UK Student Protests: Wheelchair-bound student dragged across the road by police officer, BBC defend

Jackhorse

Jul 4, 2010
cjbos81 said:
This guy is a joke. He uses his disability as an excuse to pull this kind of crap.

When anyone uses their disability as an excuse, they deserve what they get.
No... I think you are wrong. Very wrong in a manner that angers me. He does not use it as an excuse only as a defense to the claims he was hurling missiles at and menacing policemen. Also there is something clearly wrong with hurting the defenceless whether that be the elderly, the very young or the disabled.
The man wasn't doing anything wrong so why would he need an excuse in the first place? Insulting police officers? For shame, even their riot sheilds and truncheons and cavalry and dogs can't protect them from that. I shed a tear for the officer who's feelings were so hurt by this malicious, spiteful, venemous crippled lad that he was forced to drag him from his wheelchair across hard ground in a perfectly acceptable display of displeasure.
No... Your wrong. I'm afraid I'm fairly certain now.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
You know, after watching this at home on my bigger screen, it's pretty clear to me that someone was wheeling the chair... and the kid dove. Watch the cop in the yellow jacket to the kid's left as the kid hits the ground. That cop isn't "dragging" him to the ground, he's following him to the ground trying to keep hold.

They were wheeling the kid out of the street, and he took a dive. Watch it a few times, and it's clear as day what happened.

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
I'm sorry, but this is fucking disgusting. Either there are some really messed up paranoid morons in here, or simple overindulgent trolls. The man is in a fucking -wheelchair-. How do you expect him to entice violence and hate? By -sitting-? Or is attending a protest illegal for crippled and disabled? Is he somehow alienated from basic human rights? Perhaps from proper treatment?
The guy can't push his own fucking method of disabled aid, he has to have someone aid him in that, and the reporter deliberately asks if he -threw- something to have this come for him? This has an eerie feel to it... what was it... Something about Toronto, and G20... Oh wait. -.-

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Immediately?
I was the first poster, and I've been "discussing" this with people for most of the day. and here's teh statistic: COMMON MOTHER FUCKING SENSE. if a felony convict can't get a job(police), and felony convicts exist(the do, last time i checked), and felony convicts are inferior to the average man(the assumption upon which many instutions are based upon, including the sex offendor registry, the prison system, ect.). The only conclusion that can be reached is that the peope who work a job that rejects felony convicts, and other individuals that police institutions reject because they are considered sub-par, the people who work this jub must be statistically better and more trustworth. Try again.
I'd like to point out two logical fallacies in that argument. First, convicts must first be arrested, yes? That's the job of the police. So really, what you're saying is that Group A decides candidates for Group B(since all arrests aren't convictions). Group B consists solely of some of the people picked by Group A, and is thus inferior. Now, I don't actually think cops are just arresting people they don't like or something similar, but Group A not consisting on a group they've essentially created is in no way proof of their superiority. Make sense?

Second, you seem to ignore the fact that positions of power would be more attractive to those who would like to abuse that power. Vetting someone based on their record doesn't do anything to stop someone who either hasn't been caught, or has been holding back because they want to get into a position where they'll occasionally get an excuse to beat the hell out of someone.

kc_lax

May 12, 2010
even if he was provoking the police could have handled it a lot better as in jts weeled him to the side.
and kettling i dont think ever works at defusing situations,it just winds people up simple psychology overcrowding leads to aggressive behaviour.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
When I watch COPS or any police show it almost always looks like they are using excessive force to me.

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
"political activist and blogger"
So "attention seeker"? Sorry but they shouldn't have been rioting in the first place! The people who set fires and vandalized property totally undermined the entire protest! What was he doing in the street in the first place? I don't agree with people playing the disabled card when it suits them! He wants equal rights he got his equal rights!

I cant quite make out what they're saying but I'm pretty sure one of the two guys speaking in the first few seconds says, referring to the "Wheelchair bound" student, "He gave a talk and it was amazing hes a fucking hard nut" So inciting a riot! Should have been arrested and probably got away with it because hes "disabled" BUT that's just my speculation! Perhaps he was shouting random Internet memes at officers and they weren't amused that he was firing his lazers!

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
Geekosaurus said:
He clearly isn't doing it 'for no reason.' A story about a cop dragging a disabled boy across the road is much better than a story about a disabled boy being crushed in a confrontation. Maybe they should stop bitching about the education cuts and pay for their own bloody education. Well, that's my opinion on the subject.
He didn't have to humiliate the boy, he could have pushed the wheelchair out of the road.
Well form the video it looks like the wheelchair guy is being pretty resistant.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
To Be honest most of these students deserve whatever they get from the police. Basic self defense law comes in, they attack you, you attack back! i say get the batons out and show them they can't just protest violently without consequences.

As for the Disabled student, he is pretty much defenseless. Not saying that because he is disabled he can't defend himself, but more they should have dealt with him in a more proper manner by wheeling him to the side or something.

Edit: Also they are babbling on about how they are going to have to fork out more money for university fee's, when on there protests they are smashing shop windows in costing innocent people money for something that doesn't involve them.

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Prove it. It's a one minute video, you have no proof as to what happened that caused the cop to act this way. For all we know, the cripple deserved it. He is a cop, if you can't trust him not to abuse cripples, how can you trust him to uphold justice and the law? Interesting philisophical question right there. Why do we allways assume the cop is at fault when one of these show's up, and not the other way around? My bet is on projection. We identify more with the non-cop, therefore we project ourselves onto the non-cop and think "I wouldn't have done anything wrong so it must be the cop's fault" sub-consciously at least. That's my two cents, not that I have any reasonable credentials for that to be taken as fact, but it IS my opinion.
Damnit, my entire feelings summed up in the first post and quoted by majority of the people in this thread. I'm too late to add any witty retorts or such. Anyways, what this guy above me stated pretty much nailed it on the head. Too few details, kid might have deserved it. Though the cops could have used the wheelchair to move him away, but he would have to be taken out sooner or later if put in cuffs and then put into any car or such, just the dragging I might have a problem with. But hey, those cops were having enough of all these protests and being in the middle of one might make people think less clearly. No one can be truly clear at such a high tension point such as what was going on. So as long as the cop acted fairly for the most part, he's okay in my books, but may need to rethink this to prevent possible future occurring.

PS: The kids who kept shouting at the cops and started to get in their faces should be arrested or pushed back, I would have done that if I was a cop and someone was trying me like that.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
NeedAUserName said:
LightspeedJack said:
spartan231490 said:
But what could he have possibly done, you can see he is just sitting there, what possible threat could this hadicaped person have done to warrant being draggeda across the road.
He could have been trying to incite a riot/violence or anything like that.
I don't think inciting violence really warrants being dragged across the asphalt. I don't know the story, and I don't know that the handicapped person wasn't doing SOMETHING. If a disabled person breaks the law or have some other risk factor about them, they should be treated as anyone else ... but even if its to restrain them .... dragging them... really?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Wicky_42 said:
You have no idea what he did or didn't do. It's a god damned 1 minute video with a biased reporting link. There is absolutely nothing on this video to suggest that this kid didn't deserve exactly what he got, and a few things taht suggest he deserved exactly what he god. Like the fact that the police officer could have had no alterior motive for, as you sensationally say, "physically abuse" the kid. What, do you think the police officer got run over by a speeding wheelchair and now hates all the cripples. the kids handicap would have identified him as low threat, and therefore the cop would have had pretty compelling evidence to go after him, and that's not even accounting for the fact that in that crowd, it was obviously going to be caught on camera, if not film, so he would have to be retarded to act without a reason. THe only evidence that can be inferred from this video is that the kid deserved it. any other reaction is a projection of your own mistrust of authority, or your own patronization of people in wheelchars by automatically raising to thier defense, even if they may be wrong, based on the belief that they can only be victims.
...you keep acting like the circumstances in some way absolve the police of any guilt. Take a step back and try to come up with one thing that would legitimise the police's physical restraint and force on a guy so crippled that he couldn't wheel his own chair around. The worst angry words could cause would be a simple talking to, or, in the event he says something illegal he could have easily been wheeled off and arrested. There was no crowd surrounding him, he was, in fact, just sat in a clear part of the street - no immediate pressure on the police, and yet what we clearly see is an officer run over, drag him out of his chair and across the street.

It's pathetic to continue to so staunchly support the police, assuming that they are in the right even whilst discounting counter-points 'because there's no evidence' - make your mind up!
spartan231490 said:
There is absoulutely no evidence in these videos...
Ok, so no evidence (well, other than the clearly recorded police action)
If he wasn't in a wheelchair, this wouldn't even be a discussion.
well, that's kinda the point - him being crippled and all makes it that much more unbelievable that the police would need to do something like that, rather than in a normal random police mugging you could always say 'he probably was doing something'
all evidence(the very loose assumption that most cops are neither evil dickhead sociopaths nor cripplingly retarded) points to the fact that the kid deserved it.
Erm, we said no evidence, remember? Assumption =/= evidence. So there's nothing saying the kid deserved it - it is quite simply a video of a couple of cops roughing up a cripple at a protest where fear tactics have been commonly used. Do the maths, stop being so naive and hypocritical in your arguments.

Claymorez

Our King
Apr 20, 2009
LightspeedJack said:
A video has surfaced on Youtube of a disabled student with cerebal palsy being pulled out of a wheelchair and dragged across the road for no reason by a cop.

This is an interview with the student on BBC News. The BBC are at every oppertunity trying to spin the situation in the police's favour. The police force made no attempt to apologize or recognise the sickening act in any way. The cop supposedly did this to incite violence from the other students.

**SORRY THIS POSTED TWICE IS WAS A PROBLEM WITH MY INTERNET CONNECTION, I APOLOGIZE.
That is truly disgusting behaviour for an officer to take part in.

Worcester Sauce said:
To non-Brits, please take our situation with a pinch of salt.
British police are famous for not being able to control riots/large groups of people and resort very quickly to violence, their favorite being baton hits to the head. The student situation is a real mess atm.

To all people who believe he could have been any threat at all, you're seriously "f"ed in the head. He can barely string a sentence without having to pause, how could he "incite" a riot?

One problem looming over everyones heads is that the students are claiming more and more power in the uk. In fact the only reason half of our government was elected was because one of the parties claimed they would protect students and instead, decided to hang them.
And yet we still are widely regarded as having the best riot police in the world.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
infinity_turtles said:
spartan231490 said:
Immediately?
I was the first poster, and I've been "discussing" this with people for most of the day. and here's teh statistic: COMMON MOTHER FUCKING SENSE. if a felony convict can't get a job(police), and felony convicts exist(the do, last time i checked), and felony convicts are inferior to the average man(the assumption upon which many instutions are based upon, including the sex offendor registry, the prison system, ect.). The only conclusion that can be reached is that the peope who work a job that rejects felony convicts, and other individuals that police institutions reject because they are considered sub-par, the people who work this jub must be statistically better and more trustworth. Try again.
I'd like to point out two logical fallacies in that argument. First, convicts must first be arrested, yes? That's the job of the police. So really, what you're saying is that Group A decides candidates for Group B(since all arrests aren't convictions). Group B consists solely of some of the people picked by Group A, and is thus inferior. Now, I don't actually think cops are just arresting people they don't like or something similar, but Group A not consisting on a group they've essentially created is in no way proof of their superiority. Make sense?

Second, you seem to ignore the fact that positions of power would be more attractive to those who would like to abuse that power. Vetting someone based on their record doesn't do anything to stop someone who either hasn't been caught, or has been holding back because they want to get into a position where they'll occasionally get an excuse to beat the hell out of someone.
I was saying that police departments don't hire convicts, which are generally considered below average, raising the statistical mean of the police force over that of the general populace. Not that cops are superior because they choose convicts. Convicts choose themselves when they choose to break the law.

Second, there are much easier ways to get to beat on people, like being a bouncer, or a boxer, or doing martial arts.

For the last time, I don't beleive that all cops are better than all non-cops, I'm saying that the average cop is likely to be better than the average non-cop, because many "undesirables" cannot qualify to be police officers.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
spartan231490 said:
I was the first poster, and I've been "discussing" this with people for most of the day.
some might say (more accurately) 'trolling'
and here's teh statistic: COMMON MOTHER FUCKING SENSE.
ah yes, of course - it's all so obvious now that you're basing your entire argument on what you think!
if a felony convict can't get a job(police), and felony convicts exist(the do, last time i checked), and felony convicts are inferior to the average man(the assumption upon which many instutions are based upon, including the sex offendor registry, the prison system, ect.)
That's... not a complete sentence. You're saying that there are people with criminal records who have a harder time getting employment? And you take that as meaning that they are inferior? You mean from an employment perspective, or a moral one? Doesn't seem relevant, tbh, but maybe you clear it up in the next sentence...
The only conclusion that can be reached is that the peope who work a job that rejects felony convicts, and other individuals that police institutions reject because they are considered sub-par, the people who work this jub must be statistically better and more trustworth. Try again.
Ok, so if your employer doesn't employ people with criminal records then he's 'statistically better and more trustworthy'? Are these your "COMMON MOTHER FUCKING SENSE" statistics? Basically, you're saying that "cops are good because they work in a job that doesn't employ criminals. Cops are good, therefore what they do is good. They hurt a cripple, and cops are good, so cripple is therefore bad." Is that seriously the extent of the argument that you've been waging this entire thread? Wow. That is a very... direct line of thinking.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
He just asked the guy with cerebral palsy whether he was throwing things at the police. -.-;

Spritzey

May 18, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
LightspeedJack said:
He didn't have to humiliate the boy, he could have pushed the wheelchair out of the road.
That seems like a valid suggestion at first but you have to remember that there was a core of protesters doing everything they could to cause violence.

And no, they weren't "anarchist groups and gangs", they were mostly students. The NUS has already got into severe trouble for egging students on. That was the students, they just won't admit to it.

Now imagine that you've got a group that's committed to causing violence and there's a guy in a wheelchair where he shouldn't be and no one's with him. Is he disabled? Is he able and just sitting in a wheelchair? You won't know until you try and move him...and him running off is the BEST outcome.

The worst of course being a screwdriver through the ribcage.

Seriously, I know students, I am a student and I know quite a few of the protesters and let me tell you, when they got going they would have done ANYTHING mob psychology demanded.
Then why try move him at all?? If anything the officer in question is very much lucky he did not incite the violence of the mentioned mob mentality, if anything his action was a provocation to a group who would already be on edge.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Way to vague, though it does seem out of Control.

Guy in Wheelchair (I'll let them off the hook for not realizing he had cerebral paulsy, it seemed dark) was in a wheelchair, after all, and the police had many other people to confront who... You know... Weren't in wheelchairs.