UK Court Force Chokes George Lucas's Copyright Lawsuit

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Yes, he probably breaches intellectual copyright by selling them for profit.
But surely, Lucas should have just hired the man because it seems he makes such awsomely amazing good helmets?

Yes, sue the awsome artist why don't you. It's bloody hard enough as it is to make a living as an artist.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They really pulled the piracy line because the guy who originally made the damn things wants to make some money? That's screwy.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Saulkar said:
Sir Shockwave said:
vansau said:
The High Court and Court of Appeal ruled in Ainsworth's favor, and the Supreme Court just followed suit. While Ainsworth is undoubtedly thrilled -after all, he turns a pretty tidy profit on the helmets and sets of armor- Lucasfilm clearly is pretty angry. After the ruling, a spokesperson for the film stated, "We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain. The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy."
Because when I think Piracy, I think illegally downloading Stormtrooper Helmets O.O
Sweet! Where can I download them?
You think anyone released a torrent for lightsaber crystals yet? I've been trying to get my hands on a black one for months and I'm not keen on paying an upwards of several major organs trying to obtain one. I'll save that for the die-hard collectors.

FreakSheet

Jul 16, 2011
"We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain..."

Yes, they do. Therefore, its time you filed a copyright claim vs. Lucas for destroying a franchise.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I think it's funny that everyone is jumping to Ainsworth's defense, saying that he's the original creator of these things when there's compelling evidence [http://www.therpf.com/f45/original-anh-stormtrooper-helmet-armor-just-facts-102219/] that the original sculpts were created by Liz Moore.

Apr 17, 2009
"We believe the imaginative characters, props, costumes, and other visual assets that go into making a film deserve protection in Britain."
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that exactly what they're getting LucasArts? Because we're giving the rights to Ainsworth, the guy who designed them?

"The UK should not allow itself to become a safe haven for piracy."
Pff, we've been a haven for piracy since the 15th century. Its a tradition.

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Sounds more like Lukas just trying to milk as much money as he can before him and Star wars bites the bullet. Though I think he'll be gone way before SW is.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
It's Lucas' own damn fault for not making sure their company covered every base. Personally, I think it should be a two way street. Both parties should receive equal compensation. It was HIS design after all.

Suing him immediately, though? Not cool mega-corporation. Not cool.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I've got an idea, Lucas.

Sell the things yourself if you want to shut down any of your fans' attempts to continue enjoying your series while you milk the bloody thing to death.

Feb 13, 2008
Ah, there's so many quotes from the films that would do this justice.

I think I'll go with:

The more you tighten your grip, Lucas, the more court cases will slip through your fingers.

Ickorus said:
Just lost a lot of respect for George Lucas.
You still had any?

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
vansau said:
According to Ainsworth's lawyer, the legal decision "opens a 'Pandora's box' as anyone is now free to make the models."
And just think, if Lucasfilm hadn't been a bunch of greedy bastards and tried to get more money from this guy, they wouldn't be losing everything else they're about to because of this.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I must admit I'm disappointed in Lucasfilm for doing this. My friend draws Star Wars stuff on people's shoes for five to ten dollars. And it's really good stuff. Is Lucasfilm going to sue her if they ever find out? Come on...