Ubisoft Pulls the Plug on From Dust DRM

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ubisoft Pulls the Plug on From Dust DRM

As promised, Ubisoft has patched out the DRM in the PC version of From Dust.

If there's one thing we've learned in recent months, it's that Ubisoft and DRM go together like oil and stupid. But full credit where it's due: the company promised a couple weeks ago to remove remove its asinine copy protection from the PC version of From Dust [http://store.steampowered.com/app/33460/] and today, as though commanded by an unseen god-figure looming above us, the deed is done.

The latest Steam update to From Dust allows the game to be played entirely offline and also transfers the save game file from Ubisoft's servers to local machines. Sadly, according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/to-ashes-from-dusts-drm-removed/], the patch does nothing to address any of the game's other issues, but one step at a time, right?

Call me an optimist if you will, but I'm hopeful, just a bit, that this could signal a rethinking in Ubisoft's DRM policies on the PC. The publisher has so far Driver: San Francisco [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112370-Ubisoft-Makes-Tiny-Tweak-to-Driver-DRM], a much higher-profile [and higher-budget] game, but, again, baby steps are sometimes the best way to start. If Ubisoft sees a positive response to the removal of the From Dust DRM and continues to feel pressure over its policies with other games, we might just see things take a meaningful turn for the better in the not-too-near future.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/news/6227/]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Now all that needs to be done is that we the consumers reward Ubisoft for this decision. Money is the only thing companies understand, and only by supporting changes like this by buying it again we can show Ubisoft that they can make more money without resorting to ridiculous DRM like that.

Also, isn't this the second time Ubisoft has done something like this? Didn't they soften up AC2's DRM as well?

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Anyone wanna do a performance comparison? I doubt this'll make as big a difference as it did for The Witcher 2 if any at all, but if the game starts plain ol' running better for lack of DRM it'll be interesting to note.

P.S. Thanks

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
They are starting to make me want to buy their games again.
If they'll release Assassin's Creed Revelaions without annoying DRM, I'll show my support by pre-ordering.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Not gonna thank them for this, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

If they get more sales now they're going to continue adding DRM then remove it a month later for a sales boost, they'll think it's a great idea.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Now all that needs to be done is that we the consumers reward Ubisoft for this decision. Money is the only thing companies understand, and only by supporting changes like this by buying it again we can show Ubisoft that they can make more money without resorting to ridiculous DRM like that.

Also, isn't this the second time Ubisoft has done something like this? Didn't they soften up AC2's DRM as well?
Don't think so, but they dropped it for AC: Brotherhood. In other news, Ubisoft calls their always-on DRM a success!

Anyway, sadly, it's hard to reward them by purchasing this title when the fact the game's as buggy as all hell on PC seemingly hasn't been addressed yet. And it's a proper shame too, I thought of it last night, wondering again why I didn't buy it before I remembered all the reviews on how broken it is.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Being completely realistic, a small amount of DRM isn't a big deal. Something like entering a serial number or something. But as long as Ubisoft even considers requiring an internet connection to play their games, I still refuse to buy anything they offer. Not even Microsoft Windows requires an internet connection and I'd venture to guess more people buy and use that particular operating system per year than the amount of games Ubisoft sells per year.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
The funny thing is that the itself DRM only ended up inconveniencing the gamers who bought the game legitimately since the game was cracked day one. Still, the fact that Ubisoft straight out lied to its customers won't go unnoticed.

Euhan01

Mar 16, 2011
Tempted to buy it now, was going to wait for price cut, but DRM cut seems like a good reason to buy aswell.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I think it would be a surprise if the sales go up after the patch as there was too much backlash when they integrated the DRM even when they said 'From Dust' wouldn't have the same draconian DRM as their other games.
Besides the game isn't even that good.

Wolfbane_Daoine

Mar 2, 2011
Sorry Mr. Chalk but I think that your optimistic outlook is sorely misplaced on this one. If Ubisoft were honestly feeling (or caring about) any pressure on the DRM front they would never have attempted to use always on in the first place. The reaction has been universally negative as far as I've seen or heard, yet they still insist on rolling games out with it. This tells me they really don't care what you or I have to say on the matter of always on DRM.

The only baby step required is to let them know that any game with this included is simply not going to sell. Period. Ubi's customers deserve far better treatment then what they've been offered lately.

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Larva said:
Online Always = Those in remote areas can not play.
Afghanistan is a remote area.
Ergo, to companies using this technology, soldiers in some godforsaken desert can't be trusted with your game.
I don't support companies that hate soldiers.

I'd pirate a game by the spindle (a version that actually works) and mail them to random bases before I'll give a company using this kind of DRM a dime. And Ubisoft has been on my shitlist since Witcher I... (I don't care that they 'later patched' that buggy as hell DRM either. I paid full retail for a Collector's Edition copy of that game only to have the game tell me I have to uninstall my imaging software or create a clean dual-boot just to play your game? Piss off. I'm proud to say I talked Best Buy into accepting a return on an open box software on that one.)

They still haven't learned. They won't get another dime from me till they do.
Yeah, I heard they hate soldiers. Wasn't there a news article about them sending hate mail to deployed personnel? /sarcasm

Calm yourself down.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Ubisoft has been digging themselves out of their stupid hole with moron shovels for far too long. This sort of crap will always be prevelant, because Management Is Stupid, but it is going to take a long, long time, and a large amount of good ol fashioned "end product user love" to erase this companys abysmal approaches to DRM. Which is a shame, since they hold so many titles Id like to play.

But, they arent the only ones who can stick to their guns.

Whiskey Echo!!
Mythgraven

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Actual said:

If they get more sales now they're going to continue adding DRM then remove it a month later for a sales boost, they'll think it's a great idea.
Exactly what I was thinking. They can't have DRM and no-DRM, it's either one or the other. They decided they would go with DRM against fan wishes, and now they are stripping it after the fact as a PR move.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Trusting the community to not pirate your games, because that worked so well for World of Goo right?

I'll be surprised if the percentage of legit copies is even in the single digits after this.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
godofallu said:
Actual said:

Exactly what I was thinking. They can't have DRM and no-DRM, it's either one or the other. They decided they would go with DRM against fan wishes, and now they are stripping it after the fact as a PR move.
TO be frank thats better than them just leaving it in permanently. I can get on board with the idea of launch period DRM that gets patched out later. That way the publisher gets their launch sales figures and we dont have to be permanently saddled with a DRM crippled game, even after its been cracked and pirated up the wazoo.

Thats the one thing the really annoys me, why keep the crippling DRM in a game after the DRM has been cracked and pirate copies are in the wild? What exactly are they achieveing at that point?

Edit: Ubisoft, well done, this game had moved from my "never buy" list to my "maybe buy if on sale" list. You might get my money after all.