UK Anti-Gaming Politician Has Change of Heart

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Another blow against our enemy Democracy. We have shown them that we will not stand for this popular anti video game rabble rousing. Very soon we will be able to unleash the tsunamis of violence in the homes of Britain. Very soon.

Dec 14, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Another blow against our enemy Democracy. We have shown them that we will not stand for this popular anti video game rabble rousing. Very soon we will be able to unleash the tsunamis of violence in the homes of Britain. Very soon.
Shhhhh, it's too soon to be speaking like that. We can only speak our minds in the secret club-house of secrecy...

The password is 'girls are smelly'.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I got a feeling the general election is playing a huge part.

Labour needs all the support as it can get to avoid a hung parliment.

I will believe it after the election...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
The only reason he's doing this is

1. General Election Coming up.
2. Rocksteady (A UK Developer) won at the Bafta awards.

Calumon: He looks like a potato.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Bravo. Good to see that calm reasoning and persistence can change even the most biased minds.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Well, it takes a bigger person than myself to admit they're wrong. And that guy looks pretty big.

Ba-dum-tish! [http://instantrimshot.com/]

Greyfox105 said:
Well... this certainly is interesting... good, and interesting...
If he is being honest, and not just trying to take Gamer votes.
What am I saying?!! He is an American politician! Of course he must be using Gamers for his own ends...
Fix'd.

[sup]That's the part where someone goes, "Ohh, snap!"[/sup]

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
DarkSaber said:
Of course it's a ploy. He probably liked the handouts he got when meeting with game industry types. (He's got a reputation for trying to get as much free stuff as his position will get him.)
Or he started playing a human pally on wow, either way I don't think this news is really that good. He is a rather tenacious politician; I think it's a ploy of some sort.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I personally wouldn't trust him under the circumstances myself, once he's in office and doing things again it becomes difficult to dislodge him. Had he had a change of faith in the midst of his term and been acting differantly then it would be differant. Like Michael Atkinson I'd say he needs to be replaced outright... at least from a gamer perspective. The big question of course being if any of his rivals have a pro-gaming stance. If none of them do then he might be worth the gamble, but only under those circumstances.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Who the devil is that man?
I like to keep relatively up to date on the political status of our wonderful little island (spoiler: they're all manipulative dicks), but he's a new one to me.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Meh. I honestly could not care less who wins the election. All 3 major parties in England are practically mirror images of one another

swordless

Mar 29, 2010
I doubt that he has changed his mind over whether games are bad for people or not. It's more likely it has been decided that, like many others things that are or are at least deemed to be bad for people politicians can make a lot of money out of taxing people when they buy it.

Feb 13, 2008
flaming_squirrel said:
Who the devil is that man?
I like to keep relatively up to date on the political status of our wonderful little island (spoiler: they're all manipulative dicks), but he's a new one to me.
Labour MP for Leicester East. His opponents are

BNP Colin Gilmore
Conservative Jane Hunt
Communist Avtar Sadiq
Green Mo Taylor

Yeah...we have a weird area.

Threx

Nov 9, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'm being compelled to use the words of Admiral Ackbar here

as much as using internet meme's as posting content is getting frowned upon here i feel this applies to the situation
Frowned upon?, not if used in the right situation like this one. Anyway I completely agree with Englishman it sounds like a trap.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I like to think this is he because he came home early one day, only to find his son blasting away on the 360 he'd secretly been hiding for the last two years.

"Oh my God Timmy what are you doing!? I knew it, I fucking knew it, you're a... a gamer?"

The kid gets up and runs out past him, tears streaming down his face. Mr Vaz is left standing, feeling hollow and confused, his son, his own flesh and blood is the very thing he has been campaigning to eradicate. The thing he hates, that he was certain was against all he held dear.

Thus begins a long journey of introspection and discovery...