Ubisoft To Make Monopoly For Hasbro

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Ubisoft To Make Monopoly For Hasbro

The deal is for current and next generation console games.

"Hasbro makes games that we all know and love," says Ubisoft's Tony Key, "and we're thrilled to be able to work with them to create video game experiences based on some of their most popular brands." Ubisoft is to make current and next generation console versions of some of Hasbro's most recognizable titles, including Monopoly, Scrabble (US and Canada only), Trivial Pursuit, Risk, Battleship and Cranium. There are already PC, Mac and mobile versions available of many of Hasbro's titles available via Electronic Arts, but Hasbro chose to go with the Assassin's Creed developer for its console titles.

"We look forward to collaborating with Ubisoft to offer consumers innovative new ways to experience their favorite gaming brands," says Hasbro's Mark Blecher. Hasbro's experiments with video gaming have earned a modest amount of cash, and gaming revenue its partnership with Zynga to make board games [http://investor.hasbro.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=779208] last year.

Look forward to building hotels and going bankrupt on your Xbox One sometime next year. I wonder if the Cat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121940-Cat-Passes-Go-Collects-200] will make an appearance, or if the Iron will sneak its way back onstage?

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/7/4598486/ubisoft-shakes-on-hasbro-console-games-deal]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
So whenever Monopoly is released we can expect Monopoly 2 the year after?

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
TheSYLOH said:
Yep,
And Monopoly: Brotherhood the year after that.
Here, have the internet for that. You deserve it.

Also: "Innovative" referring to Monopoly. HAH.

Okay, Monopoly Tycoon was kind of original...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Monsterfurby said:
TheSYLOH said:
Yep,

This is true. More board games should get the Monopoly Tycoon type of switched-up content.

Anyways... woo? I already have Monopoly on my computer, because no one wants to play with me in real life. ;__;

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
TheSYLOH said:
Teoes said:
Yep,
I actually think you guys are on the right track. Ubisoft's multi-studio projects that let them churn out sequels each year is likely the reason they were selected. While I don't think we'll be getting one Battleship, Monopoly, and Connect 4, etc... of each Hasbro game every year, this will easily allow them to make one 'higher quality' board game annually.

Now that I think about it though, they do have a fully functioning naval combat engine. Just remodel the pirate ships and we could easily see Battleship Creed 7: The Boatening. I would actually buy that... strictly for science, of course.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Oh great, so I'm assuming there will be a DRM laden PC port, but we'll be able to use uPlay points to unlock an Ezio game piece, and get access to hotels early?

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
TheSYLOH said:
Teoes said:
Yep,
Plus 10 internet points for that my friend, you really deserve it.

Also, when I read the title of the article I thought it meant that Ubisoft owned the license to make games based of Hasbros IP, guess it was just a Monopoly game after all.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Right. Because making a board game on next-gen platforms isn't going to result in ridiculous overspending at all.

I suppose we can expect game pieces from other Ubisoft games (Assassin's Creed) to be available for some kind of points.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Monsterfurby said:
TheSYLOH said:
Yep,

I'm so happy you brought up Monopoly Tycoon, I loved that game so much when I got it in a cereal box years ago... I wish they still did that.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Monopoly: Brohood

Recruit the shoe AND the iron, teach them the ways of the assassin, and... collect $200 when you pass go.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I'm sorry, but I'm too distracted by the fact that Mr. Monopoly had his mustache removed.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
I'm not sure which will be more bizarre... Rich Uncle Pennybags free-running his way around a bustling metropolis, stopping every now and again to check on his property development side-quest, or the Ridley Scott movie (seriously, look it up).

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So Hasbro is now in bed with all three of the big publishers. Activision for those Transformers games, Ubisoft for board game adaptations, and EA for whatever it is that they were doing. And I guess we could throw in the big two, Zynga and Gameloft, on the mobile market.

I bet they wish they still owned their own video game company now; video games clearly represent a sizable part of their business now.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Alpha Maeko said:
Monopoly: Brohood

Recruit the shoe AND the iron, teach them the ways of the assassin, and... collect $200 when you pass go.
And of course, since we're talking about Hasbro, the next one would be Monopoly: Brohoof.

killthejews

Aug 4, 2013
I am still waiting for the Monopoly movie. It would certainly be more interesting than that silly Battleship one.

How about Monopoly: The Video Game: The Movie: Based on the Boardgame by Hasbro