Ubisoft to Punish Players Who Exploit Glitch in The Division's "Falcon Lost"

Karathos

May 10, 2009
It might be a bad idea, but what is the alternative? Just ignore it? Sounds like a terrific idea. Actual lawmakers IRL could learn something from that attitude. Oh you stole something? Better let you off with a slap on the wrist just in case there's a protest afterward.

Comparing singleplayer progression and speedrunning in a singleplayer game like Demon's Souls to a multiplayer game with a natural curve for loot progression and gear strength like The Division is moot. I'm sure all those people getting absolutely decimated in Dark Zone PvP by people who have glitched their way into max level gear in no time at all really support this whole 'victimless crime' excuse.

It's not the developer's fault when people agree to terms of service which clearly state that any known issues or bugs being used in a way that the game isn't meant to be played may result in your account being suspended or completely terminated. Finishing an Incursion without a single combat is not some kind of "clever use of game mechanics" or playing it "unlike the developer intended", it's just cheating. Give yourself a little credit and stop acting intentionally dense. You can carry the ball across the court in basketball, but if you do you're gonna get called an idiot and taken off the court.

"But I'm just playing the game in a way the person who developed it didn't intend, and where does it say I can't do this?"
"You agreed to the rules - or terms one might say, of basketball before we started."
"Oh."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
Punishing the players instead of fixing the problem is a bad idea.
But they're not punishing players instead of fixing the problem. They're punishing players in addition to fixing the problem.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Fox12 said:
Punishing the players instead of fixing the problem is a bad idea.
But they're not punishing players instead of fixing the problem. They're punishing players in addition to fixing the problem.
There shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. They're punishing players for their own incompetence : /

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
There shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. They're punishing players for their own incompetence : /
They're punishing players for opting to exploit a glitch which gives high-end gear in a game with a strong PVP element. I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets hit here. This is not, as per your comparison, a single player speedrun or some such. It's a competitive game with rules, and people are violating those rules for an advantage. In fact, Ubisoft had damn well better enforce their rules, given how necessary the PVP is in end game and how much cheaters are breaking the game.

Creator002 said:
That being said, if it isn't giving players an advantage over others, what's the problem?
It is. The gear acquired from Falcon Lost has some pretty game-changing bonuses. The gear score for the loot people are going after is 240, which is 1.5 times that (roughly) what I'm picking up through play because my friends and I simply don't have the gear to do Falcon Lost. This also means we really can't do the Dark Zone at all, because we're completely outclassed by people who already have complete gear sets thanks to this. The irony is that this gear can also be picked up in the Dark Zone to my understanding, but good luck getting there if everyone and their brother can curb stomp you as easy as look at you.

Apparently, however, it is now Ubisoft's duty to now allow this play imbalance to continue, because we wouldn't want to upset the players who chose to break the rules to gain such an advantage.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Something Amyss said:
Creator002 said:
That being said, if it isn't giving players an advantage over others, what's the problem?
It is. The gear acquired from Falcon Lost has some pretty game-changing bonuses. The gear score for the loot people are going after is 240, which is 1.5 times that (roughly) what I'm picking up through play because my friends and I simply don't have the gear to do Falcon Lost. This also means we really can't do the Dark Zone at all, because we're completely outclassed by people who already have complete gear sets thanks to this. The irony is that this gear can also be picked up in the Dark Zone to my understanding, but good luck getting there if everyone and their brother can curb stomp you as easy as look at you.

Apparently, however, it is now Ubisoft's duty to now allow this play imbalance to continue, because we wouldn't want to upset the players who chose to break the rules to gain such an advantage.
No. Now that I know the glitch does disadvantage those that don't use it, it NEEDS to be fixed. I still don't think those that did use it before Ubisoft said they'd be punished should be punished, but those after have been warned and are on their own.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Creator002 said:
Reminds me of Destiny. "Stop playing the game the way we don't want you to."
Does it violate their Code of Conduct though? If it does, they're well within their rights to punish players using the exploit.
That being said, if it isn't giving players an advantage over others, what's the problem? Fix it and leave it at that. If I were in that position, I'd leave the glitch in as long as it didn't affect anything else. It's not the players of my game that put the glitch in and if they don't want to glitch past a boss, they won't.
To be fair, Bungie didn't punish players for exploiting the raids, particularly the boss encounters, at all. Period. Hell at some points they openly laughed and joked along with the players at some of the weird and crazy exploits that were found, before just patching them out.

They basically said, "Oh, that's a pretty neat and funny way of completing this boss encounter. We'll have to patch it of course, but feel free to enjoy it while it lasts."

No punishing involved. If anything, the exploits found allowed them to avoid making the same mistakes in the future, because if I recall correctly the most recent raid doesn't have any MAJOR boss exploits like the first two did.

Now the PvP cheaters on the other hand...that's a very different story. Lots of banhammers there...