UK pedo caught by DSi. Confesses to sex (multiple times) with girl (9-11), Gets 3.5 years. Wat.

Little2Raph

Aug 27, 2011
I've said it before and I'll say it again. . . we need a Chinese-style system of law and order.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
chadachada123 said:
First note: Make sure to not confuse pedophilia with child molestation. The dude was a child molester, but not necessarily a pedo if the girl had started puberty. Pedophilia is related to pre-pubescent kids.

On the one hand, yeah, 3.5 years seems like nothing. The sick fuck *deserves* far worse.

On the other, what exactly would be the point of giving him a harsher punishment? Given the US legal system (and I imagine the UK is pretty similar in this regard), once the dude gets out of prison, no matter how long the sentence is, he'll never be able to get a half-decent job ever again. His life is already irreparably ruined from this, no matter what.

Prison is supposed to be a punishment, and that punishment should end when your prison sentence ends. Sex Offender Registries and the like carry the punishment so much longer that the ex-cons will never be able to live freely again, and so will be far, far more likely to turn to crime again, seeing as they can't work their way up the ladder legally anymore.
That is true, but we still feel he should be in prison for a little bit longer. At least then he might just go insane or something. The longer he stays away from the normal world and causing trouble again, the better

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Little2Raph said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. . . we need a Chinese-style system of law and order.
Care to elaborate, or explain that at all? I know a lot of systems across the ocean use the 'eye for an eye' method. But I'm not familiar with China's justice system.

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
chadachada123 said:
First note: Make sure to not confuse pedophilia with child molestation. The dude was a child molester, but not necessarily a pedo if the girl had started puberty. Pedophilia is related to pre-pubescent kids.

On the one hand, yeah, 3.5 years seems like nothing. The sick fuck *deserves* far worse.

On the other, what exactly would be the point of giving him a harsher punishment? Given the US legal system (and I imagine the UK is pretty similar in this regard), once the dude gets out of prison, no matter how long the sentence is, he'll never be able to get a half-decent job ever again. His life is already irreparably ruined from this, no matter what.

Prison is supposed to be a punishment, and that punishment should end when your prison sentence ends. Sex Offender Registries and the like carry the punishment so much longer that the ex-cons will never be able to live freely again, and so will be far, far more likely to turn to crime again, seeing as they can't work their way up the ladder legally anymore.
Look at the first post again: admitted two offences of assault by penetration. PENETRATION. I think that counts as Pedophilia. And it started when the kid was 9, even with all the hormones in food I doubt Puberty started THAT early.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
If I remember correctly, car thieves usually get 5 years.

Proportionality - it's a beautiful thing.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
shouldn't a act that may damage someone for there entire life be more then 3.5 years?

it should be life and a lifetime of torture

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Apparently no-one here has the ability to read secondary sources, because they alone have said that the abuser has borderline learning disabilities, and is getting a whole lot of treatment that goes far beyond 3.5 years.

You don't need to go to jail for hundreds of years to have effective punishment/rehabilitation.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Eri said:
Kotaku said:
A girl in the United Kingdom put away a man who molested her thanks to the camera on her Nintendo DSi, using it to surreptiously capture his assault and force a confession.

John Fisher, 46, did admit to the abuse after his accuser (unnamed) snapped a picture of his hand groping her. Fisher's going to prison for 3 1/2 years as a result.

The girl, now 11, said Fisher, as a family friend, had abused her since she was nine yet nothing had been done until she "had the presence of mind," according to a prosecutor, to photograph him with the DSi. When the girl showed her mother the picture, she immediately contacted the cops. At first, Fisher denied the assault, but he admitted it when confronted with the picture.

A report by The Daily Mail says Fisher "admitted two offences of assault by penetration" over the past two years.

"[The victim's] quick thinking in using her games console to take a photograph of him touching her," said a police representative, "provided indisputable proof of what had happened and she was brave enough to come forward and report the incident and give us a full and accurate account of what had gone on."
http://kotaku.com/5897296/pedophile-caught-thanks-to-girls-nintendo-camera

Don't a few people here seem to rail against the US justice system for being ridiculous a lot? Well, if it is, the US is certainly not alone in its ridiculousness.
The first question that comes to mind here is what kind of system does the UK have for tracking and controlling known pedophilles and sex offenders.

Basically if this guy is going to get out of prison, never be able to find a job, and basically be limited to tiny areas of the community that are considered away from children, while having everyone informed and warned about what he did... well yeah, he's being punished and controlled rather solidly, taking up prison space beyonf the 3.5 years probably isn't nessicary.

That said, I'm a supporter of the idea of mandatory chemical castration for sex offenders, to prevent repete offenses and such, but needless to say that idea hasn't caught on (and there are a lot of reasons why, some quite good, even if I disagree with them).

I am curious how the UK handles this kind of thing if anyone knows, is this really a slap on the wrist, or is this guy's life going to be forever miserable and under control?

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Sonicron said:

In the UK?

I think not buddy.

You're looking at around 6 months, probably serve about 3 of that ... and that is only for repeat offenders.

GBH and ABH carries a punishment of .... a slap on the wrist (I know because i've been charged with assault 4 times and have yet to get anything more than a caution). A lot of people I know get into fights on a weekend after a night out, spend the night in a cell to "calm down" and are sent back on their way in the morning.

It's not easy to get locked up in the UK you have to really work at it.

They blame it on prison over crowding and some such. If anyone remembers a couple of years ago there was an uproar when the government ordered a load of child molesters, rapists and general naughty people released to ease the burden.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Therumancer said:
Eri said:
Kotaku said:
A girl in the United Kingdom put away a man who molested her thanks to the camera on her Nintendo DSi, using it to surreptiously capture his assault and force a confession.

John Fisher, 46, did admit to the abuse after his accuser (unnamed) snapped a picture of his hand groping her. Fisher's going to prison for 3 1/2 years as a result.

The girl, now 11, said Fisher, as a family friend, had abused her since she was nine yet nothing had been done until she "had the presence of mind," according to a prosecutor, to photograph him with the DSi. When the girl showed her mother the picture, she immediately contacted the cops. At first, Fisher denied the assault, but he admitted it when confronted with the picture.

A report by The Daily Mail says Fisher "admitted two offences of assault by penetration" over the past two years.

"[The victim's] quick thinking in using her games console to take a photograph of him touching her," said a police representative, "provided indisputable proof of what had happened and she was brave enough to come forward and report the incident and give us a full and accurate account of what had gone on."
http://kotaku.com/5897296/pedophile-caught-thanks-to-girls-nintendo-camera

Don't a few people here seem to rail against the US justice system for being ridiculous a lot? Well, if it is, the US is certainly not alone in its ridiculousness.
The first question that comes to mind here is what kind of system does the UK have for tracking and controlling known pedophilles and sex offenders.

Basically if this guy is going to get out of prison, never be able to find a job, and basically be limited to tiny areas of the community that are considered away from children, while having everyone informed and warned about what he did... well yeah, he's being punished and controlled rather solidly, taking up prison space beyonf the 3.5 years probably isn't nessicary.

That said, I'm a supporter of the idea of mandatory chemical castration for sex offenders, to prevent repete offenses and such, but needless to say that idea hasn't caught on (and there are a lot of reasons why, some quite good, even if I disagree with them).

I am curious how the UK handles this kind of thing if anyone knows, is this really a slap on the wrist, or is this guy's life going to be forever miserable and under control?
The UK is not great at keeping track of sex offenders: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12479925http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17085007
Some info on it there, but yeah, I seriously doubt this guys life will be ruined at all.
More likely he will just move and reoffend.

May 5, 2010
Oh for fuck's sake. Yes, it's a pathetically short sentence. But you know what?
MammothBlade said:
Bloody Hell, this is a complete f**king travesty of justice. He needs to be castrated, painfully.
Jedoro said:
Dude needs to suffer more than two "offences of assault by penetration" while he's doing time.
Melanie McGreevey said:
hopefully he has an "accident" while in prison, and his life slowly ebbs from his rotting corpse.
DanteLives said:
Should have chopped his hand off then threw him behind bars.
Seanfall said:
....What happened to the good old days when we use to Hang these mother fuckers?

So lets ignore the fact that pedophilia actually isn't the result of demonic possession, it's a psychological malfunction that can probably be "fixed" with enough effort. And even if he HAD done this just because he's a terrible person who likes making others suffer, how exactly does horribly killing him make the world SUCH a better place then if we just toss him in a cell for the rest of his life? Oh, and then there's this:
Esotera said:
Apparently no-one here has the ability to read secondary sources, because they alone have said that the abuser has borderline learning disabilities, and is getting a whole lot of treatment that goes far beyond 3.5 years.

You don't need to go to jail for hundreds of years to have effective punishment/rehabilitation.
Put in bold to get people's attention. Not that it'll help.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
Sonicron said:

In the UK?

I think not buddy.

You're looking at around 6 months, probably serve about 3 of that ... and that is only for repeat offenders.
Whoops, sorry - I was thinking USA. Silly me.. ^^°

Seanfall

May 3, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Oh for fuck's sake. Yes, it's a pathetically short sentence. But you know what?
MammothBlade said:
Bloody Hell, this is a complete f**king travesty of justice. He needs to be castrated, painfully.
Jedoro said:
Dude needs to suffer more than two "offences of assault by penetration" while he's doing time.
Melanie McGreevey said:
hopefully he has an "accident" while in prison, and his life slowly ebbs from his rotting corpse.
DanteLives said:
Should have chopped his hand off then threw him behind bars.
Seanfall said:
....What happened to the good old days when we use to Hang these mother fuckers?

So lets ignore the fact that pedophilia actually isn't the result of demonic possession, it's a psychological malfunction that can probably be "fixed" with enough effort. And even if he HAD done this just because he's a terrible person who likes making others suffer, how exactly does horribly killing him make the world SUCH a better place then if we just toss him in a cell for the rest of his life? Oh, and then there's this:
Esotera said:

Put in bold to get people's attention. Not that it'll help.
You assuming those who posted that give a crap about the abuser. I for one don't. I don't care about 'rehabilitation' I don't care if he was handicapped. I don't care if he gets shanked in prison. I don't care about him period. And as for pedophilia being 'fixed' Where's your source on that? Cause as far as I know there's no cure or fix. I know people who live their life's fighting the urges and don't give in but I have am not now nor was I ever aware of a 'cure' for this. The only cure is a bullet to the head.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Sonicron said:
Rawne1980 said:
Sonicron said:

In the UK?

I think not buddy.

Whoops, sorry - I was thinking USA. Silly me.. ^^°
See America, while mocked by some countries for having a strange justice system, likes to actually punish it's criminals.

Here in the UK you have to work really hard to be punished.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
Seanfall said:
Little2Raph said:
Care to elaborate, or explain that at all? I know a lot of systems across the ocean use the 'eye for an eye' method. But I'm not familiar with China's justice system.
I Think he means "slow slicing" which was a chinese method of execution back in ye ol' day of imperial China.

Therumancer said:
He will be tracked to a certain extent, and told where he can or cant go, ie: if he's parked by a play park his car registration would be flagged by a police Car-registration ID system and he could end up back in prison.
Also If he fails to tell the police any changes of his details, then he can be sent back to prison; back when I was a Special constable I was at an arrest of a rapist who failed to tell the police he was going to stay at a friend's flat over a fortnight, he subsequntly got 1.5 years in prison.

He also wont be able to find any work, would a manager employ a child molester over an equally qualified and innocent job seeker?

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
Yeesh, the amount of calls for castration and execution is pretty disgusting. If you want those kind of sentences for paedophiles there is a place you can go live for that, it's called Iran.

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
I agree. Threads that involve rape and/or child molesting seem to bring out a very violent Escapist. There is a reason why we (mostly) come from "civilised" countries. I understand people have strong opinions, and rape is a terrible thing, but it is not a crime punishable by death. It may ruin a life, but it doesn't end one. I consider murder to be more serious as life is precious. If we can "fix" a guy with problems instead of hanging him/chopping of his dick/having him rot in prison, why shouldn't we. He still has a right to try and be a functional member of society.

I do agree, though, that 3.5 years definitely isn't enough. He needs more, and the right rehab methods to hopefully stop him doing it again.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Yup, this countries idea of law and order is screwed. Guys like this get stupidly short sentences because "the prisons are full and we can't afford it", yet we somehow manage to send a guy to prison for almost two months for what is basically "saying some bad words on the internet" (no, the guy is still an idiot).

This country is so damn focused on saving money and "helping" prisoners with rehabilitation that we almost literally don't seem to give a shit what the victims feel anymore.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Burs said:
He also wont be able to find any work, would a manager employ a child molester over an equally qualified and innocent job seeker?
Considering that there are rules in place saying that a company cannot legally discriminate based on a large number of criteria after the government has deemed that person fit to return to work, it's not unlikely.

While it's also not unlikely that a few people will make up a different reason or simply not give a reason why they hired somebody else over him, it doesn't work that way.

Companies can also be encouraged/rewarded for helping to return these people as functioning members of society, the government will also push them towards employment and training schemes that will help.
You can't just decide to let the people with the crimes and problems society dislikes most rot on the streets.

I don't like people abusing children any more than the next person, but looking through this thread makes me sad at how few people really bother to read things and go straight for "OMG PAEDOPHILES MUST B PUNISHED HRDER, WTF IS WRNG WIV UR COUNTRY?"