UK Anti-Gaming Politician Has Change of Heart

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
UK Anti-Gaming Politician Has Change of Heart

Keith Vaz, an outspoken opponent of videogames in the British Parliament, has changed his ways, according to his contemporaries.

UK backbencher Keith Vaz is probably best known for his vocal opposition to violent video games; but according to his fellow politicians, his views are changing, growing softer and less antagonistic towards the industry.

"Keith has been on a journey," said Labour's Tom Watson, speaking on Question Time on Monday night. "Over the last 12 months his views have shifted quite significantly. Partly because he read what Tanya Byron had to say, partly because the industry had engaged with him and wouldn't let him get away with factually inaccurate comments, and partly because he is getting kicked to death in the tearoom when the cameras aren't there.

"When Keith made his comments about the suicide bomber game, he began by saying 'I would like to make it clear I think the video games industry is doing a lot of good work.' And I was delighted to be the one that followed him to speak next, because it was the first time I had heard him say something like that," added Liberal Democrat Don Foster

Vaz's new-found respect for the gaming industry comes at an interesting time, as there will be a general election in the UK in the next few months, and Labour's grip on power is shaky at best. Is Vaz's revised stance really a result of more information, or is this a ploy to win back some gamer votes?

Source: MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38280/MPs-Keith-Vaz-has-changed] via Develop Online [http://www.develop-online.net/news/34352/Kieth-Vaz-has-changed]

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well... this certainly is interesting... good, and interesting...
If he is being honest, and not just trying to take Gamer votes.
What am I saying?!! He is a British politician! Of course he must be using Gamers for his own ends...

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Of course it's a ploy. He probably liked the handouts he got when meeting with game industry types. (He's got a reputation for trying to get as much free stuff as his position will get him.)

Dec 14, 2009
Of course he would say that. The British government has finally recognised that games are popular and they want to start investing in British game developers to make loadz of MONEYZ!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I'm being compelled to use the words of Admiral Ackbar here

as much as using internet meme's as posting content is getting frowned upon here i feel this applies to the situation

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
If he's Labour I won't vote for his party anyway, no matter what good stuff he says and does for gamers. Reason? I'm a Tory.

However, I'm glad he's finally stepping off his high horse, especially if it's because developers are engaging directly with him to show him the fallacies behind some of his statements and show him that some of what he says is strictly wrong. I hope that he does see the error of his ways and that all of his is genuinely a change of heart, not just a way to drum up votes in the upcoming elections. Either way though, as Logan said, it's a very interesting time right now...

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Of course he would say that. The British government has finally recognised that games are popular and they want to start investing in British game developers to make loadz of MONEYZ!
Of course there's a lot in common between British Politicians and British Game developers like Lionhead. They both make lots of big promises, add huge amounts of hype and then deliver on none of it. It's the perfect partnership!

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
He's probably trying to garner support. But still, if he actually has changed his opinion then good.

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Politician has a potentially vote winning change of heart when an election is coming up. What a surprise.

Dec 14, 2009
CloudKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Of course there's a lot in common between British Politicians and British Game developers like Lionhead. They both make lots of big promises, add huge amounts of hype and then deliver on none of it. It's the perfect partnership!
Imagine what would happen if Peter Molyneux became a politician. We'd all be promised solid gold sofas and he would make it rain cheeseburgers every other Thursday.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Hey, I hope that's true. The video game industry is recently proving very lucrative and if our government can get some of that money then it'd be a great boost to the British economy. Regardless of Vaz's thoughts, I sincerely hope that the British government does invest in the gaming industry. If other countries can make money from it, why not us?

CloudKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That's quite an uninformed thing to say (unless you were being sarcastic, since sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, so apologies if that was the case). There are plenty of British developers, not just Lionhead, and very few fall into the stereotype that you've put them and Lionhead into. Hell, even Lionhead isn't that guilty, only Peter Molyneux is, and even there I personally think he's just a great guy who just gets a little over-excited about the stuff his company puts out...

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
CloudKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Imagine what would happen if Peter Molyneux became a politician. We'd all be promised solid gold sofas and he would make it rain cheeseburgers every other Thursday.
If it was a choice between Molyneaux, Brown, Cameron and Clegg, I be far more certain on who I'd be voting for.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
CloudKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That would be quite painful. Cheeseburgers falling from the sky would get my clothes covered in ketchup and melted cheese, and possibly hurt when falling at high speed from the sky. And solid gold sofas would hurt my bum. At least leather is nice and soft... ;)

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I imagine some form of "Christmas Carol" scenario where he's visited by the ghost of gaming past, gaming present, and games yet to come. That means he must have seen Portal 2!

CloudKiller

Rather Irritated Mage
Jun 30, 2008
Trivun said:
CloudKiller said:
Daystar Clarion said:
That's quite an uninformed thing to say (unless you were being sarcastic, since sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet, so apologies if that was the case). There are plenty of British developers, not just Lionhead, and very few fall into the stereotype that you've put them and Lionhead into. Hell, even Lionhead isn't that guilty, only Peter Molyneux is, and even there I personally think he's just a great guy who just gets a little over-excited about the stuff his company puts out...
Yes i was being sarcastic

Dec 14, 2009
Doc Cannon said:
It's either BS or someone used a Mesmetron on him.
It's a win-win situation! Either his head explodes, leaving us with one less politician in the world (always a good thing), or his opinion of gaming has changed, by farce!