UK Retailer Says PSP Go Will Be Dead on Arrival

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Joshimodo said:
An unnecessary and ugly sequel to an unpopular handheld won't sell well?

Well, there's a shocker.
50+ million units is hardly unpopular.

No, here's a SHOCKER:

Shocker Rider

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
bue519 said:
Ehhh better than getting a DS.
Nah, because the DS is actually comfortable to hold and use. The crap game/good game ratio is slightly in favour of the DS too.

JediMB said:
50+ million units is hardly unpopular.

No, here's a SHOCKER:

Shocker Rider
Versus the DS with 107 million+, it is.

Awesome spoiler by the way.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Keane Ng said:
"It's just silly for a retailer to say that they won't sell a big ticket gaming device because they can't sell the games," Pachter said. "Consumer electronics stores sell refrigerators and not food, everyone sells iPods and not the music for them; this position is just ridiculous."
Different distribution and profit models. How did Pachter get to be an "analyst" again?

Game stores make profit on games, not hardware. Games have reasonable per volume profit, game devices have low per volume profit (profit made per cubic metre of storage space devoted to the item).

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Joshimodo said:
That just makes it half as popular as the DS. Not unpopular.

(And, for the record, my only current-gen handheld is a DS.)

Joshimodo said:
Awesome spoiler by the way.
SHOCKER remodeled human, type "Hopper", mass production model.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
JediMB said:
Joshimodo said:

When there's only one competitor on the market, and you're barely scraping half their sales, I'm fairly sure that's unpopular.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Joshimodo said:
JediMB said:
Joshimodo said:

When there's only one competitor on the market, and you're barely scraping half their sales, I'm fairly sure that's unpopular.
If that's the case, then you might as well classify the Xbox 360 as unpopular.

Cocamaster

Apr 1, 2009
If there is a reason to consider the PSP Go dead on arrival, it's because it costs more than the current PSP3000 and does nothing significantly better.

Honestly, IF I wanted my games downloadable, what's stopping me from getting a PSP3000 and a 16GB MemoryStick Pro Duo for cheaper?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I at first was going to get the psp go but when I saw where its analogue stick was and where its d pad was as well I just thought no way the camera controlls for monster hunter would just get more akward...

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure its gonna bomb. It's an interesting concept, but the direct download market just hasn't gone mainstream enough yet, plus the onboard memory for the GO is pitiful considering how many games you might want. Plus what about all those PSP gamers who have invested in UMD's? Are Sony gonna give you a code to download your game for free? I've not heard much on that side of the argument - tbh I haven't really looked at much at all on the GO so know very little apart from the basic overview.

And yeh its ugly and looks uncomfortable.

Spleenbag

Dec 16, 2007
Therumancer said:
Predictions based on digital distribution were based around the idea that by cutting out things like burning discs, packaging, and distribution, games and other electronic content could be released far more cheaply to the market. The industry being what it is however, rather than seeing this happen, digially purchused games and such have continued costing as much as their store bought counterparts, while at the same time depriving customers of
having a "disc in hand" as well as things like documentation.
And lo, did the words of wisdom appear.

Devs, if you want us to take this stuff seriously, you should understand what this poster has outlined.

Plus, as far as I know, and as far as I've seen, the PSP was pretty bad, and this newest outing just looks like a shitty reinventing...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Joshimodo said:
An unnecessary and ugly sequel to an unpopular handheld won't sell well?

Well, there's a shocker.
And to think I was going to waste time posting this exact same opinion. Now I won't have to.

The only system Sony was making money on last I heard was the PS2. So obviously, what they should do is make another version of one of their systems that nobody's buying, right? Rather than, say, working on 100% B/C for their PS3s or coming out with a better PS2 model.

Scumpernickle

Sep 16, 2009
I have the 1st PSP to ever come out and I still love it. I'm not going to buy the new PSP, it looks like a phone not a handheld console.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
ShopTo ?
Never heard of it

I might get a PSPgo if making games for it is fairly easy

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
It's fundamentally the same processing power as a PSP but with a larger screen? And no UMD drive? If I'm correct in my assumptions, I can't envisage why anyone would want to buy it.
The PSP's been around -what?- over four years, so you'd think that anyone wanting something like this would have got it by now.