Ubisoft Won't Ship Yearly Assassin's Creed If "It's Not Good Enough"

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm not sure what to think of this, but did they really think Assassin's Creed 3 was worth putting out?

GonvilleBromhead

Dec 19, 2010
Honestly, whilst I like many others feel that ACIII was perhaps the series' low point in many ways, it wasn't worse than the others (although, IMHO, it wasn't by any means a bad game) because it felt rushed or incomplete or unpolished, or any of the problems one would expect with yearly releases. It was more that they tried to take it in another direction that didn't quite work as well - and would rather they did what they did than have us faff around as Ezio again. Afterall, ACIV took the series in another direction, and it did work (and breathed some much needed life into the series).

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
So they have standards now? What happened a great backlash of blackwater straight to their faces? -HarHarHar...
How about letting all the departments do their work with the discussed and agreed deadline instead of cutting it short few months weeks years so you can compete with a fish we do not name here.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Well, if you dont want to release unfinished product, why did you release 3 or 4? Both of them have terrible combat, yet you still released them.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
bug_of_war said:
AndrewC said:
Too bad they made Ass Creed 3 and forever demolished the hopes of ever giving us a good AC game forevermore.

Sounds a bit like the Sonic franchise: ruined by a series of games they're just firing out the window claiming that each one will be totally awesome and fans will love it.

No! Don't do that! Give us something that's the same quality as AC2! They bothered to make that game excellent, take that craftmanship and fire it into a new game if you insist on pumping games out of this franchise till it's dry.

To be fair, the sailing mechanics in AC3 were fairly fun: rest of the game was an abomination. Same applies to Black Flag.

Personally.
Have you played AC4? Cause Black Flag was (at least for me) on par with the first and second AC game. I would seriously recommend borrowing or buy a copy as it's definitely worth your time.

OT: Well seeing as how they've delayed both Watchdogs and South Park I'd say they're not lying.
I've played it and consider it as poor as AC3 (and I despised about 90% of that game) which is a shame because like I said: the sailing system in AC3 was decent so the idea of them making a game based around the sea-life concept and giving us this mysterious allure of assassin pirates was interesting.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
AndrewC said:
I've played it and consider it as poor as AC3 (and I despised about 90% of that game) which is a shame because like I said: the sailing system in AC3 was decent so the idea of them making a game based around the sea-life concept and giving us this mysterious allure of assassin pirates was interesting.
Wow, that's really unfortunate. Ah well, try as we might we can't please everyone.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I really wish Assassin's Creed 3 was good enough..
Adam Jensen said:
This is just an empty claim. Of course they're gonna say that.
But then so is everything that gets reported here.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I find it hilarious that the analogy they use is a "70% Assassin's Creed game" when that's what I've considered the last few Assassin's Creed games, if that.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
While Ubisoft can be mentally challenged when it comes to PR, or releasing games on PC that work, I've still considered them a top end game company. Why? Because the quality of the experience of these games (AC, Prince of Persia series for example) has been fucking excellent. Even the lesser games, like AC:R were still fun for me. The only game I ever absolutely hated when it came out was the Prince of Persia reboot. Thankfully other folks agreed with me and that game never went beyond one release.
So when Ubisoft says they're not willing to release a 70% AC, I'm inclined to believe them. I don't care about on time releases, I care about bug free (as good as you can), quality games. Get it to me when its ready, thats when a game is "on-time". Except if you're Valve, then don't even bother looking for a 3rd part ever to be developed.
I am also one of the few folk who actually liked AC3... but thats me.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment I guess. AC IV looks like a possible return to form. We'll see if they continue.

But I can't imagine that a company can ever really hope to strike gold often when they keep to a year's development cycle. That kind of stuff results in Dragon Age II.

Vinterdraken

Apr 4, 2009
Well considering how low their standards are, Im sure ubisoft wont run into any problems upholding their statement,

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'll believe it when I see it, Ubisoft. But they really should slow down on AssCreed though. Extra development time certainly wouldn't hurt in trying to improve the quality.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I think they should have stopped a few games ago, by that logic.

Grabehn said:
Shoudln't they have don this about 3 years ago though? I mean, if Brotherhood/Revelations were up to their standars... I don't have any idea of what ISN'T up there.
That's the thing. Their standards are basically "will it make lots of money?"

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
They're 3 years late. Aside from copy-and-pasting the code onto the next game and then writing a few more lines, nothing ever changes gameplay wise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
That's the thing with franchise fatigue, Ubisoft... It won't stop untill you give it a rest.

Even with AC4 being quite a good game, it's still being dragged down by it being yet another AC game, as well as the usual Assassin's Creed issues. After finishing it I was struck by an enormous disinterest to ever play it again, despite enjoying most of it.

At this point it's rivaling Final Fantasy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
DOes Ubisoft have a mental disorder? I meant they constantly have a situation where thier mouth does one thing and their hands - completely the opposite.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Revelations was pretty decent.

AC3 on the other hand, I wish I could recall that game out of my memory.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Who's standard?

The companies? A game shouldn't be released if it's buggy or clearly needs more time to be completed/polished.

The players? We will consider a game rushed if it's buggy or needed more time to be completed/polished and it doesn't meet our expectations.
But that's all perspective, I've just read through ten plus comments calling Revelations "not up-to scratch" I think it's a great game, but now were talk personal taste.

If we, the gamer, don't like a game for it's story, then that isn't a reason to call it a rushed/poor game. I feel we can only call it rushed/poor game if it is intrinsically broken, or is just a re-skin of the game rushed out 12 months ago, which is just a re-skin of the game that came out 12 months before that.