turn off after installing new game".

SSAO however is useful on gameplay level. for example in a game with open enviroment it can be used to hide in dinamic shadows or spot other players from their shadow to the point of knowing which side they are looking at. it also helps a lot with gametime in games where time progression exists.

Because they are silly, their goals are directly opposite mine, and I like to shout contrary things into predictable echo chambers?
so you intentionally come here to get people angry by shouting contrary things just because they like different things? thats pretty mean of you.

Because:
a. time, money, and team members are all limited resources and they are going to be spent on what devs think people will notice and care about, which, currently is graphics.
b. Processing power is limited. Games cant be built on the expectation that everyone is going to have TotalBiscut's dual titan monstrosity, and the more power you are using on shiny crap, the less is left over for the things I want to see done.
A) in part yes. however new engines, for example UE4 have most of graphical things mapped to automatic. you create models, textures and the engine handles the rest. you do know that a person who makes textures isnt the same person who codes AI, right? their jobs are not interchangable, game devs are not some omnipotent beings.
B) processing power is limited, on consoles. PC processing power is increasing almost exponentially. it has easily surpassed the point where we can have both already at decent levels. and its going to be even higher as time goes on.

You know i want all the things you listed, reactive enviroments, persistent particles, good AI, but i realize that thats not all videogames are. And i realize we CAN do both.

TressFX is crap, no denying that, and TW2 was a disaster in how it was coded (it wasnt graphically intensive, it was just leaking all over so much it crashed on itself). few bad apples does not mean every apple is spoiled though. for example Metro games were made on what is consdered a very small budget nowadays, is one of the most graphically impressive games out and yet manages to have engaging story and AI (which reviewers praised it for).

Hachind hundreds of NPCs is easy. Seriuos Sam did it in 2001. Having hundreds of NPCs that are SMART is hard. so far no game managed that. AC:Unity claims it will, but im not willing to believe it before i see it. thing is, AI needs a lot of memory (RAM), but little processing time. the resources it uses are very different than those graphics use and in fact resources AI would use for vast majority of people stand half-idle while gaming. Gaming became so GPU heavy that most peoples CPUs go up to half load when gaming, and AI is very much a CPU beast.

Oh, i believe you have a gaming PC, i just think you underestimate it.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I thought today's Jimquisition felt disjointed for the lack of a better word.

It started to talk about frame rates. Of which, I personally cannot really tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Like a magic eye puzzle, it's not something to get really mad over. By the way Jim presents it, you'd think it were the greatest miscarriage of justice the world has known.

Then it starts going on about Ubisoft sounding pretentious and/or condescending. OK, I can get aboard that particular train. Hold the phones! Isn't that that what Jim himself does in every Jimquisition?

Then mentions going on about how it doesn't matter about how good the visuals are - but so long as they come at you at 60 FPS. OK, that's your opinion. But personally, I prefer a game with fabulous visuals so long as it isn't a laggy and unplayable mess.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Strazdas said:
smithy_2045 said:
Strazdas said:
major_chaos said:
I don't understand why this is an issue, why did they even need to make a statement about this. I guess its because I gamed for years on a shitty hand-me-down Compaq that was never meant for gaming so 30FPS/900p seems wonderful compared to my childhood of 15FPS/240p. Or just that I don't give a shit about graphics or framerates as long as they hit a stable 30. But it seems a very large part of the site is either upper middle class PCMR or part of the graphics and FPS obsessed crowd I refer to as "the Biscuit Mafia".
Just because you are indifferent of framerate and resolution benefits does not make them somehow unimportant. however your insults makes me think your just jealous rather than indifferent, otherwise why go to such lengths as to invent insults against groups you disagree with?
I've never refused to play a game because it didn't have enough pixels. I've never decided to not buy a game because it didn't run at enough fps. As long as it runs at a constant frame rate and you can see what's going on, neither of those things matter all that much.
Once again just because you chose to be indifferent does not make the benefits dissapear. jesus, do you even read what you quote?
What benefits? It doesn't make the game any more fun to play if it runs at 60fps vs 30fps, or 900p vs 1080p. It's mostly just a dickwaving contest, one which consistently takes valuable time and effort away from actually making an enjoyable game to play.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Gunner 51 said:
Then mentions going on about how it doesn't matter about how good the visuals are - but so long as they come at you at 60 FPS. OK, that's your opinion. But personally, I prefer a game with fabulous visuals so long as it isn't a laggy and unplayable mess.
i find this argument strange. you want a game that isnt a laggy mess and then argue for the gamer being a laggy mess.

smithy_2045 said:
What benefits? It doesn't make the game any more fun to play if it runs at 60fps vs 30fps, or 900p vs 1080p. It's mostly just a dickwaving contest, one which consistently takes valuable time and effort away from actually making an enjoyable game to play.
Would you say having a motor skills disease and needing glasses compared to a heathy person give the healthy person benefits? because thats what this is. higher framerate allows you to control the character better and sell the gameplay better, while higher resolution means you can actually see the stuff your playing that does not look like you smeared vaseline all over your screen.

If we were talking about trying to make 4k on consoles id agree its unnecessary. basic 60fps and 1080p is a necessity though.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Strazdas said:
Gunner 51 said:
i find this argument strange. you want a game that isnt a laggy mess and then argue for the gamer being a laggy mess.
30 frames per second isn't what I'd describe to be laggy. That's quite smooth IMO. I come from the generation where Codename: Droid was the bee's knees and we were lucky to get one frame per second and it was still a lot of fun. (Oh man, I'm turning into my grandfather.)