Ubisoft Says to Expect More Annual Sequels

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
anthony87 said:
Bleh.

The annual releases along with the fact that they seem to be padding the ever loving fuck out of the story is exactly what put me off the Assassins Creed series. Seems like nowadays it's less about "Assassins vs Templars" and more "Look at this historical figure/time period!"
Which by all accounts is a good thing - I wouldn't shed a tear if they'd completely drop the bloated, nonsensical load of gibberish that is the whole Templar vs. Assassin schtick.

That said, ACIV is the first one in quite a while I'm actually interested in - I'm just hoping they cut back on the retarded conspiracy theories, and come clean about that it's a game where you muck about as a pirate.

AC hasn't been an assassination game for a very, very long time now, but it certainly has its charms as a popcorn munching historically accurate-ish sandbox.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Honestly, I am more concerned about quality rather then sequels. All I care about is that the game remains entertaining enough to warrant a purchase. Does the number on the box have any impact on that? not to me at least.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FloodOne said:
My guess is the series is holding pat at around 10 million a year.
My guess is that this is unsustainable.

I don't think this is going to be the game where it dies, however. I think PIRETZ!!!!!!! will be enough. But I suspect this release schedule is untenable.

Maybe that's just me, though. Frequency of release has actually turned me off of the series. However, I don't think I'm inserting my own feelings here.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Im fine with this, as long as the content is of a high standard. Get creative Ubi, you have a story/universe that allows you to explore any time period/setting you want, so why don't yo-WHO AM I TRYING TO KID!?!
Zeckt said:
Honestly, I am more concerned about quality rather then sequels. All I care about is that the game remains entertaining enough to warrant a purchase. Does the number on the box have any impact on that? not to me at least.
Yeah, this, its whats inside the game disk!

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
Everything i have to say has been said in this thread already, so i will just put this here, because it reflects my opinion about this.

:(

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I still don't even know why people liked the Assassin's Creed games to begin with, to be honest.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fuck this noise. This would have been good news only if AC3 delivered a fuckin' closure. But it didn't. So now I'm supposed to buy a new one every year hoping the story will make sense in the end and that I won't feel like I wasted my time. It took them 5 games to get to the most anti-climactic piece of shit ending. And the only reason people weren't outraged was the fact that it was overshadowed by Mass Effect 3 controversy. 5 fuckin' games and they pull that shit. Why would I bother with this crap anymore? I'm not even gonna get this one. I'm gonna read spoilers to see if they'll finally wrap up that stupid first civilization crap. If they don't, I'm done with AC.

And I already said in another topic that the biggest reason franchises like TES, Fallout and GTA are so successful is because they take their time. They make us crave for more and they have enough time to deliver something gamers will actually enjoy for a long time. Quality thrums quantity. You can't have both in this industry. People will get tired of AC very soon because they're giving us too much of the same in a short period of time. Objectively those games might be of high quality, but it doesn't matter. It's just too much. AC just doesn't feel as special as it once did.

I used to be excited about AC announcement. Now I'm indifferent, and sometimes a little frustrated. Instead of thinking: "WOW! ANOTHER ASSASSIN'S CREED", I think "meh, just another AC game".

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Okay, so I wait until the sequel comes out and then buy the original at half price. Wait three years, and then buy the truly original sequel at half price again. I got ACII for $15 I think. Only one I've bought. Works for me, I don't know how the publishers are going to support that. Oh wait, I do, online pass-based multiplayer. But since AC is more single player anyway, I hope the series doesn't collapse because of people like me.

I wish games like TES, DA:O, and Mass Effect took on this model. Instead of abunch of shitty micro-transactions; release full-priced, possibly-standalone expansions. But of course the work to price ratio is so fucked up for micro-transactions, small DLC are never worth their price compared to full games, that I can't see it changing. And its hard to swear off small dlc because we love the series so much. Truly evil.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
So, when the series crashes and burns (as I assume is inevitable with this kind of release schedule) they'll already have another AC sequel half-done by a semi-different team? So their choice is either:

Give up and lose the money put in so far;
Finish it and throw good money after bad in wages and "No, we promise, this one is better" PR costs;
Spend more money rebadging it to try avoid a poison IP.

And this is the same industry that lays off whole teams the second they're done a game with a "we have to save money" justification, right?

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Can't wait to see how many people don't buy AC Pirates. I have to agree with most comments here, the games aren't that great anymore (I found AC3 more rage inducing than Dark Souls)

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Except that the games aren't good. AC2 was the last one that put anything big and new to the table. Brotherhood was okay, but nothing spectacular. Revelations was so dull I didn't even bother finishing, and AC3 was just so damn poorly written that I returned it afterwards because I knew I wouldn't play it again.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
So Ubisoft will soon be renaming itself to Abstergo with an all new triangle logo ...
I personally enjoyed the AC series until III, it was great exploring new places and following the life of Ezio, so I didn't mind Brotherhood and Revelations, but I simply couldn't bring myself to play a lot of ACIII, maybe it was the setting, or Connor, I'm not sure and don't really know what to except from Black Flag, I'm not into the whole pirate theme that much.

The problem I have with Abs...Ubisoft's strategy is that they seem to be focusing almost all of their attention on the Assassins games, I know there will be a new Splinter Cell, hopefully better than Conviction and DA, and Watch Dogs is looking great, but I would really love a new Prince of Persia game, or that new project called Osiris, which has also been put on hold next to PoP.
Ubisoft has a lot of great franchises, I doubt they would really need a new AC every year, they could have great and different games each year, with greater time lapses between them, so all of their games even the AC games could feel fresh every time we get a new one.
It's really starting to have the Call of Duty feel to it ...

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
If Call of Duty can do it, why can't Assassin's Creed? It's exactly the same. People who want more AC will buy more AC. It's not like the games are the size of Skyrim where you can easily pour over 100 hours into it. They're 20 hours at most. And they're being developed by multiple studios with Ubisoft Montreal heading them all. If I loved the AC series, I'd want a new one each year.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
This could only work if the games are made in an episodic manner. If the same quality of a franchise has to be continued, the limited time can thus only convert into a small amount of gameplay hours.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Full said:
I'm really glad this is happening.

Said no one in this thread.
I am really glad this is happening. Trolololol

I don't care how often they come if the sequel is good then it is worth a buy.

I would rather have a good game every year then die waiting for half life 3 to come out.

Korzack

Apr 28, 2010
Oh, marvellous. I look forward to Assassin's creed 2014: Where Lionel Messi makes a cameo as an assassin with blades hidden inside his football boots.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
"Every Assassin's Creed has one dedicated core team working more than one year on their projects. We call that a roadmap. It takes into account the creative content - the settings, the where and what - the technology and the team."

Yeah, you did the same thing with the Splinter Cell franchise. Quality was wishy-washy from title to title because no one knew how to be consistent. The AC series has quite literally turned out the same way... wishy-washy.