Ubisoft on Yearly Assassin's Creed: We'd Be Stupid Not to Satisfy This Need

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Falterfire said:
I don't think one Assassin's Creed game a year will result in the same insane crash, especially since playing an AC game doesn't require you to keep a bulky and expensive peripheral around.
If you count handheld titles, Assassin's Creed has released ten games since the first one in 2007. If you count iOS/browser games as well (I know, I know, but that's why I'm specifying) then it's fourteen.

Yeah, sure, they're not all released as full-price games or big-budget DLC, but the franchise has also spread out into graphic novels and books, and they're pushing into the film industry as well. And if the rumors are true then they intend on releasing two completely different AC games this fall, one on the PS4/Xbox One and one on the PS3/Xbox 360, both with separate narratives and characters and locations.

Ubisoft is most definitely pushing to oversaturate the market with Assassin's Creed, and they're only going to burst their bubble faster if they keep rocketing down their current path.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Sales wise, I suppose I can't blame them. I mean, if they're still selling enough regularly then I can totally see the value in pumping (at least) one out every year.

Game quality wise, however? Yeah, they really need to take a break. At least give the game a couple of years in development to allow for some real change and advancement to make it into the series. While they may be able to technically release at least one AC game per year, that doesn't allow them nearly enough time to really do anything new or interesting with the series. There is, of course, also the benefit of actually allowing players to miss the game a little such that when it does come back there is more of a real desire for it as opposed to just a compulsion to buy because "hey, I've bought every other one so far."

Adfest

Feb 23, 2009
I was under the assumption ACIII was what we all hoped would be the dying breath of what was turning into a very stale IP. Black Flag was unveiled (unfurled?) and the natural and acceptable reaction of "oh... pirates! I will allow it..." was to be expected. I loved Black Flag for the piracy. The parts that pulled me out of terrorizing the Caribbean, forcing me to play the AC formula in order to progress, were boring and frustrating when repeated (I lost count of how many times I had to follow some turds to eavesdrop.
Another rushed AC so soon is going to be a case of "same shit. same shovel." and a flop. It's not that I hope something like that will happen. Hell... I hope it turns out to be the best game ever! But it's not gonna be.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
Yearly Assassin's Creed games do keep me sated.
If they keep up the quality as they have so far, then by all means keep em coming.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Houseman said:
I don't ever remember taking a survey asking me if I want a new Assassin's Creed game every year, so I don't know where he's getting this knowledge from.
King Whurdler said:
As I, and many others, have said to almost every single other person on these forums: 'cite your fucking sources.'

Where exactly is your proof backing this claim up Mr.Raynaud?
You can be 99% certain that they're going of sales data: as long as they continue to sell 10 million plus copies every year, they'll continue to take that as justification for putting out another one every year.

Falterfire said:
shrekfan246 said:
Hey, Ubisoft? Do you remember what happened to the Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero franchises?
I don't know a ton about Tony Hawk, but Guitar Hero died because they massively oversaturated far beyond one a year. You had World Tour, 5, Aerosmith, Metallica, Van Halen, Smash Hits, and Band Hero all in a two year period (08-09) plus Rock Band releasing a game or two in the same period.
Exactly what I was thinking. Guitar Hero had all sorts of problems - market saturation was actually just one of them. There seemed like there was a new one... what, every two or three months for a while there. They also didn't offer great value for money, as they were often charging full price for what was effectively just the same game with slightly different songs. There's the peripheral expense too, given that they expected you to shell out for completely new controllers just to play the games.

And then there was the competition, from Rock Band as well as a bunch of other stuff (DJ Hero, the karaoke games, etc).

AssCreed isn't oversaturated to quite that extent. It also has an ongoing plot (as preposterous as it is) that keeps people invested as well, something which none of the Tony Hawk or rhythm games had. And try as I might, I can't think of a lot of stuff that gives you quite the same experience... so it doesn't really have that much competition.

I hate to say it, but I agree with the guy: as long as people keep buying the games in these numbers, they'd be stupid not to put one out every year. I won't be buying them all, but someone obviously is...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
as much i enjoy the series, i dont want it every year. rather spend some time making something new.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, congratulations, you have identified that people will buy a yearly Assassin's Creed. You have also alienated some fans of the earlier games like myself and will not be seeing my money because we prefer better gameplay, more freedom and interesting, diverse environments to a handful of guided history tours in colonial settings. Admittedly, the quality of the games could have more to do with gameplay decisions leading to QTE combat and linearity and design decisions leading to boring architecture and settings than time constraints, but whatever they're doing, it's not what I signed up for when I bought the first game.

It's like sports games that release each year with essentially an updated roster - there are plenty of people who buy them, I think it's a travesty and wouldn't personally, but clearly some people think that's fine. The difference is I was part of the fanbase at some point whereas I am completely disinterested in sports games.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
The only reason I care at this point is if their crap deluge smothers the good games out of the market. Signs point to this having happened already, so while I am mad about it, I'm not sure if there's really anything we could do at this point besides focusing on pushing back with better games. Otherwise, there won't really be anything to argue about, because there won't be anything recent to compare it to. For all the dissent we hear on the internet, there are too many more people willing to deal with it, and trying to convince them otherwise without something to offer them is useless.

Nobody really learns the hard lessons until it's too late, anyway.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I used to be a huge fan of the Assassins Creed franchise. I even bought collectors editions for several of the games, which is something I never do.

But after playing the same game year after year, and after the utter atrocity that was Assassins Creed 3, I'm done with this series.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Vault101 said:
Oh come on ubi I don't need an ass creed every year, in fact it's pretty much killed the series for me

But then I can't argue with your bottom line
Yay your back! :)

OT: Ubisoft you, EA and Activison are idiots. History has proven time and time again that when you saturate the market you just kill it. Seriously your better off releasing different series over a 2-3 year alternating period then the one game every year, change is the spice of life after all.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I'm still burned by Assassin's Creed 3. (5/5 from Escapist, yes I'm never going to let it go)

If Lionel Raynaud person offers his face for me to smash kick his face in, I'd call it even.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
RicoADF said:
Vault101 said:
Oh come on ubi I don't need an ass creed every year, in fact it's pretty much killed the series for me

OT: Ubisoft you, EA and Activison are idiots. History has proven time and time again that when you saturate the market you just kill it. Seriously your better off releasing different series over a 2-3 year alternating period then the one game every year, change is the spice of life after all.
Now about that avatar....
mysecondlife said:
I'm still burned by Assassin's Creed 3. (5/5 from Escapist, yes I'm never going to let it go)

If Lionel Raynaud person offers his face for me to smash kick his face in, I'd call it even.
To be fair it's perfectly within their right to rate it as high as they see fit, plus escapist is only one if many scources of reviews

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
id say release them as often as theyll sell. just try to innovate at least a little with each game.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Vault101 said:
RicoADF said:
Vault101 said:

Now about that avatar....
mysecondlife said:

To be fair it's perfectly within their right to rate it as high as they see fit, plus escapist is only one if many scources of reviews
and to be fair, its within my rights to disagree with the review and say Mr. Tito is not a very good reviewer.

So you've been gone? Where?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
MeChaNiZ3D said:
Yes, congratulations, you have identified that people will buy a yearly Assassin's Creed. You have also alienated some fans of the earlier games like myself and will not be seeing my money because we prefer better gameplay, more freedom and interesting, diverse environments to a handful of guided history tours in colonial settings. Admittedly, the quality of the games could have more to do with gameplay decisions leading to QTE combat and linearity and design decisions leading to boring architecture and settings than time constraints, but whatever they're doing, it's not what I signed up for when I bought the first game.

It's like sports games that release each year with essentially an updated roster - there are plenty of people who buy them, I think it's a travesty and wouldn't personally, but clearly some people think that's fine. The difference is I was part of the fanbase at some point whereas I am completely disinterested in sports games.
I am one such fan as well. I was genuinely interested in the AC series during AC 1 and 2 thinking that some amazing story would take place. Then brotherhood and revelations started to leave a bitter taste in my mouth and I found myself not that excited in AC.

Then all the hype for AC III and the conclusion to a story that started to get lackluster after AC 2 got me excited once again. Except that AC III was the definition of making a game by checklist. It was so boring and bland that I couldn't even give AC IV a chance despite all the claims of it being a good game. To me the AC series is dead.

Sadly Ubisoft isn't stupid and they know they can make just as much money with half the effort selling to the ADHD low hanging fruit crowd that would purchase a yearly subscription.... I mean installment (like there is a difference at this point).

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
mysecondlife said:
and to be fair, its within my rights to disagree with the review and say Mr. Tito is not a very good reviewer.

So you've been gone? Where?
I know...I just get annoyed when people think reviews don't have the "right" opinion

oh around...nowhere in particular

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
So, guess who's not going to be buying the next Assassin's Creed game?

This guy. I mean, I only bought IV because, you know, Pirates and all. In fact, I clearly remember my least favorite parts of the gaming being the parts that centered around the Assassins. And now we're getting another Assassin's Creed game that most definitely won't have pirating? Blah.

I would, however, like Ubisoft to take the pirating stuff from IV and make an entirely new IP with that gameplay at its core. It was that good.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Brian Tams said:
So, guess who's not going to be buying the next Assassin's Creed game?

This guy. I mean, I only bought IV because, you know, Pirates and all. In fact, I clearly remember my least favorite parts of the gaming being the parts that centered around the Assassins. And now we're getting another Assassin's Creed game that most definitely won't have pirating? Blah.

I would, however, like Ubisoft to take the pirating stuff from IV and make an entirely new IP with that gameplay at its core. It was that good.
The only reason I didn't rush out to buy black flag the moment it came out was because it was an AC game....I'm getting tired of that crap